Primers to use for my AR15

Guest Slatton

Guest Slatton

I'm about to prime my brass for the first time and am wondering which primers to use. I have an AR15 chambered for 5.56 pressures.

I plan to be using 75gr bullets and load them as fast as I can reasonably get them.

I heard about cci 41 military primers but I was hoping to find something cheaper and I do not think anyone sells cci 41 around Chattanooga. Would other small rifle primers work just as well?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, any small rifle primers will do, one is much like another for general purpose ammo. Ive been using cci 450 (magnum) in my 223s and its been flawless.

Edited by Jonnin

Not all small rifle primers are the same. And not all small rifle primers are designed to work with the 223/5,56. Remington 6.5's are small rifle but are for lower PSI calibers like 22 hornet or 221 fireball.

CCI400, CCI450, Remington 7.5, CCI 41, and Wolf Small Rifle Magnum are ones I have used with great success in my 223's.

Dolomite

That makes sense --- looking back it seems most of the types I tried all said magnum.

I think sportsman's has the 450s currently, but their primer supply is all over the place lately. You can try, is all I can say.

I have used Wolf primers for " plinking" and practice loads. Remington, Winchester and Federal for 200 and 300 yard loads but, prefer Winchester. I use CCI BR4's for 600 yard loads with Sierra 80 grain BTHP's.

I have used Wolf primers for " plinking" and practice loads. Remington, Winchester and Federal for 200 and 300 yard loads but, prefer Winchester. I use CCI BR4's for 600 yard loads with Sierra 80 grain BTHP's.

Wolf SRM primers cut my SD in half. My SD with the Wolf primers and Varget is 6, yes six. It got rid of the vertical stringing and resulted in some sub .3" groups at 100 yards.

Dolomite

Do you pay the dangerous material fee to have them shipped?

If you must do this, do it in bulk. The fee per primer is very high for small amounts, while for a large order, it can be manageable. You can also try to get someone local to order it --- you might try N GA reloading, for example, I would bet if you wanted a case they would order it for you. Bulk buyers distribute the hazmat over many cases of products and greatly reduce the fees.... and I think FFL / ammo makers can reduce the fees somehow.

Edited by Jonnin

Do you pay the dangerous material fee to have them shipped?

yes, you pay a haz mat fee. it is $27.50 an order. so it is best to order 10 to 20 thousand primers at a time and some powder. even with shipping and haz mat fee i beat the local prices by a mile.

Guest canebreaker

My last buy of wolf spm primers cost 02.8 cent each. If I could have got into a group buy, they could have been as low as 02.1 each. Based on prices, shipping and hazmat of last group buy I saw.

Guest Slatton

Is this site cool with group buys? I'm looking for alot of CCI #41 primers if anyone is intrested. And Varget powder too.

I am not aware of anything in the rules about group buys at all. Most of the restrictions are on the part of selling items.

I am not currently looking to group buy. If I get low enough later, I may, but my stockpile ATM is sufficient and my funds are low.

I will say I have rarely seen a group buy work out for ALL participants. There almost always some sort of bickering or someone feeling like they got ripped off.

This is why I will never be involved in a group buy, here or elsewhere.

You guys do know that David (DLM37015) has the cheapest price on primers of anywhere you can buy them, either in person or on the net. He also has everything else you might need to reload most calibers. Plus he is a Tennessee resident, a veteran and you will not meet a nicer person. And he is a welath of knowledge for those of you with a question regarding reloading or components.

And on top of all this he is also a PAID vendor here so you are also supporting this great website by buying from him.

No need to search far and wide to find a great person to deal with that also has great prices.

Dolomite

• 3 weeks later...

how many do you want

And David will beat anyone's prices. Not only that he is a very nice person in general. I have been buying from David for a very long time now. He is an honest guy who offers great prices on great items. He also routinely has stuff no other dealers can get.

Dolomite