California Gun Law

Guest Coolboarder8913

Guest Coolboarder8913

I am going to California at the end of the month so I checked with the state to find out what the laws were for transporting a weapon in the state since they do not honor anyones carry permit. They told me that the list on their website was just what California residents could buy and that everything except for an assault rifle could be transported. Also that the magazines could be no more than 10 round magazines.

So to my question. There is no limit as to how many mags I can have as long as they are no more than 10 capacity but I can't have 1 15 round mag? Does this make sense to anyone else?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to keep the handgun in a locked case/box when you have it in your vehicle in California. I don't think it matters how many magazines you bring to California. Your hotel room is considered your house there and you can of course keep your handgun in there. Have a great trip.

Agreed, no real point in that law. And yes, as I understand it you can legally have as many 10 round mags as you wish but would be illegal if you had a single 11 round mag.

The whole "assault rifle" thing is odd as well, there are "non-assault" rifles with detachable mags which are legal and I do not see a whole lot of difference.

Of course neither law matters much to the criminals, just restricts us honest folks.

Guest Coolboarder8913

Razorback- All that I would assume to be common sense stuff but thanks. I also do not have to worry about leaving it in a hotel as I will be visiting family. Richards- very good point on the criminals. Laws don't apply to them I guess since they do what they want anyways. Falls along the same lines as tinting your windows too dark. They do it all day long and do not care if they get pulled over but us honest folks have to live with the cops pulling us over just

Guest lostpass

isn't there some cali weirdness about pistol grip rifles. Like a standard AR is out, an AR with a more rifleish grip is cool?

I mean they say no "assault rifles" but isn't select fire a pretty big part of being an assault rifle?

isn't there some cali weirdness about pistol grip rifles. Like a standard AR is out, an AR with a more rifleish grip is cool?

I mean they say no "assault rifles" but isn't select fire a pretty big part of being an assault rifle?

I think they have a published list of "assault rifles". Some of which are completely redic, like old magazine fed war weapons like sks.

Guest bkelm18
Just proves once again that there is no "common sense" in the quirky state laws all over the US. Like TN allowing local governments to opt out of park carry but not requiroing the same type of posting that is required everywhere else.

The posting that is required for parks is actually quite specific and clear, unlike those for businesses.

The posting that is required for parks is actually quite specific and clear, unlike those for businesses.

Except we have an AG opinion, that states you can still be charged even if there is no posting, or the posting does not meet the requirements set out within the law :)

pistol grip ARs have to have a device added to make it not a pistol grip. 10 rounds max for anything including rifles. You CAN have various not-fully-automatic rifles, even semi auto rifles, but the 10 round rule, pistol grip, and several other rules make it a big hassle. I do not know how that works but I have seen pictures of CA approved AR-15s with short stubby mags & what looks like a boat oar screwed on to the pistol grip. However, it may be that those are grandfathered in, there are some guns in CA that were there before law changes and you cannot take a new one of that type into the state (?).

You really, really need to read up on it. It is an extremely strict state with a ton of BS rules that can get you into a lot of trouble in short order.

• 4 weeks later...

To be perfectly fair not being able to have loaded magazines while carrying makes perfect sence if the goal is to get people not to carry, which seems to be the case here. Interestingly enough I hear NOTHING at my local shop about our recently lost right to OC loaded or not. What everyone wants to talk about are AR looking rifles that with the mag disconnect tool and ten rounders are half as "tactical" as your average lever action. Ugh.

To help answer, pistol grips are fine these days and yes, ten rounds is the max unless preban.

Basically you have to have owned them since sometime I believe in the early ninetys.

A friends dad has lots of cool preban stuff out here but until recently it hasn't been worth the headaches to take them out.

Interestingly I believe I read once on Ca DOJ site that you could bring hi cap mags in while visiting so long as they were disassembled. It might be worth looking into.

The Ca approved handgun list is for dealers, and applys to them definatly for new sales and I believe used as well. Having said that, a resident may sell his/her oh say SR1911 (legally acquired while living in another state) through a ptp private sale. The caveat here being any firearm transfer in Ca must be done through an FFL.