who here is a good shot?

Guest Mugster
my shooting buddy and I went to the range this weekend and while i was over at the pistol range, he was at the rifle range and he told me about another guy that was there that made an outrageous claim and honestly i dont believe that he can do it, much less that it can even be done by anyone.

he claims that he can group 5 shots into the size of a dime at 2,000 yards. according to my measurements, a dime is 5/8" but i'll give him the size of a quarter (1") for easy math. 1" groups at 2,000 yards is approx. 0.05 MOA, if my math is right.

to be able to even see that far you are going to need at least a 100x power scope to be able to see clearly out that far. i dont think there is a gun or cartridge that can make that shot besides a .50BMG or a .408Chey-Tac. 2,000 yards is over 1 mile, not many people can make a shot like that.

he also claims he can hit a fly at 1,000 yards. also says that if you are good enough you dont need to factor in the wind when shooting 1,000 yards except for the first 35-40 yards as after that the bullet is not affected by it.

also note that i have never seen him actually shoot, he just sits there and BS's with the other guys there.

the best i can find that some one has shot that is documented is 0.1+ MOA and that is only at 1,000 yards.

anyone else think this is impossible

Older guy named pete? Worked for barret as a rifle tester?

He's a pretty good shot, I've shot with him a bit. At 300+ yards off a sandbagged rest (to the berm down there at terry's), he can put up playing cards and take the diamonds/spades/what have you off with a .338 and a $2000 scope. I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy shoveling a little BS now and then. He's a pretty good guy. He wants you to call BS, and then he'll respect you.

I was the guy on the pistol range with my girlfriend shooting revolvers this last weekend and a little rifle before that, if your the incredible hulk looking guy. I was testing reloads out of a armalite down there on another occasion we ran into each other.

Edited by Mugster
description
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grout

I knew some guys like that.String the youngsters along with tales of granduer.I knew a guy who claimed to have killed an elephant in Vietnam with a M16.A lot of people bought his crap.However like the guy mentioned here he actually was a pretty good shooter.

Guest Todd@CIS

Maybe, but a bullsh^tter is a bullsh^tter.

If one feels the need to lie about something like that, they've got "issues" and are likely to be lying about alot of other things.

Rabbi, now you know I wouldn't normally disagree with you - but with my own eyes I saw a man draw and fire 6 shots in under 1.5 seconds. An electronic timer was in use, so the timing isn't subjective. I'm not going to say they were aimed shots, but all 6 were in their targets. 3 targets, 2 shots each.

He used a S&W revolver.

Rabbi, now you know I wouldn't normally disagree with you - but with my own eyes I saw a man draw and fire 6 shots in under 1.5 seconds. An electronic timer was in use, so the timing isn't subjective. I'm not going to say they were aimed shots, but all 6 were in their targets. 3 targets, 2 shots each.

He used a S&W revolver.

Did you get his name?

Didn't get his name. Older gent, North Carolina, early '90's. Don't blame you if you don't believe me, it was hard for me to believe and I watched it (IDPA match I was in).

The retired AF master sergeant who taught me to shoot when I was a wee lad routinely hunted rabbits taking snap shots with a .22 revolver. I've witnessed 3 inch groups fired at 50 yards with a 1911. There are gauges used at pistol matches to determine if more than one shot went into the hole.

What I'm getting at is that, while there are certainly more than enough people who'll BS you, there are a few out there who can do the deed, and most of them aren't famous, and don't brag about it.

Remember the story of Elmer Keith getting mad about some guy calling him a liar to his face in reference to his revolver shooting? Elmer pulled a wad of cash out of his pocket, offered it to the guy and told him to take 500 paces, and give Keith one shot. The guy declined. I don't believe Id've taken that bet either.

Shoot, I myself once took a newly received DCM Garand to the range and shot 1/2 MOA groups with surplus ammo and iron sights. Ticked off the guy in the next lane with the super dooper Remington law enforcement bolt action special / hubble telescope something fierce. Now who would believe that with a rack grade garand?

Older guy named pete? Worked for barret as a rifle tester?

He's a pretty good shot, I've shot with him a bit. At 300+ yards off a sandbagged rest (to the berm down there at terry's), he can put up playing cards and take the diamonds/spades/what have you off with a .338 and a $2000 scope. I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy shoveling a little BS now and then. He's a pretty good guy. He wants you to call BS, and then he'll respect you.

I was the guy on the pistol range with my girlfriend shooting revolvers this last weekend and a little rifle before that, if your the incredible hulk looking guy. I was testing reloads out of a armalite down there on another occasion we ran into each other.

no it wasnt pete, but his shooting buddy(pretty loud person), as i understand it. my shooting buddy told me about this as i was over at the pistol range most of the day.

i can believe taking the spade off a playing card at 330yards( berm at terry's) but not doing it a 2,000yards.

no, i was the tall redhead guy just standing back watching.

pete and this guy def. have some good advice on shooting as i have never had any instruction as how to shoot accurately, but some of it i dont believe.

Guest Mugster
no it wasnt pete, but his shooting buddy(pretty loud person), as i understand it. my shooting buddy told me about this as i was over at the pistol range most of the day.

i can believe taking the spade off a playing card at 330yards( berm at terry's) but not doing it a 2,000yards.

no, i was the tall redhead guy just standing back watching.

pete and this guy def. have some good advice on shooting as i have never had any instruction as how to shoot accurately, but some of it i dont believe.

I dunno who you might be talking about then. Never met em.

Guest AK4ME

There is always gonna be "that guy" at the range that is gonna brag about his abilities with a gun. I am sure we've all made a good shot thats worthy of being told about but its just plain silly to make up things that are just too fantastic to be possible.

When I first met SUNTZU I picked up his Glock and slapped a golfball from 30-40 yards in 2 shots. That was a diecent shot but how much of it was luck? I'm an ok shot but I am sure I got lucky too.

Whats your best "lucky" shot? As a young teenager I hit a cat with a Red Rider from at least 120 yards with indirect fire. I arched the bb to the cat but I had a witness and of corse IT WAS ALL SKILL ........that day.:up:

Guest jackdog

took a pheasant once with a bow at 20 yards. It was a crossing shot from left to right.

(And it was 98% dumb ass luck and 2% who knows what