Ruger mark III question (Speed Strip)

Mdunntn

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I wash out the MK II with Gun Scrubber or Quick Scrub every year or two. Wear goggles. Sprayback in the eye is painful.

Took the MK II apart a few times, but dunno if that cleaned it any better than flushing and re-lubing.

Some say brake cleaner is the same and cheaper. Google "brake cleaner" + "gun scrubber" and some people claim there are differences. Dunno. I might try brake cleaner sometime.

That speed strip might make it more convenient to swab out the barrel from the breech rather than the muzzle? One time I read the speed strip installation instructions and it looked kinda complicated, but my mechanical IQ is in the negative numbers.

My 22/45 is a bear to take apart, even harder to get back together without practice. Its not much of a probelem any more but I ordered the speed strip anyway, just this week. I've also been told to use a liberal amount of CLP and just don't worry about it which seems to be the consensus here. I'll report back as soon as I have tried it.

Edited by red dirt

I was having a real wrestling match getting the bolt stop pin in and out of my 22/45. I knew that the back end of the receiver had to extend a bit behind the rear of the frame, but just assumed that it was OK from the factory.

It wasn't.

Watched a video about removing the mag disconnect and watched the guy in the video ensure the receiver was FULLY seated on the frame. He was giving it some pretty energetic whacks on the muzzle with a plastic mallet.

So I took the pin and bolt out of mine and tried a few rounds of whacks with a rubber mallet and trying the bolt stop pin without the bold in. Just held the pistol by the grip in my left hand and popped it on the muzzle to drive the receiver further back.

After a couple rounds of this, the bolt stop pin/mainspring assembly now pops in and out with no trouble at all. Still need the mallet to get the receiver off and on the frame, but that will loosen up after a few more repeats.

I have heard about how hard these are to take apart and put back together but I found a video a while ago with a guy doing it and he made it look very easy. Am I missing something here?

No, you're not missing anything. I have never used a mallet to take one apart. I have worked on several of them, and I will say that the newer they were, the more difficult it was to strip them. The more you do it and the more you shoot it, the easier it will get.

My 22/45 is a bear to take apart, even harder to get back together without practice. Its not much of a probelem any more but I ordered the speed strip anyway, just this week. I've also been told to use a liberal amount of CLP and just don't worry about it which seems to be the consensus here. I'll report back as soon as I have tried it.

When you install it let me know what you think.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Have you installed it yet?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I'll probably not install it, I traded the 22/45 for a modded mkIII with volquartsen kit and mk2 bushing, I'll leave this one alone. I watched several youtube videos and It's amazing, I struggle with reassembly of the mainspring but when it "clicks" it is easy.

Edited by red dirt