I now have a reloader ?

I am now a proud owner of the single stage Lyman press and other items. This is my first re loader.

I will have some questions as I set this up and start using it. I have used a friends re-loader and have done just a few and that got me wanting my own.

question 1: I have the Lyman 55 powder measure. Do I want or need the stand or just clamp it up high? whats the best way to get started with this?

If you have the 55 and it is setup images would help.

Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just clamp your measure Jeff. You will probably find as I did, unless its supremely accurate, you'll just use it to throw "close" to your loading and trickle the final grains into your loading cup/funnel while its sitting on your scale. You did get a good digital scale right?

Throw a few charges to get it set about 1 or 2 grains below your final number and then use a good trickler to get dead on.

Yes RW I have a good scale. ( Digital ) and I hope to get some more 458 dies as I sold my others LOL.

Thanks David!!! And thanks to David I have my setup to re load with!!!

At the moment I will be doing 223 and 308. May get into 45s soon. but the 458 will be the next set of dies.

Guest canebreaker

My measurer was throwing powder everywhere. I opened the book and did some reading. open it up, rub in a good coat of graphite.

I'm cheap, I rub it down with a 1st grade pencil. Has to be done every 1,000 rounds.

Just clamp your measure Jeff. You will probably find as I did, unless its supremely accurate, you'll just use it to throw "close" to your loading and trickle the final grains into your loading cup/funnel while its sitting on your scale. You did get a good digital scale right?

Throw a few charges to get it set about 1 or 2 grains below your final number and then use a good trickler to get dead on.

...or get you an electric trickler.

IMG_0673a.jpg

Ok Question #2: I read that the powder should fill around 90% of the case. If the powder I use is like 70% is that still ok? As in is it ok to hear the powder shake?
I've never really been able to go by generalities like that. All powders require different charges, and flake, ball, or extruded powders all take up different amounts of space. Use the manual or recipes for whichever powder you are using. I give precedence to charge weight versus case volume.

Mac

Ok Question #2: I read that the powder should fill around 90% of the case. If the powder I use is like 70% is that still ok? As in is it ok to hear the powder shake?

No, No, No! The powder should weigh exactly what your load data says (this is a range from weak to do not exceed). It may fill 25% of the case with a really, really hot powder (accurate #2 in a 9mm for example, you can fit at least 3, maybe 4 charges in the case). It may fill most of the case (2230 in a 223 for example). But you use what the data says, not a rule of thumb!

Now, as far as that goes, here are my rules of thumb, and why:

1) fill at least 50% of the case with your powder. Why? If you screw up and double charge your case, it will overflow and you get to feel like an idiot at the press, not on the range as you remove your slide from your forehead.

2) The more you fill the case, the more consistent the load (when using volumetric tools). If you dispense your powder by volume, for example the lee disk dispenser or dippers, then the errors in the amount dispensed are consistent. If you are building a 9mm with 3 grains of hot powder, and are off by .1 grains, that is significant. If you are using a weak, case filling powder that takes 6 grains, .1 grains of error is half as much, relatively, see? So your loads will be more consistent. If you weigh each charge, this does not mean anything, of course, it is only of note for volume dispensers.

3) Powders all cost about the same per pound. If you choose to fill 75% of the case instead of 25%, you pay 3x as much per round in powder costs.

4) Powder is cheaper in bigger cans. If you pick a powder that covers most, if not all, of your load data, you can buy more of it cheaper. That is not always possible: If you load only your 2 most expensive handguns and those are 44 mag and 380 auto, you probably want 2 powders. But see what you can get away with: I can do every caliber I own with 4 powders (2 pistol, 2 rifle).

I meant per the load data as some powders will fill at different levels. Thus making some shake and others not. I didnt mean Id fill some to 70% with not weighing it per the data. But thanks for the warning.

Edited by JeffsSig
  • 2 weeks later...

Things I have bought to add to my Lyman Kit:

I bought a RCBS hand primer (big improvement and easy and quick to use over the auto loader on the Lyman)

Bought a swager for those military crimped primers on the 223 .

Now I see the need to buy another press or 2 to use for the swager and de-caper

Im working on 2000 brass at the moment.