AK Price Question

gjohnsoniv

They're hit and miss with Century. If they're good, they're good, but is it worth the gamble? You could throw in another couple of bills and get an SGL-21. Maybe someone else will chime in soon. I hung up my AK hat a few years ago. I had several, and the only ones I had issues with were century built. Along with their Galil copy and a CETME. All clunkers.

Are you crafty with your hands? I built four of them, three of which were Yugo M70's. The thing I hate about Century M70's is that they mill the trunnions to fit a standard receiver. The Yugo is a tank in it's original form, thicker receiver, RPK type trunnion. It's a touch heavier, but it's VERY sturdy. AK's aren't exactly rare, and $700 is not a steal of a price. You won't be mad if you wait and shop a bit. Study about them and shop some more. It's a lesson I learned by taking my lumps [hard way]. Don't skimp. Buy something you don't read complaints about. If you google "Century Arms bad reviews" Your browser may lock up from data overload:)

I knew 700 was a little bit steep, but didn't know why. Since a local store here has several AK's in the 500 or so range. I was actually thinking about building one a while back, but don't know where to start.

They're not as easy as a AR15. If you're not handy working with metal, they can be a bit overwhelming. Not that you can't do it! I was a machinist for over 12 years, and I still did screw builds. I never messed with rivets. I used 10-32 button head cap screws then tig welded the heads and polished them off. They looked like rivets when i got done!

Seriously, if I had to give you the end all advice, I would say study and shop around a little more. If you have the $700 to spend on it, you will pleased at how well appropriated those funds will be if you shop around.

Try Pm'ing Mike. I know he's an Ak shooter, and he trains with them a lot. He'll know better than me.http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/member.php?u=14

there are other guys here too, but he comes to mind because I remember reading several of his posts on the matter.

You can buy the Arsenal SGL-21 61 off of BUDS for only $747 (Not including transfer+BG). If you are wanting a cheaper AK maybe look into the Norinco MAK-90's they are built to really good specs,but then again all AK prices have gone up so I would stick with the Arsenal( I own 2 SGL-21's and a SLG-31) all of mine have functioned above and beyond what I expected them to.

Arsenal AK47 all the way. I have a SGL21-71 with a VLTOR converted AR15 buffer tube with a Magpul M4 stock. I paid $779 for mine, but Arsenals are getting hard to find and if you do get one, hold on to it! Arsenal is about the best you can get, and then you can pay a custom shop like Krebs or Red Jacket to build you a rifle that is $2,000 but not any better than the Arsenal.

If you want to do it yourself, a basic Saiga sporting model is still available for under $400 (I've seen them listed for around $350 on the internet recently). Plenty of information (including videos) on how to convert the Saiga.

However, I don't have the time or patience for doing the conversion, so I bought a Red Jacket (yes, the one on Sons of Guns) conversion about a year ago through Atlantic Firearms. Atlantic didn't have them for a LONG time, but appears to have them again for around $600:

Red Jacket Firearms AK74 Rifle RJ 240 Sons of Guns

Sorry, just realized that is the AK-74 model in 5.45. They may not have the 7.62 version any longer.

I might consider doing that instead then. Choices choices... Then again I found an RPD kit online for not too bad of a price so I'm wondering about doing that instead. That is if I can find a receiver for it, and figure out what paperwork needs to be done.

Actually, if you follow that link that midtennchip just posted and click up a level you'll see a ton of AK's, including several underfolders. A Century Arms Romanian wasr-10 underfolder for $489, and a Century Arms Polish underfolder for $529. Based on that, I'd guess the value of a Century Yugo underfolder to be in the $500-$525 range assuming it's in really good shape.

Guest The Dude

i dont think any century build is worth what you could damn near get an arsenal for. arsenals rifles come from the legion shop. the basic saiga, does not. not sure exactly how arsenal gets these rifles when they get them, but i do know that there is no holes in the reciever where the previos fcg would have been, which leads me to believe they may come into this country minus a fcg. but aside from that, they are identicle to the sporterized saigas you see with the hunting stocks and so forth. id stick with a saiga if it were me. i have an sgl 31 and love it. and would buy another. but my next one will be one that i can convert with some of my own ideas for the platform. pus they are made along side the military ak's and are all factory new parts. thats a plus in its own right.

arsenals are pretty hard to beat.

I'm in a similar boat and most signs point to Arsenal's AKs. However, I can't decide on the 7.62 or the 5.45! I would probably be doing some hog hunting, but mostly just plinking. Those of you that have a SLG-21 and a SLG-31, which do you prefer?

Guest bkelm18
I'm in a similar boat and most signs point to Arsenal's AKs. However, I can't decide on the 7.62 or the 5.45! I would probably be doing some hog hunting, but mostly just plinking. Those of you that have a SLG-21 and a SLG-31, which do you prefer?

5.45 is cheaper but good mags are harder to come by.

You could certainly do worse. As I said, I've owned two Century AK's, a WASR-10 (since sold), and a SAR-1 (older model, and now residing in my safe). Neither of them has ever given me a bit of trouble. Yes, I've heard of people who have had problems with Century builds, but I'm pretty sure they are a very vocal minority.

That said, if you have the opportunity and the ability to spend a few extra $, sure, then move up a notch. I notice you mentioned the Tula. That's the one I was looking at on their site while browsing. Very pretty. If I found a great deal on one I might be tempted to trade up.

Guest The Dude

well it depends. accuracy favors the 5.45. the 7.62 will have more knock down power and better weight retention when passing through barriers, as well as a wider selection of ammo. but the 5.45 is on par with a 5.56 with performance. it has better range, flatter trajectory, better accuracy, and zero recoil. plus you could carry more ammo if needed. we are slowly starting to see a broader selection coming about with the 5.45.

but in the end, either caliber will do. i prefer the 5.45 for reasons stated above. and as for mags, bulgarian circle 10's will work fine. they are of russian design. and may be a tad hard to come buy at the moment. cant say for tapco. never used them. i bough russian mags and have a few bulgies.

if you choose 5.45, we can still get the 7n6 military round for these rifles. great ammo. cheap and very effective. i love the steel core and air pocket that makes this stuff yaw at any range and velocity.:D