Mike.357

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You wrote:

"Has anyone ever heard of anyone who did not follow 922r and gotten in dutch over it?"

Nope.

"How would the BATFE even know how many parts you changed out?"

Lot's of guys post this stuff on forums like this one. That's not a good idea. Also, some 922r reg transgressions are visible on the face of things: a new stock, a large mag, etc. etc.

They don't have to prove you haven't met the 922 regs. YOU have to prove that you HAVE met the 922 regs.

As you imply, it has not been a problem up to now, but it could be someday.

Your compliance with 922r is a personal decision about which you must choose wisely, and be discreet.

Guest bkelm18

Nope, never heard of anyone getting busted over 922r. But, the law's the law. Might as well cover your butt and go with the flow.

If your cooking meth or growing grass and they find your Norinco thumb hole AK now has a folder and 30 rd mag they would probably give you a little more of a tough time. For the extra $100 or so it would take to swap out the fire control and piston, it would be worth not having to deal with the charge, even if you're not cooking something.

922r is iffy. I recently saw a SAIGA-12 that had been home converted to a pistol grip gun. It was for sale in a local gun shop. I looked and it was obviously not 922r compliant. You have to wonder if you buy a gun like that from a gun shop, and then later get charged, is the gun shop at fault too for selling you an illegal gun? Most people buying from a store don't expect it to be illegal.

bandito that is exactly what i thought. I have seen converted SKS's in gun shops. How can you really tell if there are home grown parts inside of it or if it is original.

i dunno but I am guessing there are plenty of people at large who buy SKS's and try to make them tacticool not having the first clue that there even is such a thing as 922r. I saw a tacticool stock at a gunshow last year. Well actually a table full of them but the guy sold no other SKS parts. The stock had no literature with it advising that changing it out could be a problem.

I think CTD sells a 922r kit along with a stock and that kit I guess would make the gun compliant. But interestingly the stock does not accomodate a bayonet. That would have to be removed first.

i guess it is a good law. we all know how evil pistol grips are and of course there are killings and other crimes commited hourly with bayonets.

Guest tngunman

You only need 5 parts to be OK with an AK. US stock, US pg, US trigger group. You are already swapping the stock and grip and upgrading to a US trigger group is a real upgrade for most AKs. It is $30 well spent that makes it feel better. Most people appreciate the US trigger even if it is not a requirement. I guarantee that if you shoot and AK with a US trigger group you won't want to remove it.

I guarantee that if you shoot and AK with a US trigger group you won't want to remove it.

Generally true....Chinese double hook triggers are better than any US trigger though. That said the Poly-Tech and Mak-90 kalashnikov variants are ones I would not change the trigger in. If we were allowed to import ammunition and weapons from China my sig line would probably be in Chinese not Russian.

Edited by Urse

I’ve seen this question posted several times on the net and have not seen anyone reply that they have been arrested.

I think most of these minor laws would be add on charges. I would guess that it would all depend on how and why the ATF was looking at you or your weapons.