Thinking about a relocation to East TN

Guest turnandshoot4

Guest NYCrulesU

Not wanting to hijack...

Can some of you guys tell me the average house RENTAL prices in your areas. Both for 3 bdr/2 ba and 2 bdr/1 ba.

I'm in White county paying $400/month for a 2/1. Wife wants OUT of White county ASAP.

I would love to find a brick house with basement for rent. More country setting...less city. I check LSN daily...not a lot out there.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wanting to hijack...

Can some of you guys tell me the average house RENTAL prices in your areas. Both for 3 bdr/2 ba and 2 bdr/1 ba.

I'm in White county paying $400/month for a 2/1. Wife wants OUT of White county ASAP.

I would love to find a brick house with basement for rent. More country setting...less city. I check LSN daily...not a lot out there.

In this area.... nearly double what you're paying.

I looked for a rental house when we first moved here (Maryville) and was astounded at the cost. A tiny place in a poor location was $600/mo. A tiny place in a reasonable location was $800. A 3br/2ba, $1000+. I ended up in 2br/2ba condo/apt complex for $850. The housing market has continued to slide in this area since then, so prices may have come down some.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turnandshoot4

Where can I look online?

I have been looking at unitedcountry.com and I have found a few places I have liked. I am looking for realtors for any area but there are 10,000 of them because they do vacation rental properties as well.

Any suggestions? I would need a realtor for NE, NW, and now central south. We will be in your beautiful state 3/5-3/11.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turnandshoot4

I tried searching on those websites but they don't let you search for acreage.

Craigslist has helped though. After I filter out most of the scams I have found some interesting homes.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest turnandshoot4

So I made it to TN this week. It has been amazing to say the least.

We will be walking some trails tomorrow, but Thursday and Friday will be these two loops.

Townsend, Maryville, Lenoir City, Farragut, and Alcoa.

Friday we will be going to:

Morristown, Greenville, and Newport.

I am just having a horrible time finding property. I really want something that I can shoot on. I have yet to find anything with more than 23 acres. I hope that collecting local papers will lead to a more fruitful search. MLS.com hasn't been very helpful.

Guest turnandshoot4

Should I buy a paper or would the magazine be better?

I am not looking for a cookie cutter home in a subdivision.

I'm looking for a small hobby farm.

Guest turnandshoot4

We drove through Townsend today and it was beautiful! The area around Maryville was different but equally beautiful.

Our biggest issue is finding a good bit of land. We picked up papers to look at the classifieds today to get a feel for the market.

We might just be putting our house up for sale when we get back.

You can search by area, acreage,price range, and lots of other factors on Realtyiii.com. You can also look for just land, lots of pictures and a map with all of the counties in the area! Let me know if I can help with anything, I am not a realtor but I am always looking at what is new on the market! At some point I might sell and buy land but for now this is home!!!

Jonesborough is a great place too, 20 mins from the JC Medical Center and others. Came from CA looking for green open spaces and peace and quiet but wanted to be close to shopping, etc. We love it here.

Medical jobs seem to be the main industry here so you are good to go there. The medical centers have a good reputation too.

We used zillow.com when we were looking. It's not always the most accurate but gives you a good idea where to look.

Also, when there are tornados in east TN all we get is a little rain and wind. We seem to be in a little bubble here from weather.

Edited by Romad7
Guest turnandshoot4

You can search by area, acreage,price range, and lots of other factors on Realtyiii.com. You can also look for just land, lots of pictures and a map with all of the counties in the area! Let me know if I can help with anything, I am not a realtor but I am always looking at what is new on the market! At some point I might sell and buy land but for now this is home!!!

Thank you for this website!!!!!!!!!!!

We are back and done looking. We really love NE TN. It was exactly what we are looking for. We will be putting our house up for sale when we get home. I don't know how long it will take to sell it though.

I work at the Johnson City Medical Center, you will have no problems walking into a job there, the website to look for careers there is www.msha,com . Administration is very "nurse friendly" and pays better than most systems. TriCities area you should have no problems finding the hobby farm you are looking for, stay away from the actual cities and land is cheap and plentiful. Be aware that Kingsport has one of the larger chemical plants in the south, it smells and has the occasional fish kill and health hazards that go along with that. The TriCities has a moderate crime rate (the rural south you are going to run into drug problems, its a plague but still nothing like city living at least), the school systems are better than most in the state which you should factor in if you have kids or intend on having them.

Hawkins county, Unicoi county or Carter county are all going to be located close to your work and cheap on land. The alternate health system is wellmont.org also a good system to work for.