Learning Curve

sschrick

Is there always a learning curve with triggers on new guns?

I thought once I had the fundamentals, I could transfer that to any new pistol and be accurate right out of the gate. Well, not for me. I have really learned the Springfield XD trigger and got a new EMP recently and at my first range trip, I shot it like crap.

my accuracy was terrible.

What do I need to do (other than shoot 10,000_+ rounds) to be able to pick up any gun and shoot it accurately?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TresOsos

Get a S&W or Colt DA Revolver, spend a year or 2 shooting several thousands of rounds a year mastering double action shooting with it.

Most guns and triggers will be a piece of cake to adjust too after that.

Yes, there is ALWAYS a learning curve. With some pistols the learning curve is shorter than others. There is a reason why target pistols have a short trigger travel, crisp let-off, and short reset distance. As mentioned above, learning to shoot a double-action revolver well makes most other pistols easier to master. If nothing else, the long travel and double-action will graphically teach you the mechanics of how your trigger finger affects the front sight movement.

Guest Lester Weevils

In addition to the trigger itself, it may involve the different grip size/shape, causing the trigger finger to "naturally lay" a different position on the trigger? Learning to put the proper part of the finger on the trigger to avoid pulling left/right?

Is there always a learning curve with triggers on new guns?

I thought once I had the fundamentals, I could transfer that to any new pistol and be accurate right out of the gate. Well, not for me. I have really learned the Springfield XD trigger and got a new EMP recently and at my first range trip, I shot it like crap.

my accuracy was terrible.

What do I need to do (other than shoot 10,000_+ rounds) to be able to pick up any gun and shoot it accurately?

Yes, because some triggers are long, heavy, sloppy, or otherwise just hard to use. Excessive force and long pulls mess up aiming, as you flex and move more muscle to do the job. Also yes, because on the other side a trigger job that takes no movement and .3 pounds of force will have someone not used to such guns shooting by accident while still in the process of aiming, and takes a while to learn fine control. I do not know of many average folks who could pick up both a DA revolver and shoot equally nice, tight groups at say 25 yards, once with the DA pull and then again cocking it each time for a SA pull. Maybe a few folks can, but not many.

Yes, there is a learning curve. I was on the Police Pistol Team and bought three Colt Pythons at three different times because I was told they were spectacular. I was a Smith & Wesson shooter and did terrible with them. One of our Colt shooters said it was because I wasn’t use to the longer trigger pull. He shot when them and did great. I shot my 686 and beat him. Could I have learned to shoot it? Sure, but my conclusion was there was no need.

I sure wish I had kept those Pythons though. They would have financed some pretty nice guns today. ;)