Stones River Shooting Range

Guest jkintn

Guest jkintn

I want to shoot my AR for the first time and limited on options for places to shoot. What can you tell me about the Stones River Range near Longhunter? I know the hours are limited to Fri-Sun. Do I need to bring my own targets? Also for handguns, can you shoot at various distances or only at full 50-foot distance? I want to get some rounds through my handguns as well.

Any other options for shooting rifles in the Nashville area?

I have spent some time at the Cheatham WMA Range. Its not a bad drive from Nashville, maybe 30min depending on where you live. You can shoot pistols at short distances as well as rifles out to 100 yards. I have seen just about every kind of gun you can image out there.

The range is basiclly self regulated and everyone I have come in contact with seems to have good judgment. I have copied the range information below which came directly from the TWRA website. Hope this helps.

Cheatham WMA Firing Range and Archery Range

Open 12:00 noon until dark every day. Fee required: Adult (age 16 or older - $5.50 for 2 hours), Youth (under 16 years of age - $1.50 for 2 hours). Must purchase the range entrance ticket from a TWRA license agent. No tickets available at the range. Use or possession of alcoholic beverages prohibited. Contact Randy Cromer (615) 792-4510.

They have seperate rifle and pistol ranges. You can use both with one admission. They have basic targets, but you will probably prefer to use your own. All ranges have post holes at various distances. The handgun range is 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards IIRC. You can also shoot .22 long-guns on the handgun range to get sighted in.

The rifle range has post holes at various distances as well, with a max of 100 yards. They have two positions with a 200 yard max. If you want to use them, call first as they are usually already reserved.

Guest Averhoeven

I shoot my rifle at Charlie haffner memorial range. Its about a 30 minute drive from Nashville, lots of space, 25 to 300 yard targets anf a pistol pit. Best of all its only $60 per year and open 6 days per week. Can't beat that.

Edited by Averhoeven

I shoot my rifle at Charlie haffner memorial range. Its about a 30 minute drive from Nashville, lots of space, 25 to 300 yard targets anf a pistol pit. Best of all its only $60 per year and open 6 days per week. Can't beat that.

I was just there this weekend. I am pretty confident the farthest they have is 100yds unless he opened up another shooting area.

Stones River handgun is adjustable at 5, 10, and 15 yards, and 50 feet.

Rifle is adjustable at 10, 25, 50, and 100 yards, plus two 200 yard only lanes.

Targets have to be non-silhouette targets unless you buy some from them. I'm glad they added that option, but their silhouette targets suck. Mostly because the posts of the target frames are spaced too close together for a normal sized silhouette target. Stick to dinner-plate sized round targets or smaller and you'll be fine.

Charlie has been working on a longer range up by the house for a while, I know he was looking at 200 or 300 yards for it, but I don't know that it's open.

Stones River handgun is adjustable at 5, 10, and 15 yards, and 50 feet.

Rifle is adjustable at 10, 25, 50, and 100 yards, plus two 200 yard only lanes.

Targets have to be non-silhouette targets unless you buy some from them. I'm glad they added that option, but their silhouette targets suck. Mostly because the posts of the target frames are spaced too close together for a normal sized silhouette target. Stick to dinner-plate sized round targets or smaller and you'll be fine.

Charlie has been working on a longer range up by the house for a while, I know he was looking at 200 or 300 yards for it, but I don't know that it's open.

Last I heard, might not happen. There is some property for sale that borders and sounded like it was on hold.

Guest Averhoeven

Ditto. CHMR is 25-100Y only.

My bad, thought I saw a longer range listed somewhere on a website. Maybe I was reading something else, but now that you mention it I have not seen anything longer.

My bad, thought I saw a longer range listed somewhere on a website. Maybe I was reading something else, but now that you mention it I have not seen anything longer.

Go to Montgomery County Shooting Complex in Clarksville,if you do infact want longer ranges. They have your typical 25-100 yard targets at one station, and 200,300,400 yard targets at the next station beside it. They have handgun and shotgun stations as well but never shot on them.

Bring your own paper targets,or you will need to buy some in the shop there.

• Like 1

I go to Stones River, recently took the kids. The shooting range is great when un-crowded. When crowded your dealing with the kids who are unloading 15 rounds as fast as they can. Gets a little obnoxious, but I can relate....just not every magazine, lol

My only real complaint about the TWRA range is you only get about 10 minutes per relay. So if you are taking your time trying to adjust a scope or anything that may take a few minutes it can get frustrating when you get partially through what you're trying to do and you have to go cold for 5 minutes every 10. Make sure if you go that you have everything setup the way you want it at home so you can just load and shoot while you are there. I've also noticed the range officers sweeping up brass behind shooters. They don't have a problem with you keeping it, but they can be a little over diligent on keeping it cleaned up - some more than others.

Charlie's range in Spring Hill is great if you like or need to tinker at the firing line. I've completely changed setups and even hand loaded using my Lee hand press right there on the line. No feeling of being rushed and everyone I've seen there are just as safe and responsible. Just wish it were closer to my house.