How to ship a handgun out of state for customizing

runningfree

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one ship a handgun out of state to have work done on it? ship via UPS of FedEx

Does it have to be shipped by a FFL? No.

Does it have to be shipped back to a FFL? No.

Thanks

UPS seems to be more on top of things when shipping firearms. Go to a UPS hub for shipping, do not use the UPS Stores.

UPS seems to be more on top of things when shipping firearms. Go to a UPS hub for shipping, do not use the UPS Stores.

If you have an account (or know someone who does) and can pre-print the label, no prob dropping off at a UPS Store. Just toss it on counter and go. Or even drop it in a UPS pickup box.

If you have to pay for at counter, might need to go to hub; however, assuming the repair service is an FFL, you do NOT need to declare it as a gun as per federal law, so really don't see why it wouldn't work at a UPS store in that case either.

Note that per UPS TOS, handguns have to be sent some form of overnight. This of course is not federal law either -- might well figure in to claim denial if the shipment were lost or damaged and not sent this way, though.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18

Does FedEx ship firearms? Thought they didn't.

Does FedEx ship firearms? Thought they didn't.

Yes, according to their TOS, though, only to FFL. UPS actually allows between individuals intrastate (though just try if you mention gun), FedEx doesn't. Reports of even more hassle than with UPS though.

No prob shipping long guns through FedEx Ground. Same TOS as UPS on handguns, though, supposed to be shipped overnight.

Pretty much same deal as UPS, though, in that if you have an account and generate label, just toss it at a FX Home Office and split.

'Course you can ship long guns through USPS, too. But not handguns.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest bkelm18

Hmm. For some reason I thought I read they didn't do firearms. Though I've used UPS fine many times. Just print out the label and drop it off. Couldn't be much easier.

Hmm. For some reason I thought I read they didn't do firearms. ...

I toted lots of long guns when I was FX Ground guy.

Used to get pistols for the Para repair place in Sevierville quite a bit; I'd open them and if they were indeed handguns, I'd kick 'em back. Not that I cared, but place was out of the way and I lost money running them out there.

- OS

Guest dubaholic2

I must have just had an odd experience, because I tried to ship just a slide through UPS, and they wouldn't do it. I went straight over to USPS and they were happy to. Weird.

Guest bkelm18

I must have just had an odd experience, because I tried to ship just a slide through UPS, and they wouldn't do it. I went straight over to USPS and they were happy to. Weird.

You dealt with a clerk who was an idiot mot likely. Since the slide is not considered the "firearm" they shouldn't have even questioned it. It's just a hunk of metal.

Last time I went to UPS store, they flat out asked "what's inside here". Of course it was not gun related but I thought it weird they asked.

I wonder if "a box full of non of your F'n business" would satisfy their answer.

Boils down to the fact that interpretations of the law and company policy are decided by the guy at the counter.

Yup. That's why on the few occasions I have to send a gun to an FFL I don't interact with them. I know the law, and circumvent their interpretations of it. I actually have abided by their TOS, too, in that have sent handguns overnight.

The one stickler though, as per your post, is federal law states that guns sent to a non-license holder must be declared to carrier. So that nips it in the bud if the counter help decides it ain't kosher, even though it is by UPS's own TOS (but not FedEx's). This is the only time you must notify, contrary to a prominent FAQ on BATF website. Of course, no notation is put on the package, or on any paperwork connected with it, so it would be unprovable after the fact, but it is the law and I'm not suggesting here that one disregards a law.

But yeah, person to person, if you notify at UPS, most of the time, it ain't gonna fly. Pretty much dead certain it won't at FedEx. At USPS, maybe (of course, only long guns).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot