nylon 66

BillyBob

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very good guns. Even now they rival any gun made today for reliability.

-0- maintenance guns

They are very lightweight and point perfectly.

They shoot very well.

I have a seneca green and it is the most fun .22 rifle I own by a long shot. Last I checked they were pulling in $350-$400 and the brown ones are $250-300 for 95% shape. That is admittedly CRAZY, but people are willing to pay for them at that price.

For the boomers, there are few rifles that are as easily and solidly identified with the joys of childhood shooting. Still have and shoot mine 45 years later. First gun for lots of us. It is a perfect kids gun.

paid $85 for mine 30 years ago, one of the best shootin .22s I have and I've got several. They are bringing a pretty penny these days. Went to an auction a year or so ago thought maybe I'd buy the one they had. It was really junky, missing the front site, rusty still somebody paid $200 for it.

I might be making this up, but I see, to recall that DuPont owned Remington in the day. Nylon 66 was one of their hot products. The rifle was one do their projects to demo the material.

This is correct....and when DuPont sold Olin and Remington they could no longer sell the Nylon because it was trademarked by Dupont. All the tooling was sold to a company in Brazil who continued to manufacture them under a different name until the tooling and molds wore out in the late 1980's or early 90's.

There is no reason why a company couldn't start producing them again for $150-$175 using a similar material to the plastic fantastic guns sold these days. Figure it would be right up Kel-tec's ally....That would actually give them a reliable firearm in their lineup.

wow my uncle gave my papaw a 22 and i never noticed until i just looked that it is a nylon 66 its in great shape but has been painted camo with some krylon i think

Should be able to remove the paint. Take the receiver cover off and try a little acetone in a covered area to see if it will fog the nylon....if it doesn't that acetone will cut right though krylon. Brake cleaner cuts it too, but may be too hot for the nylon.

Coon hunters buy them up as fast as they come up for sale around here. They're light, accurate, reliable, and darned near indestructible. Just what the wiley coon hunter needs. My wife has one she recieved new as a birthday present. She even still has the box and paperwork.

While we are on the nylon 66...anyone know where to locate a front sight and elevation screw for rear sight. I lost mine a long time ago.

Numrich apparently has Nylon 66 parts:

http://www.gunpartsc...aspx?catid=4358

As much as I don't like ordering anything online, I have had good results ordering from Numrich. Got a new inner mag tube assembly for an old Winchester 190 from there as well as an ejector for a Springfield Model 67 shotgun. Just ordered a new mag tube, follower and mag spring for the same Springfield from them yesterday.

Edited by JAB
Guest TnTnTn

The Nylon 66 is a great little rifle. I had one years ago, sold it. I bought another new one in the early 90s and still have it. It is my carry around rifle when I am out and about on my place if I am not hunting something specifically. It is not that 'accurate' but is accurate enough for its purpose as an iron sight plinker. It is not as well suited for a scope as the scope tends to have a wandering zero because it attaches to the receiver cover which is just a metal shell. TTT

1214101242b.jpg