I'm Gonna Love This Project

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

Originally Posted by The Rabbi viewpost.gif

When I started I would have said the shotgun was the ideal HD weapon. I am far less convinced of that now.

I have always said that my handguns are just to keep them off of me untill I can get to my long or at least somewhat longer guns.

IMHO and that of many respected and more importantly, surviving tactical shotgunners the first thing you must realize when it comes to shotguns for indoor use (home defense) is that not just any old "feather duster" will do. Shotguns come in different sizes for a reason. For hunkering down purposes I keep this jewel loaded and parked in my bedroom corner-

Lg.jpg

Size LG

Sorry for the poor photo quality but a cell phone is all I've got right now for photos. It's an 870 with an extended magazine, Mesa Tactical sidesaddle, M-4 stock and pistol grip. The loads on the menue for the BG are #00 and slug.

For moving around the house purposes here is a medium size shotty-

Medium.jpg

Size Medium

First let me say that when under attack in your home you would be better advised to hunker down in a secure location with a clear line of fire through a pre-determined kill zone and wait for back-up (the cops). Despite what you see on TV, not even trained police officers want to clear a house alone, without back-up unless forced by circumstance. Unless you must get to other family members for their own safety, STAY PUT. But, if you must move, this 870 with an 11 7/8" barrel (29 " over-all length), the same Mesa Tactical sidesaddle, M-4 stock and pistol grip makes it much easier to work in confined spaces such as hallways and bathrooms. Also, a clear and thorough understanding of how to operate a long gun in a confined space would be required for survival otherwise Ayoob and Awerbuck may both be correct. I have seen and practiced taking a shotgun/rifle away from it's operator before in training exercises. In those cases it was only embarassing for the operator. In a real confrontation it would have been deadly.

Now, for extremely confined spaces such as an RV, camping trailor, tent or automobile the Size Small is what is needed-

4.jpg

The Long and short of it_01

Lg_Sm_Shotguns.jpg

The Long and short of it_02

Here is my Size Small 870 with along with it's Size Large brother. The little one has an 11 7/8" barrel, is 23" over-all and works wonderfully in small confined spaces. It has a birdshead grip and a Mesa Tactical 4-spot sidesaddle allowing me to carry 9 rounds onboard the shotgun including one in the chamber.

As a woodworker I have a variety of hammers. They are all for different applications. Shotguns though more expensive than hammers are like any other tool. Different set-ups for different jobs. If you can only afford one, choose one that will cover the widest range of needs you are likely to face and practice, practice, practice with it to meet the needs of your surroundings.

BTW, Austin's Tennessee Firearms is now a Mesa Tactical dealer. If you would like to dress up your old feather duster send me a PM or come by the shop in Oak Ridge (3-7 PM M-Sat) and we'll help you get your shotty set up to fight something besides birds or clays. In about two weeks we'll be able to help you out with getting your own Lg., Med. and Sm. tools as well. :D

The best thing about a shotgun for Home Land Defence (hehe) is the racking of the shell itself. That is the biggest deterent for home invaders period. You hear the shell being racked and you know that very distinctive sound. Anyone else?

And it lets the intruder know exactly were you are.

The best thing about a shotgun for Home Land Defence (hehe) is the racking of the shell itself. That is the biggest deterent for home invaders period. You hear the shell being racked and you know that very distinctive sound. Anyone else?

I'm of mixed feelings about this. while MOST of the times it will scare the pants off an intruder, part of me thinks "all this is going to do is let the invader know that I'm armed with a shotgun"..

If there's someone in my house that is intent on either doing me harm or stealing from me, I want all the advantages...I'd want an automatic.

Another part of me thinks..no problem..the psychological advantages outweigh the other considerations.

MY intent is to keep my family safe and my possibles secure.

also, I want to say "awesome post" to Phantom6!!!

The sound a BG will hear from mine is a boom,no rack needed :popcorn:

I keep mine next to my bed.I figure if anyone breaks in I will grab it and let them find me.Once they open my bedroom door its on like donkey kong.From my bedroom I have an open view of the entire hall including the other bedroom and bath,so theres no hiding

Ohh,Molon,no hurry whenever you can get around to coming out ;)

And it lets the intruder know exactly were you are.

I thought about this. I think it's nonsense. Try it sometime. Turn off the lights. Have someone go downstairs or wherever access into the house is. As soon as you hear them, rack the gun. Then ask them where you are.

I will bet, with walls, furniture, and other sounds distorting the racking noise, no one will be able to pinpoint where you are.

And of course, you can always move.

has anyone on here put optics on their home-defense shotgun? ive seen a couple of setups with a small red dot or a holographic type sight ( eotech). do they work better than say a bead sight or ghost ring sights?

I have a red dot on mine(look back for a picture)Yes it is easier to get on target,but you do have to stop and turn it on first.It will however double as a ghost ring sight when off by using the sides as the ghost ring.

I got mine for the range really......and to impress me friends :popcorn:

Guest kwikrnu

I can understand the need for someone to have a defensive weapon at home. I have a shotgun, but it is a 12 gauge piece of crap no name black plastic job. If a criminal happens to enter the house I'm going to get the gun, get the kids, call 911 and wait for the sheriff or his deputy to "clear" the house.

Pistols which shoot the shot shells may work for those who don't want a shotgun. I've never had one or shot one though.

I can understand the need for someone to have a defensive weapon at home. I have a shotgun, but it is a 12 gauge piece of crap no name black plastic job. If a criminal happens to enter the house I'm going to get the gun, get the kids, call 911 and wait for the sheriff or his deputy to "clear" the house.

Pistols which shoot the shot shells may work for those who don't want a shotgun. I've never had one or shot one though.

Ohh,I didn't know Glock made a shotgun :P

Sorry,but someone was going to say it

...Pistols which shoot the shot shells may work for those who don't want a shotgun. I've never had one or shot one though.

The only ones which I am aware of are .410 revolvers, the Thunder 5 and Taurus Judge... I've shot one, and it felt impressively powerful, but for practical useage the extreme spread of the shot and the availability of useful defensive loads in that caliber are woefully lacking. They are best relegated to use as snake guns.

Now, if somebody would make a 20ga or 12ga revolver, I'd be all over that... :P

Why not? :eek: It'd make a much more economical and useful utility gun than a S&W .500, and with slugs would have similar recoil characteristics... (that cylinder would be pretty big though... probably about 2-1/2" in diameter...)

Now, if somebody would make a 20ga or 12ga revolver, I'd be all over that... :eek:

i heard a rumor that taurus might be developing a 12gauge pistol called "The God". although it wasnt determined if they would follow through with it as it woudl have to be classified as a AOW.