Knoxville Walmart tonight

Guest airborne1525

Guest airborne1525

So tonight I stopped at the Walmart in the west town area an had an alarming encounter.

Let me back up a bit. My day started at 2am driving my wife to Atlanta to get on a plane to go to Belize for a mission trip. Returned home, slept a bit and then needed to run my mother-in-law to Knoxville for some errands. Somewhere in my wife's packing and cleaning, she moved my IWB holster and I couldn't find it this afternoon. So, not being a fan of open carry, I decided to leave my sidekick in the safe ( that "I won't need it" mind frame had kicked in.) half way down the drive the truth of you never know when you will need it kicked in so I turned around and grabbed my strapped my serpa holster on and put the springfield in place.

I needed to cash a check so I decided to swing by Walmart since the bank will be closed on Monday. Made the stupid mistake of running into Walmart with my check visible in my hand. Soon as I approached the door, saw a guy standing outside that set my radar off. Went to customer service, cashed check and saw him standing back toward a sign watching. As I left I continued to watch him fall in behind me. So as I was walking out, I made a quick stop at the bathroom to see what he would do. He didn't come in. I made a quick adjustment on my clothing, tucked side of shirt in and left my coat unzipped. Went to the parking lot, as I was heading toward my car with my children and mother-in-law waiting in it, the man appeared past my car coming toward me quickly. I took my keys out (purposely moving my coat out of the way to draw if needed,) he looked down, saw my holstered weapon, turned white as a ghost and did a 180 and walked very briskly away. Now I know there is a very remote chance that this could all be a combination of coincidence and lack of sleep, but I have learned to always trust my gut. I called the store and spoke to lost prevention and notified them (which I was somewhat surprised they took fairly serious.)

Point of sharing this rambling lack of sleep group of thoughts with everyone....had I not decided to go back and get my weapon, who knows what would have happened. Lessons learned today about not letting my guard down and being more discrete about handling checks and money.

Okay, let the digs fly, I can take my licks!

.....Okay, let the digs fly, I can take my licks!

No, sounds to me like you had very reasonable assessment of the guy's intentions. No way to really know, maybe he had panhandling in mind from someone he knew had cash, but just as reasonable to think he might have gone full tilt boogie with a weapon on ya too.

- OS

Guest Catfish36

Glad you went back for that Springfield Airborne. Seems like today that Second Amendment was a good idea. Only 2 ways to deal with one another in any civilization..reason and force...you eliminated his ability of force..guess he didnt want to try reason...??

Guest airborne1525
Glad you went back for that Springfield Airborne. Seems like today that Second Amendment was a good idea. Only 2 ways to deal with one another in any civilization..reason and force...you eliminated his ability of force..guess he didnt want to try reason...??

Very well put!

Just found out that the better half has safely arrived at the mission house in Belize. Praise the Lord for lots of protection on our family today!

Guest RichieRich

I guess you'll never know what contributed to the overall safe outcome, but it sounds like you were spot on with everything you did.

To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry" (rest of the quote intentionally left off).

It sounds like you have experienced the situation which will encourage you to "always carry". I experienced it this past Christmas in a mall parking lot when I met up with 4 guys who were intent on relieving me of my burden. Like they say about the American Express card, "Don't leave home without it". Glad everything worked out for you.

I feel that your assumtion was correct.

Those kind of actions are to much for quincidence. (excuse my spelling) That's how they get you they stake you out. Seem like this one was a small time crook.

Got to watch things like your house, they will watch for a week or more. Just one more reason not to let the world know what you are doing and when you will be gone.

Guest Catfish36
It sounds like you have experienced the situation which will encourage you to "always carry". I experienced it this past Christmas in a mall parking lot when I met up with 4 guys who were intent on relieving me of my burden. Like they say about the American Express card, "Don't leave home without it". Glad everything worked out for you.

I would be interested in hearing your story. Is it posted somewhere here?

Guest airborne1525
We will never know for sure but is exposing your gun in public ever a good idea?

My intent in exposing was to drawl when needed. Tennessee is an open carry state and since the only thing that was covering my sidearm was my coat...there was nothing illegal or unethical in my actions. Had the gun been in legal full view, IMO, doubt he would have followed me in the first place. Bottom line, my quick adjustment was in response to what was felt as a threat of an ambush.

So I you don't think what I did was a good response, tell me your best armchair quarterback response. In all seriousness, I would appreciate hearing how other guys would have handled it.

I have stopped going to that Walmart for simalar reasons. It seemed like everytime I went there the lot had people asking for money or just acting weird and I usually am out with 2 kids under 2yrs old so I am not very moble and can't safely carry due to the oldest alway kicking it. I would rather drive aliitle out of the way then put my kids in danger.

I've been in several situations like that and when I think someone is feeling me out I usually try to make sustained eye contact with them and let them know that I know they are watching me. They generally break contact at that point.

Good job being aware of you surroundings airborne and I'm sure you wife will have a blessed trip.