Thinking about a relocation to East TN

Guest turnandshoot4

Guest turnandshoot4

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on here but I have a question for ya.

I am a lifetime Indiana native and fell in love with TN after a trip to the mountains. Currently I am a nurse in the ER in Gary, IN (horrible place) and I'm looking into getting my TN license if we move. Our career is pretty flexible so that helps. My wife and I love the outdoors. I am an avid shooter, gun rights activist, and aspiring hobby farmer.

What I am looking for:

1. Quiet

2. Space

Here are my questions:

1. About how much land/house could I get for the $200,000-$250,000 range? I don't want anything fancy as far as a house but I can't find ANYTHING for sale online that isn't a $4,000,000 mansion. A ranch on 100 wooded acres would be good for me. I want to be able to shoot (long range too), hunt, 4 wheel, and camp on my own land.

2. How would be the best way of buying in TN? I have considered moving and renting for a year to find the right place. I don't want to just buy a place and have no idea what the area/market is. Schools aren't a huge issue as we will most likely home school. (2 RNs in this house)

We are considering coming down for a week in March. Is there a good way to check out the greater East TN area? We will have a car and be staying in the Pigeon Forge area.

Thanks again everyone! You helped me out in the past and it made me want to move to your wonderful state. I have missed it since I left.

Byron

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might try looking in some of the communities North, West & East of Knoxville, too. Like La Follette, Clinton, Harriman, New Tazewell, Morristown or even Crossville which is up on the Cumberland Plateau. Gave a friend from Florida a heads up on Cookeville and he found a great place on 80 acres for about a third of what he was looking at over in the more "touristy" areas.

Moved down here myself from Western Kansas nearly five years ago and love it!

You need to look in Greeneville, Erwin area. One of the prettiest places in the state yet not a tourist attraction. I would steer clear of Townsend, wears Valley, Walland, just because if the increase is property price. They are great places, but would take some serious searching and waiting to find something in your budget.

Rural land with timber is gonna run $1000-$2000+ per acre that's without a house. So 100ac might be a little ambitious for your budget. If you find land you like for under $1000 per acre, look into why it's so low. Maybe bad drug/crime area, poor timber, or maybe they just need to sell it fast

Sent from my Mom's basement

You'll have to steer well clear of the metro areas to find something like that. People tend to want $2000+/ac for 60deg sloped mountain sides around here.

You might find something like that in upper east TN (the far east, as we call it). I used to live there, and loved it. There's lots of really pretty country around... generally anything east of Lebanon, IMO.

As for the best way to see it... lots and lots of driving. Find an area you like? Ask. Seems like we've got members from virtually everywhere who'll provide honest opinions.

You really need to check out Greeneville, TN. A lot of great land for sale right now. Within the next 6 months I might have a couple of places that will fit the bill. (I'm not realtor). I've lived in Greeneville all of my life and while I am only 21 I have found this to be a great place to live. And depending on what end of the county you live on, because this is a big county, you will be no more that 30 mins from either Johnson City or Morristown. You will not regret moving to East TN, and if I can't help you find something, I know of a couple really good realtor's that could help you find just about anything. Like lumber_jack said though, for your price range 100 acres is going be to much with your budget but I'm sure you can find something that will suit you for that kind of money. If you want to PM me I wouldn't mind helping you find your way around Greeneville if you want to take a stroll around.

All good advice. You'll have to get into a rural area, away from the cities. That also means limited services, employment and shopping opportunities. I'd advise renting for a while and taking your time looking for property. Finding a decent place to rent in a rural area or small town can be a big task also.

Of course, if you're planning on continuing your career in nursing, you'll want to be within easy driving distance of a hospital or other medical facility, so that would dictate being near one or several small towns. There are places in East Tennessee that aren't within 80 miles of the nearest McDonald's. :D

Green Acres is the place for me! :D

Edited by enfield
Guest FroggyOne2

There is this big house for sale in Morgan Co. On Flat Fork Rd, been up for sale for about 4 years now.. worth looking at.. prob in your price range, no one else in the area can afford it.. It has a gate on the driveway.. Don't remember the realtor that has the listing.. but it is owned by a fellow by the last name of Armes.

Guest turnandshoot4
Try staying in Townsend and have a look around that area (but not IN Townsend I would imagine).

Maryville is really nice too.

You just need to get far enough away from the 'investment properties' and the prices come down quickly

I will try to look into it. Are these counties or towns? Sorry, I really don't know the area. I will check it out on google maps.

Thanks for the info!

Might try looking in some of the communities North, West & East of Knoxville, too. Like La Follette, Clinton, Harriman, New Tazewell, Morristown or even Crossville which is up on the Cumberland Plateau. Gave a friend from Florida a heads up on Cookeville and he found a great place on 80 acres for about a third of what he was looking at over in the more "touristy" areas.

