IP redirect

I need a sinple service to redirect my home dynamic IP address to something I can find. I don't really care if it is a name or a number. Does anyone use a service that they like and is reliable?

Thanks, Mark

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The service you are looking for is called Dynamic DNS (or DDNS). no-ip,org is one, and they look pretty good as far as I can tell in the two minutes I spent on their site. Some home routers have a feature built into them to talk to a DDNS service so you don't have to have a computer doing the checking in. You might look in your routers config to see if it has this ability.

The service you are looking for is called Dynamic DNS (or DDNS). no-ip,org is one, and they look pretty good as far as I can tell in the two minutes I spent on their site. Some home routers have a feature built into them to talk to a DDNS service so you don't have to have a computer doing the checking in. You might look in your routers config to see if it has this ability.

no-ip is good, i have used it for years for different game servers and such

Thanks guys. I wish I could just get a static IP out of comcast...

I appreciate the help, Mark

I think you can get a static IP out of comcast if you pester or pay them enough. This would take going at least 3 deep in their help/support line (passed off 3 times to higher skilled people who know what they are talking about).

Thanks guys. I wish I could just get a static IP out of comcast...

I appreciate the help, Mark

You can. Sign up for Comcast "Business Class" service and you'll have the option to add static IP addresses.

As others have said, no-ip is a simple reliable solution.

You can. Sign up for Comcast "Business Class" service and you'll have the option to add static IP addresses.

As others have said, no-ip is a simple reliable solution.

I am familiar with the Business Class service and how expensive it is. This will only be used to check on the house when we are on vacation and to turn lights on if we end up being out later than originally expected...

Mark

Back when we had Comcast I think my IP remained the same nearly the whole time. ...

Mine has changed off and on over the years, I used to jot them down. My last notations I can find show three different ones in last year and a half.

But I think it's more due to service disruptions, if you stay disconnected with modem for several hours now and then, you may get a different one. If modem stays on line 24/7 with no disruptions, probably keep same one indefinitely.

- OS

Guest nysos

Back when we had Comcast I think my IP remained the same nearly the whole time. But the free no-ip route would guarantee you can connect back to the house.

It generally does stay the same. I used to work at comcast in the call center and if I recall the leases were 90 days from the DHCP server, but more often than not the lease would renew with the same IP. The only time it would often change is if they were doing any sort of internal overhauling and the mac table lists would get dumped.

To the OP: to reinforce analog, many things can be done via software or paid service but I am a strong believer of letting hardware do it for you and only having to pay once. If it is important enough to maintain long term I would look at getting a router with DDNS.

My IP with comcast changes about twice a year, and then only if there is a problem at the local hub. It may be different in larger areas though.

The last time mine changed was when I changed Cable modems.

I used to use Dyndns.org, but now I just use network solutions and forward a url direct to my home IP. I need to update that I guess as I recently changed modems and haven't done that yet.

Edited by vontar