So...I mowed the grass

Guest db99wj

This thread is disturbing, almost as disturbing as the fact that instead of going out, putting the new front wheel I just bought for my push mower, because I never got around to replacing the old one, when the plastic center broke around the axle bolt at the beginning of last year, I am HERE reading a thread about mowing the grass....I wonder if I still have gas. A nap sure sounds good.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if I still have gas.

I hope not. The Heptane in gasoline tends to evaporate over time. That's a lot of what makes "old gas" old. Gas stabilizer helps, but doesn't entirely solve the problem.

Yes I am a science geek. :cool:

Meantime, I think I know what is wrong with the riding mower. Maybe I can drink and drive the next time. :blush:

I was sad and dejected saturday. I had a mountain of mulch to spead and figured I would hook the trailer up to the Huskee and haul it to where it was needed. That part of the plan worked fine. But I was very much looking forward to needing to charge the battery in the tractor and danged if the thing did not start without the charge.

But on the bright side the left tire on the trailer was flat, (just flat on the bottom) and I got to fix that. So I had that going for me to make up for the tractor starting.

I also hauled three trailer loads of clay back to the shooting range in the woods to fortify my backstop. Free clay is the only perk to the construction going on in the hayfield.

All in all it was a fun day.

Guest db99wj

I didn't take a nap. I put on the mower wheel, it works, I still had gas, (my wife would say that I always have gas....) Mower started right up and got to work. I also realized that I don't really have grass anymore, it is mostly weed. I ran out of bags so I have a pile of clippings on the side of my house I got to get up soon, and I need to spray my yard with the weed and feed stuff I bought. There is always this weekend.

I have a small lawn. A couple of years ago I bought one of the old-style pushmowers- no gas required, not many parts to break, real quiet. The new mowers are lighter and more efficient than the ones I pushed when I was a kid.

I like it a lot better, and for a small lawn there really isn't a lot of time difference compared to using one with a gas motor. I gave the old gas-powered mower away.

I do have to stay on top of things, though. When the grass is growing, if I don't mow every 2 weeks, it is really hard to cut.

But then, I ride a bike to work instead of using a car-- kinda fits, I guess.

Guest db99wj
I have a small lawn. A couple of years ago I bought one of the old-style pushmowers- no gas required, not many parts to break, real quiet. The new mowers are lighter and more efficient than the ones I pushed when I was a kid.

I like it a lot better, and for a small lawn there really isn't a lot of time difference compared to using one with a gas motor. I gave the old gas-powered mower away.

I do have to stay on top of things, though. When the grass is growing, if I don't mow every 2 weeks, it is really hard to cut.

But then, I ride a bike to work instead of using a car-- kinda fits, I guess.

Hippie.:koolaid::(

Just kidding. My 9 year old said something about mowing the yard.....I'll teach her.:D

Guest db99wj
Hey, like wow man. When are we gonna party? ;)

Well if it was that kind and I could sell the amount that was in my yard, I could pay off my house!!!!:D

Hippie.;):D

Yes, ...and? Is gun carryin' bike ridin' lawn mowin' hippie an oxymoron? Not in my experience.

America is a great country.

Had hair down to my shoulders when I enlisted- grew it back after I got out.

And bikes are great- like this one-- that's a couple members of my bike club training to ride through Orange Mound-- sometimes I get to be tail gunner.

MemphisHightailers_Frayser_Ride.jpg

Somewhere between the doctor releasing my mother from the hospital to return to the nursing home and deciding they were not going to get around to releasing her on any reasonable schedule, I decided to let them handle it and I'd go home to work on the non-functioning riding lawnmower. I'll catch up with mother tomorrow at the nursing home.

Anyway, I got down to where I think I need to be but now find I need a 1-1/4" half-inch drive socket. Naturally, I have a half-inch drive 1-1/16 in socket. Life sucks. So I guess it is off to Sears's for what I need tomorrow morning. I am fairly sure that socket will cost more than the mower is worth.

I will at that point probably need the one gear puller in the universe that I don't have. I'll use a hammer. Hell, it doesn't work anyway....

Anyone who wants to come out to help...just send me a PM. I do require either a 12-pack or 750ml bottle of something to prove your worthiness. I'll supply the mixers. ;)

Guest TNDixieGirl
And bikes are great- like this one-- that's a couple members of my bike club training to ride through Orange Mound-- sometimes I get to be tail gunner.

Ummmm, you'd better put a turbo engine on that thing to ride through there.

Guest dotsun
I have a very good wife, she will NOT let me mow. Doesn't get any better.

+1, My awesome wifey had the yard nearly finished when I got home. Of course, I still ended up painting.

Mike, there's still one 30' gable left that needs paint, I'd be more than happy to share the fun with ya. :up:

Guest dotsun
I ain't much on painting Dave. But my garage door is gonna need a going over before next winter. I'd be happy for you to show me your painting technique.

Me either. Load up your paintball gun and aim a little high...

• 2 weeks later...
+1, My awesome wifey had the yard nearly finished when I got home. Of course, I still ended up painting.

Mike, there's still one 30' gable left that needs paint, I'd be more than happy to share the fun with ya. :D

I would have volunteered but you said it was 30'...thats a bit too high for me:D

Guest dotsun
I would have volunteered but you said it was 30'...thats a bit too high for me:D

Yeah I got to thinking and it's like 3 freakin stories high. I'm not to keen on the idea of climbing up there again to paint now that it's primed. Besides the primer looks reala nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday I got off fairly early. I came home and since it was such a nice day I decided to cut my grass. I am on a roll, the tractor started again. I enjoyed it so much I loaded it up in the bed of the truck and went over to the mother in laws and cut her grass too.

I don't have any special time to go to work today so I get a bonus day of yard work.

I decided to weed eat. I did all that I could find around here to trim up. I even got an extra bonus in that as the weed eater need to be reloaded with trimmer line.

So I got done with the weed eating and started looking at the two shrubs on the south west side of the house. They needed some touching up so I got the loppers and trimmers out and wacked the heck out of them. They are in place more for the function of holding the ground in place than for beauty, so wacking them back does not hurt. The root system on them seems strong so they will come back in short order anway.

I hauled all the trimming off. I decided to dump them on the back side of my bullet stop at the Hillbilly Shootin' Range. Next time I get clay the sticks and such will help give the clay something to stick to.

So I am done with the shrubs and started looking at trees on that southwest side of the house. There is a maple tree I have been avoiding trimming for a few years now. Well today was the day. I got the pole saw out and started wacking back what I could reach. by the time I was satisfied I had drug out a ladder to get a branch that was bothering me and I also trimmed up another maple and an oak. A couple of them branches ended being about a foot around. More like trees growing off of trees.

I now have all these branches laying over on the side of the house. I decided to lay them atop one another. I am starting to feel like quite the lumberjack yanno. Being inspired by the TV show Axe Men I used straps to bind the branches together and hooked the stap onto the golf cart and drug them off down to the big brush pile in the big hayfield. Took four trips but it is done. So between the trees and shrubs that side of the house looks good!

I guess I will eat some lunch.