How did you find your location? Did you use a realtor? Did you move straight from Kansas? Would you do anything differently? I am in the same boat so give me some pointers! Thanks!!

You need to look in Greeneville, Erwin area. One of the prettiest places in the state yet not a tourist attraction. I would steer clear of Townsend, wears Valley, Walland, just because if the increase is property price. They are great places, but would take some serious searching and waiting to find something in your budget.

Rural land with timber is gonna run $1000-$2000+ per acre that's without a house. So 100ac might be a little ambitious for your budget. If you find land you like for under $1000 per acre, look into why it's so low. Maybe bad drug/crime area, poor timber, or maybe they just need to sell it fast

I am not looking to sell the timber. I just want to heat my house with it. Are there bad crime areas in the country? Up here the crime areas are the cities and I want a rural area for sure. Well, flush toilet rural areas. :eek:

You'll have to steer well clear of the metro areas to find something like that. People tend to want $2000+/ac for 60deg sloped mountain sides around here.

You might find something like that in upper east TN (the far east, as we call it). I used to live there, and loved it. There's lots of really pretty country around... generally anything east of Lebanon, IMO.

As for the best way to see it... lots and lots of driving. Find an area you like? Ask. Seems like we've got members from virtually everywhere who'll provide honest opinions.

I will have a more clear idea after we get back. We will be doing alot of driving to see the areas.

You really need to check out Greeneville, TN. A lot of great land for sale right now. Within the next 6 months I might have a couple of places that will fit the bill. (I'm not realtor). I've lived in Greeneville all of my life and while I am only 21 I have found this to be a great place to live. And depending on what end of the county you live on, because this is a big county, you will be no more that 30 mins from either Johnson City or Morristown. You will not regret moving to East TN, and if I can't help you find something, I know of a couple really good realtor's that could help you find just about anything. Like lumber_jack said though, for your price range 100 acres is going be to much with your budget but I'm sure you can find something that will suit you for that kind of money. If you want to PM me I wouldn't mind helping you find your way around Greeneville if you want to take a stroll around.

PM inbound. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to meet up with you and maybe you could take us to look around for a day.

All good advice. You'll have to get into a rural area, away from the cities. That also means limited services, employment and shopping opportunities. I'd advise renting for a while and taking your time looking for property. Finding a decent place to rent in a rural area or small town can be a big task also.

Of course, if you're planning on continuing your career in nursing, you'll want to be within easy driving distance of a hospital or other medical facility, so that would dictate being near one or several small towns. There are places in East Tennessee that aren't within 80 miles of the nearest McDonald's. :D

Green Acres is the place for me! :D

Ok, 80 miles is a bit much of a drive for me. However, I wouldn't mind 40 miles to the nearest hospital. I am looking at some hospitals now in Maryville, Morristown, and Cleveland. I am suprised there are so few hospitals!

I'm in east Tenn and understand thats where you're interested in, but middle Tenn around the cumberland plateau and surrounding counties has some really beautiful country with good people. Well worth checking out
I'm in Maryville and I love it. The other suggestions are good as well. Depends on where you want to work. Monroe county is nice as well.

We might take a ride down there one day.

There is this big house for sale in Morgan Co. On Flat Fork Rd, been up for sale for about 4 years now.. worth looking at.. prob in your price range, no one else in the area can afford it.. It has a gate on the driveway.. Don't remember the realtor that has the listing.. but it is owned by a fellow by the last name of Armes.

Hmm, that setup is perfect. We would love an older farm house on a bit of land. I will have to look on google maps.

Thanks for all the help again! This is great. The in-laws are coming as well so they can get a feel for it. They will be moving with us as well. This MIGHT bump up the price range for a house. I don't want to move to my dream home only to be house poor and not able to enjoy it. :)

Byron

Guest airborne1525
How is the hog hunting in TN? I've got something fun for it!

DSC_0047.jpg

Current TN laws only allow land owners to hunt hogs on their property. This just changed not long ago. I live in Jefferson county (about 30 mins east of Knoxville.) We have almost 300 acres and haven't had any hogs on our land yet. I know some of the guys west of Knoxville are having problems so it won't be long before they are here I guess.

On a side note, I grew up in Indiana as well, mostly the Fort Wayne side. Spent a lot of time in the northwest area of the state and Chicago for work. When are you thinking of trying to make a move?

Look into the Johnson City Medical Center. You could live in Greeneville and commute there. Maybe a 45 min drive, depending where you live at. There are two hospitals in Greeneville but you would probably make more money in Johnson City.

