Sig MOSQUITO Range Report

Ropin4gold

A buddy of mine had a Sig Mosquito he was trying to get rid of. Me being the Sig fan that I am, I picked it up. He said it jammed a few times on him. So, I did a bunch of research on this pistol and came to the determination that if I ran CCI Mini Mags through it I should be ok. Took it to OnTarget today to see how it ran.

I broke the gun down and lightly oiled it. Then I loaded and inserted a magazine with 10 CCI Mini Mags. Racked slide, decocked and let her rip. CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, Bang. Yup it took 5 DA pulls to get the round to go off. Next round same thing. 3rd round 3 pulls then it fired. Repeated this process for about 75 rounds. Most of the rounds would eventually fire but a few did not.

Here are a few of the CCI Mini Mags I picked up that did not go bang.

MosquitoTest2.jpg

Then I decided I would try some Federal rounds.

Same story with those.

MosquitoTest1.jpg

Only sometimes I would end up with this:

Mosquito4.jpg

I broke the gun down and oiled the firing pin and hammer. This did not help either. Looks like it is going back to Sig. I shot 120 Rounds of CCI Mini Mags and 50 rounds of the Federal. I found the gun to be very accurate though, excuse the flyers as I was rapidly pulling the trigger in DA mode to try and get the rounds to fire. I never did make it through more than 3 consecutive rounds before it would fail to fire.

MosquitoTest3.jpg

Yeah I know its a PINK gun and yes I am secure in my manhood.............

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeeters have garbage reliability. However, those strikes look pretty good on those minimags...sure it wasn't the ammo?

+1, its a good training gun but everyone I know with them has had problems. Sig will fix it though..

He said he swapped from CCI to Federal and still had problems, I think he pulled the trigger DA several times on the pictured so they did go off eventually.

My friend has one and had bad luck with Federal ammo. He then started buying Blazer and had a flawless ~2000 rounds before cleaning it. He just wanted to see how long it could go without cleaning. Yea, it was nasty, but still ran great.

Guest Don't-Tread-On-Me

Mine does the same BS with ALL different types of ammo...I'm going to debur the feed ramp to barrel lip area and polish it, hopefully that helps...I've read several articles to this effect...Time will tell~

Guest linkn22

My wife and I both have this gun, pink and black respectively. We had similar issues but after 1000 rounds of CCI LR HP and lots of gunzilla oil, haven't had an issue. BTW: I think mags are like $40 bucks most places (like all Sig mags) but Academy Sports had them for $20 for a while.

CCI's work fine in mine. The bulk Remington's work great, too. The bulk Winchester won't fire at all, about like you described.

Keep it clean and well oiled. I usually add a drop to the feed ramp as well. There are several videos on Youtube that show some mods to do. Mine was problematic until it got broke in good, 300 to 400 rounds. After that it's been great. Everyone loves to shoot it, and it's always the one I put the noobs on. Friend liked it so much he bought one. Same with his as far as ammo. Bulk Remington fires great, but not the Winchester.

Strange to see the Sig act like that. I got one for Christmas and already have over 2000 rounds through it. I had FTF/FTE issues when using bulk ammo but with CCI Mini Mags I never have issues. The owner manual does say to drop oil in it about every 100 or 200 rounds since .22 ammo can be dirty.

I like it so much I am thinking of getting another one for the kids so I don't have to share.

I have had no luck getting this model to work either. After trying to help get 3 or 4 of them to work (none of them mine, however) I have about decided that this is one of those guns that either works out the box or needs to be replaced until you get one that works out of the box. No home remedy seems to help at all. Once you get a working one, its a darn nice platform.

I have not yet seen a working .22 that would not eat one of these two:

federal bulk pack

blazer/cci bulk pack (blazer label, but CCI brass stamp)

Man, I must have been lucky. I bought a used Mosquito last year and it ran pretty well. Didn't like the winchester very much, but ate CCi and Federales easily. I got the chance to trade it on a Ruger MK III Hunter and let it go. Sounds like a good move on my part.

My dad had one that I really liked and shot a lot. I found that it was slightly picky with ammo. That particular gun ran fine after cleaning it good but after about 500 rounds it would start to hiccup, I would strip it down and clean it and it would be good to go for another 500.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I called Sig customer service today. They told me that since I was not the original owner that I would have to pay to have the gun fixed. They said it would be $55 shipping+$55 for one hour of the gunsmith's time. I told the rep that I had a little concern in paying $110 to fix a $300 gun. He put me on hold and when he came back on said they would waive the gunsmith fee if I would pay the shipping. I thought that was fair and gave them my CC#. Then they emailed me out a UPS shipping label. It's going out on Monday. They said approx 2 weeks to turn it around. I will post an update when I get it back.

I do not see how oiling the mags will help the firing pin......

I said to run the gun wet and oil the mags. I had much the same problems you have had until I started ding this.

These guns do not like being ran dirty or dry during break in. After break in, you can oil and clean them normally.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I sent the gun off on 2/15 and it came back to my door on 2/22. Pretty quick turn around time. The invoice said they completed the following: Inspected the pistol, reamed the barrel, replaced the slide catch lever, main spring, and trigger pivot pin, lubricated and test fired with 40 rounds of CCI mini mags with no malfunctions. I am going to shoot it Wednesday night and will post an update afterwards.

Mine was one of the 1st out. I finally sent it back and tried to get anything else inplace of it. Now it does feed most anythinf if clean and wet with lube, the trigger is horrible, varies 12-14 lb double action. Horrible single action, gritty and just bad, they refused to adjust it. They know there is a problem with them, its the hardest pistol to hit with I own, they are very hard to sell or trade in, BUT they sure look and feel nice !