Home Defense Shotgun Training

Does anyone know of any classes offered in the Knoxville or Nashville area for home defense shotgun training? I found several in Memphis, but was looking for something closer to home (Powell). Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed Phantom6 yesterday. I have not heard back yet. Would anyone be interested in taking a class on home defense shotgun? I believe we would have to have 6 sign up to arrange a class. He is in Oak Ridge.

Guest Phantom6

Wow, what a timely topic. Our instructor cadre and a group of outside advisors made up of law enforcement, members of the legal community and US military has been planning a defensive shotgun course for nearly a year now and we have just wrapped up the course development. We will have the course syllabus ready by this weekend after we run a class made up of select prior students to make sure that we have all the kinks ironed out prior to offering it to the general public. I can tell you this however. The course will be a 10 hour course with approximately 50% of the time spent on the range. This will be an exercise intensive course.

Some of the topics covered in the course will include the following:

• Understanding the Levels of Awareness & Developing the Defensive Mindset

• Introduction to Defensive Shooting

• Basic Defensive shotgun Skills and Techniques

• Proper employment of Cover and Concealment

• Firearms & the Law: Possession, Ownership & the Use of Deadly Force

• Strategies for Responding to a Violent Threat

• Selecting or building a Shotgun for Self Defense

For those of you that have called and left messages on the school voice mail I will be returning your calls Friday morning but I doubt I will be able to tell you anything more than what I have gone over above. We have an instructors meeting Friday evening and will be working through the course on Saturday and Sunday. After the meeting on Sunday we will be ready to present the course syllabus to y'all. Please stand by.

Watch this thread for complete information including scheduling on Sunday night, 4 May after 9 pm.

Edited by Phantom6

I have emailed and called. left message, but have not received a reply. He may be out of town. If anyone knows him or goes by where he holds classes, please let him know several are interested in a shotgun class.

For what it is worth, I'll be offering the Suarez Int Shotgun Gunfighting class here in the Chattanooga area sometime in the next few months.

I'm just trying to work out the details on whether it will be a 2 days of shotgun or done as a 1 day add on to a pistol class. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I'm just trying to work out the details on whether it will be a 2 days of shotgun or done as a 1 day add on to a pistol class. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I don't understand the question.

Are you asking whether people would prefer 2 days' training that incorporates pistol one day and shotgun the next? That would have the advantage of some training in each (a "two-fer") while some of the concepts will cross over anyway. Further 2 days firing a shotgun is going to be tough on most people's shoulders, so there is some relief there.

Or are you asking whether it is a better idea qua training to spend one intensive day on shotgun or two more leisurely days?

Or what?

That is pretty much it.;)

Just conducting a poll on whether people wanting shotgun classes want a thorough SHOTGUN class for 2 days or whether they really just want a "shotgun familiarization" type 1 day added on to a 2 day pistol class.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

Randy,

I'd be interested in either if the scheduling was right. I PM'ed you a few weeks ago about the SI one day Shotgun course.

Could you maybe schedule a shotgun 1 dayer in conjunction with a handgun course late summer/early fall with a shotgun 2 dayer later in the fall ?

Guest Phantom6

Yo, Greengo. Apparently you missed reading the post (#12) I left just above your Emailed and Called but no response post (#14). I responded in the forum. It's now 1206 and I have just returned from one of the planning meetings that I mentioned in that post. Tomorrow we will be on the range with the test class and Sunday we will be doing a post mortum on Saturday's test class. Sorry I didn't have time to respond to each individually as we have been trying to get this class ready to present. As I mentioned in the last line of the post;

Watch this thread for complete information including scheduling on Sunday night, 4 May after 9 pm.

Phamton6

For some reason I didn't see your post. I will be watching for the info on your class.

Thanks

PS Nice flag. I have one just like it. I ask people if they know what it is. Most say TN state flag.

Guest Phantom6
Phamton6

For some reason I didn't see your post. I will be watching for the info on your class.

Thanks

PS Nice flag. I have one just like it. I ask people if they know what it is. Most say TN state flag.

_______________:up:

Guest Phantom6

OK folks. Here it is.

Basics of Defensive Shotgun Class

The shotgun is the absolute best CQB firearm in existence today. As far as home defense is concerned, handguns are to keep ‘em off of you until you can get to your shotgun. This dynamic course provides you, the student a reality based, aggressive, close quarters method for using the shotgun in the defense of your home. If you rely on a shotgun for self-protection and the protection of your family at home, this course is essential for you.

What will you learn in this 10 hour (3 in the classroom and 7 on the range) course? Well, here is a sneak peek of some of the information you will receive and drilll on in this range intensive course -

· Deadly Force and the Law

· The Moral and Ethical Implications of Deadly Force

· The Myths and Realities of the Tactical Shotgun

· Efficient Selection or Construction of the Home Defense Shotgun

· Ammunition and Support Equipment

· Crisis Management

· Malfunction Clearing

· Understanding Cover and Concealment

· Shoot and No Shoot Situations

· Principles of Tactics and Shooting Aftermath

· Shotgun Condition Checking

· Ready and Carry Positions

· Shooting Positions

· Combat & Tactical Reloading

· Patterning and Zeroing

· Single & Multiple Target Engagements from 3 to 15 meters

· Responses to the Right and Left

· Stress Management

· CQB with your Shotgun

· Shooting On The Move

At the end of the course each participant will have an opportunity to be the "Last Shooter Standing" in a specialized competition that has been designed to allow the students to use the techniques they have learned and drilled on throughout the course.

For a more information on this class follow this link to the Training Announcement and basic syllabus: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95461#post95461

Phamton6

I hope the class goes well. As luck would have it I have another obligation the weekend of the May 24th. Hopefully I can get in a class later in the year.