I moved to Tennessee a year ago. It took 8 months to buy a house. I had extremely bad experience with Knoxville relators except this one:

Elizabeth Madrid Office: (865)693-3232

Cell: (865) 809-6475

Fax: (865)244-3676

Highly recommend to get her help

Guest turnandshoot4
Current TN laws only allow land owners to hunt hogs on their property. This just changed not long ago. I live in Jefferson county (about 30 mins east of Knoxville.) We have almost 300 acres and haven't had any hogs on our land yet. I know some of the guys west of Knoxville are having problems so it won't be long before they are here I guess.

On a side note, I grew up in Indiana as well, mostly the Fort Wayne side. Spent a lot of time in the northwest area of the state and Chicago for work. When are you thinking of trying to make a move?

Thanks for the info on the hogs! Excuse my ignorance, what are the caliber restrictions for deer? I couldn't use a .308 for deer here.

This move will happen within 1.5 to 2.5 years. We will tie up some loose ends and save some money before a relocation.

Look into the Johnson City Medical Center. You could live in Greeneville and commute there. Maybe a 45 min drive, depending where you live at. There are two hospitals in Greeneville but you would probably make more money in Johnson City.

Thanks for the info! I'll look into it.

I will say that nursing jobs in the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) are plentiful. I would look there for a job an locate accordingly. Also remember Chattanooga is close to Mountains too, if that's part of your criteria.

Mountains are a definate plus. Where I live you can see forever because it is so flat. A hill is a big deal around here.

Here's a tour of the NE portion... it'll take most of a day.

Pigeon Forge, TN to Pigeon Forge, TN - Google Maps

Here's a south-eastern tour from Pigeon Forge

Pigeon Forge, TN to Pigeon Forge, TN - Google Maps

THANK YOU! You just mapped out 2 of our 5 day stay.

I moved to Tennessee a year ago. It took 8 months to buy a house. I had extremely bad experience with Knoxville relators except this one:

Elizabeth Madrid Office: (865)693-3232

Cell: (865) 809-6475

Fax: (865)244-3676

Highly recommend to get her help

How did she help you? I know real estate agents sometimes are looking out for THEIR best intrest, not yours. I had this experience with our current house. This is why I feel it is so important to live there first and get a feel for the market before we buy. There are some houses up here that are 2,500 sq ft for $45,000 but the sewer bill is $350 a month. I don't want to fall into those traps.

1. How did you find your location? 2. Did you use a realtor? 3. Did you move straight from Kansas? 4. Would you do anything differently? 5. I am in the same boat so give me some pointers! Thanks!!

1.The property we live on has been in my wife's family for more than 150 years - we have the last tiny little chunk (4.78 acres) of the original 160 acre grant given to one of her ancestors for his service in the war with Mexico. (The rest of it was either sold off or went to distant cousins as inheritance.)

2. No realtor needed, just a chance encounter which lead me to the greatest gal I've ever known.

3. Yep. We met in January and in March I packed up bag and baggage and moved straight from Walker, Ks. to Claxton, Tn. We were married in our back yard on August 15th of '07.

4. Yes. If I could do it over, I would have liked to have met her 25 years earlier. ;)

5. Pointers? Hmmm... Go through hell on earth, give up, start over, give up again and, when you least expect it, meet the lady of your dreams. Then toss everything you've ever known over your shoulder and move to East Tennessee. (I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but it sure seemed to work for me!) ;)

On a serious note, the guy from Florida who found the property in/near Cookeville, I think just checked some local papers and did a little homework. I don't know if he used a realtor or not, but somehow I don't think so.

Good luck to you!

...TS...

Thanks for the info on the hogs! Excuse my ignorance, what are the caliber restrictions for deer? I couldn't use a .308 for deer here.

The regulations here are WAY more complicated than they should be. Any centerfire cartridge, pistol or rifle is legal in rifle season. There's archery and muzzleloader only periods, no shotguns at all.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - For Hunters

How did she help you? I know real estate agents sometimes are looking out for THEIR best intrest, not yours. I had this experience with our current house. This is why I feel it is so important to live there first and get a feel for the market before we buy. There are some houses up here that are 2,500 sq ft for $45,000 but the sewer bill is $350 a month. I don't want to fall into those traps.

I also know good Knoxville area and Rogersville area realtor. If you decide you like those areas, I'll send you info. As a buyer, I don't see any reason not to use a realtor. You're generally not the one paying them, the seller is. Given that you're moving to a very unfamiliar area, I think renting for a while is a good idea.

We enjoy relatively low utility rates in this area thanks to TVA. Any house that's "in the country" will most likely be on septic, and depending on how far out you are, well water too. When I was selling my house near Kingsport, I had to provide average utility costs as part of the advertising package.

Guest FroggyOne2

Where I am renting at here in Oak Ridge, my ave electric bill is 35 bucks and in the winter the gas bill is around 80.00 to 90.00, I have been here for four years, my highest electric bill was 130.00 and my highest gas bill was 150.00.