G19: Gen 3 vs Gen 4

Guest NYCrulesU

Guest NYCrulesU

Debating on which one to go back to. I've owned both...due to $$ circumstances I had to sell them.

First..and most important...I never had any trouble out of either one. I recall liking the grip of the Gen 3 better. And if not mistaking..the frame of the Gen 4 was a little "thicker".

I am a stock guy...don't like making any upgrades to my EDC's. So...with all that said...

What are the pros and cons for each gun? What are some of your personal experiences (pos and neg) with each?

If you had only one gun to own...out of these two...which would you choose and why?

Tax time is around the corner. My late Christmas gifts to myself are going to be:

1. Glock 19 (Gen 3 or 4)

2. 2000 rds (2 cases) of 9mm Federal 147 FMJ

3. 10 G19 15 rd magazines

4. Mossberg 500 Persuader w/ heat shield, extending stock and pistol grip & sling

5. 40 boxes (5 shells each) of Hornady Tap 12 gauge 00 buck

Ballpark of about $2200-$2400 (including tax), on the high side.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had a Gen 4 G23 (same size as the 19) for awhile, and just recently traded for a Gen 3 G19. I have done a lot of comparative fondling. I prefer the feel of the Gen 4, but not by a lot. I don't regret getting the Gen 3. They both feel like Glocks. The trigger is probably a little stiffer on the Gen 4.

I prefer the Gen 2's. Gen 4 is slightly thinner with no backstrap than a Gen 3, but not enough to make me want to pay a premium over a Gen 3. Dual recoil spring....they were using Glocks for decades with a single. Who cares.

I think the recoil is supposed to be a little softer with the dual springs. That's a good thing with a .40. Probably doesn't matter much with a 9.

Guest NYCrulesU
I prefer the Gen 2's. Gen 4 is slightly thinner with no backstrap than a Gen 3, but not enough to make me want to pay a premium over a Gen 3. Dual recoil spring....they were using Glocks for decades with a single. Who cares.

I think I recall the dual recoil spring attracking me to the 4. And the whole time I owned the Gen 4, I missed my Gen 3.

I hear of so many issues with the Gen 4...but I never experiences any...none with my Gen 3 either. I guess I'll just have to fondle both again and see which one feels best.

I think the recoil is supposed to be a little softer with the dual springs. That's a good thing with a .40. Probably doesn't matter much with a 9.

I suppose. I never thought shooting a 23 or 22 was that ornerous compared to a 19 or 17. I haven't shot a 3 and 4 side by side yet.

I have had great results with Gen4's but I have had the same experience with Gen3's. If I had huge and I mean really big I would see the need for a Gen4 or of I had really, really small. I prefer the Mag release better on a Gen 4 and I do think the dual recoil spring absorbs a little of the recoil.

Guest twpayne75

I wanted to like the Gen 3, just couldn't. Love the feel of the Gen 4. If your previous Gen 4 had a stiffer trigger than your Gen 3 then it had to have come with the standard connector. All Gen 4's are now shipping with the "." connector which is lighter and more comparable to the Gen 3 pull.

As far as cost that you or someone else mentioned, I paid $499 plus tax for both my Gen 4 G17 and Gen 4 G19. Same as I ever paid for any of the Gen 3s.

Guest twpayne75
About the only way I can tell the difference is comparing them directly. It's not a big difference at all. Not big enough to make me file the bump or replace the trigger bar.

It makes no difference. I exhausted that theory on my first one. The difference is caused by the angle of the trigger mechanism housing, not the trigger bar.

Guest twpayne75
There is a bump on the trigger bar which adds a slightly stiffer to some trigger pull on Gen 4's. I never could tell a difference.If you price a Gen 4, find out how many mags it comes with. Some come with 2 and some with 3.

Read comment below concerning the bump on the trigger bar. And all Gen 4s are supposed to come with 3 magazines, not 2.

Debating on which one to go back to. I've owned both...due to $$ circumstances I had to sell them.

First..and most important...I never had any trouble out of either one. I recall liking the grip of the Gen 3 better. And if not mistaking..the frame of the Gen 4 was a little "thicker".

You've owned both. Which one do you think you should go with?