The Gun-Free Cedars of Lebanon

Wheelgunner

I know this came up when the carry in state parks law was passed, but this was so weird I had to post.

Went to Cedars of Lebanon State Park today for a hike. Saw a sign as I drove into the park stating that firearms are prohibited. First thing, I stopped at the park's main office to investigate. There, I found the official park flier, which contains basic info for all visitors. It had a map of the park, phone numbers for park rangers and emergency services, and the 11 park rules. Rule number 4 was (drumroll) "No firearms allowed."

I asked the kind older lady behind the desk in the visitor center about all the "no firearms" language and its applicability to HCP holders. I thought her reply was particularly rich: "We know people with permits can carry their handguns in the park, but we left the language alone because we're hoping they change the law back."

Luckily, as a Tennessean, I was familiar enough with the law in the first place to know that I was good to carry in the park despite the sign and "park rule." However, I have serious doubts as to whether an out-of-stater with a carry permit that Tennessee recognizes would feel confident in the legality of carrying his handgun in one of our state parks. Kinda sad.

I forgot the best part: She told me not to shoot any snakes while hiking the trail!! Obviously had no idea that the law says it's illegal to fire in a park for any reason except defense of one's life. I guess it's become well known that we permit holders conduct our weekly snake-shooting jamborees in state parks on Saturday mornings...

• Like 1
Guest Star1021Scott

I forgot the best part: She told me not to shoot any snakes while hiking the trail!! Obviously had no idea that the law says it's illegal to fire in a park for any reason except defense of one's life. I guess it's become well known that we permit holders conduct our weekly snake-shooting jamborees in state parks on Saturday mornings...

New tonight at 6....

Guest bkelm18

You should have told her that, that sign was against Tenn. law. I would contact the people that are over the state parks. And tell them about that. gearyr

The sign is not against TN law. The "guns in parks" law allowed parks to maintain their current signage until they would otherwise need to be replaced/repaired. Every state park I've seen has the "No Firearms Allowed" sign. I ignore it as it does not apply to people with carry permits.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest motonut

Just an FYI, it's illegal to kill even poisionus snakes in TN, HCP holder or not.

Now whether you obey the law or not is up to you. Personally, I doubt there's a speed limit law I haven't broken.....

"Just an FYI, it's illegal to kill even poisionus snakes in TN, HCP holder or not."

You are allowed to kill a snake if it's posing a threat to you. Every poisonous snake I've ever seen has posed a threat to me.

LMFAO! :rofl:

Since no one else is asking I guess I will be the first... Where do we meet and what time??? We gotta get up early to kill them snakes and have our jamboree fire!

Its just a joke yall! Truth be known I will probably be the one being killed (by heart attack) if I ever did come across a venomous snake! I was at Savage Gulf in the South Cumberland Recreation Area - where I saw a red sign routed into a 2" x 6" painted red that you had to step-over that said: CAUTION - SNAKES. I have been in a lot of parks but NEVER have a seen a sign that took so much work to make and install - it worked - I was VERY CARFUL Nuff said!

Guest Bassman17SC

My buddy has a cabin near Dale Hollow in Celina. He has had to kill - one big fat rattler plus a lot of copperheads on his property over the years (one of the copperheads was a 42-incher). He has dogs running around, plus the dang snakes are always sneaking around his garage, where he does a ton of tinkering on the boat, etc.

For that reason he always carries a .22 magnum filled with shot shell loads on his hip when he is there. When I visit, I've got either my 9mm or .45 ACP on mine.

I never knew it was illegal to kill venomous snakes in TN and I've been living here since 1968.

Edited by Bassman17SC

That's what the old lady behind the counter thinks is the reason, but it's probably less nefarious than that. The park probably has a cardboard box full of the fliers that were printed up several years ago. Until they run out, they won't reprint more. Same as the signs that bkelm18 mentioned.