Help with Ak Romanian Side Folder wont Lock

plank white

Ok well I bought a Romanian sidefolder today at the Gun Show it looks great and seems to work great but when opened or closed the stock doesnt lock completley it feals snug but with a little pull i can fold or unfold without having to push the lock button so Im thinking something is wrong anybody here have an Idea? this is My first sidefolder so Im just a bit in the dark here

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a wire stock sidefolder? Most should be able to unfold (return to stock position) without depressing the lock. It's designed that way for a reason. If you just pull hard it should release from the folded position. It shouldn't fold up on it's own though. It should be locked firmly in place. I'd have to look at to tell what you're talking about, but I've handled countless wire folders over the years and can tell you when the stock is in the "out" position it should stay that way... for many reasons. Could you post pics of it... some up close ones of the locking mechanism?

I dont really have a way to take upclose pics of it i took it back today and the guy offered to give me back my cash but I opted to keep it instead Im pretty shure the prroblem lies inside where the wedge is that catches the vally when closed I gotta figured out how to take this thing apart so i can get inside and do some small grinding on that wedge and make it less angled and that should stop it from being able to force its way open Now to get this think apart i guess I got to knock out some pins still dont really know how but Im sure ill get it eventually

Edited by plank white

ok i Finally got my camera working right i also Finally got the Stock working right Yay . :)

img71941.jpg

img71951v.jpg

I actually grinded down the Vally in the stock so the Wedge could reach in and get a better bite before grinding it almost flat it was sloped at a low angle etc. now its working fine when opened still wont full lock when closed or "Folded" but thats fine a little bit of pressure and It snaps open and locks just Fine Im Loving it .

Edited by plank white

img7193p.jpg

img7190q.jpg

Only two things Left I want to get an MI Iron sight / Mini Dot for cowitness and put a Short Fore Grip on the rail and take the angled fore grip off and save it for an Under folder because its the only grip that looks right with One .

Also I saw an AK at the Gunshow today it was a 74 and looked really worn like the thing had somehow been sanded or scuffed on the metal to give it that look and it looked badass how would one go about doing that and would it actually harm it when factoring in rust that could happen etc. or is there a way to make your ak look battle worn and still protect it?