First AR: should I buy the whole gun or build from parts?

Guest profgunner

Guest profgunner

I'm interested in acquiring my first AR, but I'm not sure where to start. Would I be better off buying an assembled firearm? Or should I build from parts. I am willing to put about $2000 into the project give or take a hundred or so. I want something that is dependable and accurate. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I will use the gun to hunt coyotes and as a backup at home.

Thanks,

Steve

if you have some basic tools and patience build your own. Brownells has a great tuturial and its much more rewarding. I would recommend buying a stripped lower and then buying a complete "rifle kit" that has everything but the lower for your first build. Go to www.joeboboutfitters.com or www.palmettostatearmory.com to buy a kit

Upgraded parts I recommend:

Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group-makes cleaning much easier and the gun will run much longer with very little maintenance

Mil-Spec parts-if they don't at least meet mil-spec then reliability can be hit or miss

Heavy Buffer and a quality buffer spring (spikes tactical make some of the best of both)

Guest 6.8 AR

You can build a reliable AR from parts. There are many who will be glad to assist with the Q&A that follows, also.

You can also get a very good gun in your price range. Either way is fine.

As this is your first AR, you don't know what you don't know.

A) Buy a complete lower and upper and slap them together - avoid the FET, you can also find screaming deals on quality parts once you know what you're doing.

B) Buy a complete rifle

With both choices you should be able to get a reliable rifle with minimal fuss. You don't want to have to get into the platform and deal with problem after problem. The forums are full of novices making minor and major errors. Save that kind of stuff for a 2nd/3rd rifle after you get more experience.

Do your research on manufacturers. You may pay a little more initially for a quality manufacturer but it will pay dividends in the long run. The list is slightly subjective and not complete but Colt, BCM, LMT, Ranier Arms, Daniel Defense, Noveske, KAC, and more. Spikes Tactical makes pretty decent stuff but they can eatadick after the stunt they pulled 4yrs ago. RRA makes pretty decent stuff but there's things you need to be aware of with their specs before you buy them. Milspec is the minimum and good makers can/will exceed it......bad manufacturers can't/won't and then disguise it. Pay attention to reputations....there's almost always a reason for them.

Best way to know your weapon is to build it. I'm not mechanically inclined and had no trouble putting a lower together after following step-by-step instructions online. You also have the advantage of building exactly what you want and know the exact quality of what is within.

You can produce a quality weapon for a reasonable price and still have funds left for optics, ammo, etc.

Guest 6.8 AR

The only problem I've ever had wasn't the gun, but my poorly sized ammo. All of mine function just fine.

To be fair, I bought my first one, an A2 rifle length. It didn't take me any time to decide I wanted to build

one after that. I searched everywhere for a pre-ban lower and got the parts to build upper an lower and

built it in my spare time. One of the easiest things I ever put together. After the AWB sunset, I started

buying parts anywhere I could and built up to now nine AR's with mostly more than mil-spec parts. It is an

addiction, kind of like playing with cars. I was surprised how easy they are to build.

It's not necessarily cheaper to build, but you know what's in it.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The only problem I've ever had wasn't the gun, but my poorly sized ammo. All of mine function just fine.

To be fair, I bought my first one, an A2 rifle length. It didn't take me any time to decide I wanted to build

one after that. I searched everywhere for a pre-ban lower and got the parts to build upper an lower and

built it in my spare time. One of the easiest things I ever put together. After the AWB sunset, I started

buying parts anywhere I could and built up to now nine AR's with mostly more than mil-spec parts. It is an

addiction, kind of like playing with cars. I was surprised how easy they are to build.

It's not necessarily cheaper to build, but you know what's in it.

I only have four, but I'm probably not done. Kinda hunting the next caliber. Maybe a blackout.

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't know. Never bought any of them, like you. I bought Yankee Hill, Armalite, DPMS, barrels from people

who contracted to certain specs, bolts and carriers above mil-spec, several uppers above mil-spec, I'd

have to look at them to tell you more. I tried to order some Del-ton stuff, once, but they wouldn't answer the

phone. Guess I got lucky with them. Don't own any Doublestar, but I've heard good and bad, so I don't know

there, either.

All my AR's are okay to me.

My first (and still my favorite) was a Doublestar built by a TGOer. I built all the others I have and really enjoy the whole build process.

I build for the hobby/enjoyment value, not so much because of financial reasons.

Guest 6.8 AR

More good now. See, that didn't take long :D I've only heard of some sloppy assembly mistakes on their

whole rifles and that was some while back and very limited, from a dealer in our fair state.

I think building lowers not only saves on cost but also gives you full customization. Uppers on the other hand, seem to be cheaper to buy a quality pre-assembled one from a reputable vendor. Pretty much any combination you can think of is already sold. You do have freedom to swap out charging handles, bcg's, muzzle brakes, and sights, but buying a complete upper (barrel, receiver, rails, and all their associated small parts) seems to the better deal. Plus most manufacturers test them so at least you know it works.