Why it's so hard to be a good gun salesmen

Guest lostpass

This story reminds me of the guy in the local gunstore that told me the Beretta CX4 rifle I was looking at took two different types of magazines... Beretta and Glock. Same gun, both magazines. It was funny really.

Same physical gun, no. Same model gun, yes. He was close.... but oh so wrong.

I do agree that you should try to enjoy the experiance of purchasing a firearm. Shopping don't cost nothing. I also agree that if you are standing in front of the gun you want but Bilbo's Gun and Pawn across town has it for $40 cheaper, buy the gun and pay the extra $40. It will cost you more than $40 worth of trouble to spend the time and money to drive all the way to Bilbo's.

When I go to purchase a gun I am willing to pay a fair price, I am not going to dilly dally over a few bucks. I also try to buy from a dealer I like and trust, even if it cost a few more dollars. Your gun dealer will remember you kindly.

I dislike all sales people everywhere. Any product that I buy (>$300), I will do my homework or due diligence long before I step into a store, a car lot, ask a quote for or place an order on the internet. I am totally amazed at the lack of serious knowledge salespeople actually have about the product they sale, push, etc. I really rather for a salesperson to just be quite, courteous, and let me look at the product. The questions I do ask would likely be about how to setup the purchasing leverage, vs. product features. I have always contended that if I need the knowledge of the salesperson, then I have not done my homework, and I deserved to be taken advantage of. I have professionally worked in purchasing for close to 20 years. I have seen every type of salesperson out there. Big industry has ruined me when it comes to salesman. From the cute girl at Krystals wanting me to upsize my meal, to the guy with the gun shooters vest behind the counter that seems to know the twist of each gun barrell, and type of select steel used to forge the parts, but doesn't know the difference between gen 1, 2, 3 or 4 Glock 17, or even what does 17 mean! To the men in jackets and ties who break their neck to storm my car for driving on to the car lot to look at a price of a new car, that is so fake and just commical. I know they are making a living, but please prey on someone else, just be quite and courteous. Sorry for bashing salesmen, I have not met one no not one that I ever trusted, or believed a word that came out of their mouth. I do know there are gullible people out there, that do not value the money they have earned (or yet to earn to pay on credit) that sales people prey on, but I am not one of them. Never will be!

As far as the "so an so has it cheaper" line, my answer is simple. I've worked some retail, some customer service, and sometimes a normally completely reasonable and logical person can "lose it" and throw a pizza oven. Anyways, I've always felt if you wanna buy the product somewhere else GO BUY IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. You wanna buy it here, I'm thrilled, you don't wanna buy it here then why are you here. Don't try and bully me with empty claims about other people's prices. We had a guy at Blockbuster once, I thought he was great but the assistant manager hated him after his one and only visit. Old man comes up to the counter to rent a movie, manager rings it up total was $5.44. Old man says "5 DOLLARS!" "Yes sir." "FOR A MOVIE?" "Yes sir.". Then he simply yelled no and walked out. I loved it. He didn't like our prices so he simply refused and left. That's how business works, if our prices are too high we go out of business through our own fault, but the prices are what they are and they're not going to change just for one person.

I have to disagree with Ebow1 at least for items >$300. Prices may be what they are, but to close the deal, one must be willing to negotiate. Even Sears will negotiate on a $450 appliance, they may take off 10%, or thrown something of a $30 value, but I do not pay as stated price on nothing >$300. I have even had HHGreg throw in a Blu-Ray, and the HDMI cables for $0, even though they had the best piece price in town on a Sony LCD 52", they simply wanted to close the deal and not lose my business when they realized I was going to walk. Wal-mart will budge a little on really expensive items, I know. I don't care about the guy down the road, if I am in your store, and you want my money, then you might just have to negotiate, and yes, if I don't like your offer, then yes I can leave, no hurt feelings, its simply business. My money does not leave my pocket unless it is a good deal from my perspective. Heck, I will drive to out of state or the local market to buy a $30,000 car if I can save $300 over a local dealer. My time is free, my money is not! In today's economy customers are just more scarice then they use to be. Buyers have all the leverage if they will simpy do their homework.

Guest FIST

My time is free

Mine isn't.

Somethings just aren't worth the hassle to me. Example. LGS has pistol for 440 out the door. Buds, same one for 420 after transfer. Could of saved 20 dollars but to me it wasn't worth waiting for it to arrive or the hassle involved. For 300 bucks on a car, nope. The time I spend driving and dealing with another car salesman could be spent with my kids. I've lost too much time over the years and despise how money makes people behave. Mind you, I don't have money to burn, but my wife and kids have a roof, food, and clothes and after that if I spend a few extra bucks supporting my LGS, so be it.

Runco, this is not in any way directed towards you, the despise part is the people that put money on a pedistal.

Edited by FIST

I've done some sales for Dell. Being a good salesman is hard to do without being a sleaze. That would explain why I decided to go with the technical side of things.

OTOH I have always gotten excellent service and a higher level of knowledge than I ever would have expected out of the guys at Guns & Leather in Greenbrier.

This might be a long post, but I've got a relevant story here.

Having bad customer service will cost a place money. When my wife and I decided to get carry permits, I started researching guns for us to carry and where we wanted to take the class. I ended up at gun store A (not a chain) that had an indoor range, they offered the class, they had guns and ammo in stock...the whole nine yards. They also had the gun I was looking for in stock. I checked around and found that a guy who owned store B...about 45 minutes further away...could order me the gun for about $50 less. I went into store A and asked the owner, "If I get a range membership for me and my wife, buy 1000 rounds of ammo, holster, and sign us both up for the carry class, would you sell me that gun for $50 less than the price you have it marked?" I honestly don't think I was being unreasonable. His answer was, "Nope." And that was the end of it. When I went to store B and asked him to order the gun and told him that my wife and I were signing up for the carry class (which he didn't offer), he said he was glad to hear it and didn't charge me for shipping the gun. He had my business until he closed his doors...about 12 guns over 2 years. And I have told dozens of people this story and they've all avoided store A. I might not have been so torqued about the whole thing if the guy hadn't just given me a "Nope" without any sort of care one way or the other. Even if it had been, "I'm sorry, I just can't do it", I at least wouldn't have left with such a bad taste for the place. I guess he had plenty of other business to count on.

The bottom line is, I will be loyal to a place, and the will get my money, if they treat me like they want my business.