Memphis Training: Rangemaster or Range USA

I realize there was a thread about this a year or two ago but I am hoping to get a current feel for which training facility I may "get more out of". I have never been to Rangemaster but the wife and I frequent the date night at Range USA. It seems that many dislike Rangemaster because the guys come off as "A-holes" or that they get the feeling they are walking amongst the gods (there words not mine). I am mainly interested in the quality of training and can deal with a tough no-nonsense instructor. I will either be taking the Level II handgun class at Rangemaster or the Self Defense Handgun I at Range USA. Rangemaster requires half the ammo as Range USA so I will definately get more trigger time at Range USA. Still that is not that is not a deal breaker. Help me decide!

I have not yet taken classes from either place yet. I did get my HCP and RangeUSA and they were great and that is normally where I go to shoot.

With that being said I listen to a lot of podcasts with national trainers and have heard RangeMaster in Memphis mentioned numerous times. Since I have a gift certificate to RangeUSA I will probably that the advanced hangun class there but and then take the next class at RangeMaster. My brother in law and his wife took the Level II class at Rangemaster and said what a great class it was.

Good luck with your decision and I'm looking forward to the responses here.

Guest Paul Gomez

RangeMaster is a top flight facility and their training is as solid as it gets. Of course, I may be a bit biased as the owner is a friend and colleague of mine.

Guest Paul Gomez

Oh yeah, of the roughly 30K CHLs in Shelby County, 22K+ have trained at RangeMaster and over the last 15 years Tom has had over 50 of his private citizen students [he also trains military and law enforcement] involved in lethal force encounters. 2 did not come out on top. They were not carrying guns the day they were attacked.

Guest Paul Gomez

I've been to Rangemaster several times to use their range or inquire about training. The result each time was I left Rangemaster, and drove twice the distance, to RangeUSA to shoot or train.

Really. Why? I haven't been to RangeUSA since it's operated under that name. It was still Whitten Arms the last time I was there. What is happening at RangeMaster when you've been there?

Really. Why? I haven't been to RangeUSA since it's operated under that name. It was still Whitten Arms the last time I was there. What is happening at RangeMaster when you've been there?

I haven't been to Rangemaster in several years, but on the few times I attempted to use them, the employee was rather rude. I don't see any reason to repeat the experience.

Guest bluemarlin

I was in Memphis on business last May and took the level II handgun course at Rangemaster. The instructor's name was Randy, but there were a couple of others there helping him. The class was from 6pm to 10 pm two nights in a row. I thought that the range training was excellent, but about half of the time was spent in the classroom watching videos and trying to stay awake. The second night was definately more fun and we didn't get out of there until about 10:30 or a little after. We could have easily went over 200 rounds for the class if each of us had brought more. Randy would have let us. Tom was there at the beginning of class, but he never even stepped into the classroom to say hello or anything. I guess Masaad Ayoob is a guest instructor there sometimes. Randy was OK, he and some of the other male staff members there acted a little holier than thou from time to time but the lady instructor was really good and knowledgeable..All in all, if it were convenient for me to take another class there like it was last year, I guess I would, but I won't drive clear across the state just to take another class there. Hope this helps.

Edited by bluemarlin

The only problem I see with rangemaster is that you need to have a security detail to go into that part of town , especially at night.

I'd guess that the customers of Rangemaster haven't had ptoblems while on their parking lot. Got to be aware of your surroundings at anytime, anywhere in Memphis.

No experience with classes from Range USA, but do I shoot there often, and they normally have a friendly staff. Likewise, I'm sure the training is first class and thorough.

I did take the Level II handgun course two years ago at RangeMaster. the instructor was Randy Richardson. It was a good course and Randy and his staff did a nice job. Tom teaches part of the course via pre-recorded video segments. It was money well spent. It is my understanding any course after level II Tom personally teaches.

Well I have decided and signed up for the Range USA "Self Defense Handgun" class on the 14th of May. I will probably give a short review after the class so stay tuned. If Rangemaster will allow it I may take the Level III course from them next. If they require I take the level II course to start I will not. I want to give them both a chance and want the best training possible.

Well I have decided and signed up for the Range USA "Self Defense Handgun" class on the 14th of May. I will probably give a short review after the class so stay tuned. If Rangemaster will allow it I may take the Level III course from them next. If they require I take the level II course to start I will not. I want to give them both a chance and want the best training possible.

I think you'll be happy there. I'm pretty sure RangeMaster will make you take their course, no matter what you've had elsewhere.