Saiga 12 guru's

Ok...I've read about as much as I can read, on why my 12 will not cycle. I'm done reading and need some action. This thing will not cycle to save my life (no pun intended). Basically Im looking for someone to smooth everything out, change the spring, and add a different gas plug (and anything else that needs to be done) to alleviate any issue on why it will not cycle. The closer to Nashville the better. I probably could do everything myself, true. However, there is a strong peace of mind knowing someone who actually understands guns/parts, is the one working on it. Thanks for any help....

drew

Edited by Dmo34
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the bolt moves, however it will not eject the spent cartridge. The empty casing never fully ejects and the spent shell gets all mangled, thus requiring to pull open the slide to manually release. Ive also noticed the slide pulls back fairly easy the first 2/3rds of the way back. But I can definetly feel more tension the last 1/3

Edited by Dmo34

Will not cycle even heavy 2 3/4 shells. When firing the shell will go off, the slide then comes back, the shell does not get ejected, and the slide returns forward, pinching the crap out of the used shell. On setting 1, the slide will barely move back. On setting 2 it seems to make more of an effort. TLR--just ordered the reliability kit, from carolina shooters.

Depending on how old it is there may be some warranty left on it. Warranties are limited one year on the Saiga. If it is a gas port issue (which is what is sounds like) you'll want that dealt with. Troy Sellars at In Range in Kodak, TN is the closest that could handle it. http://www.inrangec2.com/

Edited by Smith
Depedning on how old it is there may be some warranty left on it. Warranties are limited one year on the Saiga. If it is a gas port issue (which is what is sounds like) you'll want that dealt with. Troy Sellars at In Range in Kodak, TN is the closest that could handle it. http://www.inrangec2.com/

.........I love warranties............

Take the top cover off and fire the gun.

I had some clearance issues that sound exactly like what you are experiencing. I was trying to fit a AKM top cover for the apperance but didn't get it clearanced enough. Sounds like the gun is extracting and ejecting and then the shell is getting hung somewhere.

What magazine are you using? Only use the factory mag until you get the cycling issue sorted out. All other mags can and do cause problems if not properly fitted.

What parts have you added? The Tapco hammer is the worst for causing malfunctions. It sits too high and drags heavily on the underside of the bolt. And even if you grind it down enough to cycle it will no longer strike the firing pin squarely.

Or if you want I can PM you my number and we can talk aobut other potential problems.

They are actually a very basic firearm. It doesn't take much to get them to cycle.

Dolomite

Take the top cover off and fire the gun.

I had some clearance issues that sound exactly like what you are experiencing. I was trying to fit a AKM top cover for the apperance but didn't get it clearanced enough. Sounds like the gun is extracting and ejecting and then the shell is getting hung somewhere.

What magazine are you using? Only use the factory mag until you get the cycling issue sorted out. All other mags can and do cause problems if not properly fitted.

What parts have you added? The Tapco hammer is the worst for causing malfunctions. It sits too high and drags heavily on the underside of the bolt. And even if you grind it down enough to cycle it will no longer strike the firing pin squarely.

Or if you want I can PM you my number and we can talk aobut other potential problems.

They are actually a very basic firearm. It doesn't take much to get them to cycle.

Dolomite

Dolo--

Top cover is factory, The only thing Ive added is a tapco adjustable stock w/handle and a tapco forearm. I have been trying to use the 13 round mags. Once I get the goodies in from carolina shooting, I will try the standard mag. If I have problems after that, expect a phone call, lol. Thnaks for all the help

drew

Have you done anything to the hammer or trigger? Have you replaced them?

I would be willing to bet the magazines are the issue. Did you buy them new? and if so did you fit them?

Are they drum mags? I have seen more issues with drum mags than all others combined. Now some work great but most cause issues.

Did the gun fire fine before the modifications?

When was the last time you cleaned out the area in front of the puck? It can be filled with plastic hull material over time and can cause cycling issues.

I know it is more questions but it would be great to say it was somehting simple or more importantly cheap to fix.

Dolomite

Dolo--

No hammer/trig mods. I honestly cant ever remember firing the stock magazine....just got into the modding process pretty quickly. Yes, they were bought new. I have a drum that had to file down to so it would lock. Have not test fired the drum (due to the frustration of the other mag) I just cleaned the area in front of the puck, there was some build up, but not enough I dont think to cause all of this. Dolo---my question is, when are you heading to Nashville? I got something I need you to look at, lol. Gonna get this Carolina stuff in, and give it another go. My 13 yo daughter is wanting to shoot this thing bad!! Seems her Glock 19 has become...blah ...as they say.

Dolo--

No hammer/trig mods. I honestly cant ever remember firing the stock magazine....just got into the modding process pretty quickly. Yes, they were bought new. I have a drum that had to file down to so it would lock. Have not test fired the drum (due to the frustration of the other mag) I just cleaned the area in front of the puck, there was some build up, but not enough I dont think to cause all of this. Dolo---my question is, when are you heading to Nashville? I got something I need you to look at, lol. Gonna get this Carolina stuff in, and give it another go. My 13 yo daughter is wanting to shoot this thing bad!! Seems her Glock 19 has become...blah ...as they say.

I can't spend much time in the car. I can help you out any way I can on here or on the phone.

I say go back to basics. Use the factory mag and start from there. It sounds like it is mag related.

Dolomite

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kingarmory

MD Arms Booster Puc

Mike Davidson is a hack who made a crappy copy of our part out of ALUMINUM, needless to say they get tore up pretty quick.

546175_394518897256120_107371989304147_1041764_347709360_n.jpg

DMO34, email me a shipping addy at joey@kingarmory.com and I'll mail you out a KA-SG01A tappet, if it fixes your problem then send us a check, if it doesn't fix the problem mail the part back. If your gas ports are drilled correctly and aren't obstructed then the gun should eat low-brass (Federal works best IME) fine with the KA-SG01A installed. If you'd like also, give me a call at 520-450-0678 and I'll fly you through some basic diagnostics on the Saiga, quality control on them is hit or miss so there's just a couple things you'll want to check out before assuming its set up the way it should be.

Edited by kingarmory

I will add to the fact that an aluminum puck is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Not sure how much you paid for it but you need your money back. aluminum would not hold up to the blast and hammering.

I made my own out of 17-4 stainless and it needed to be hardened before it was useable.

If you have a factory puck you might try that until KA gets you their puck. If you don't have a factory one anymore I will gladly help you put by sending you mine until you get something better.

And I will be glad to spend any amount of time on the phone you need to get your Saiga running. I am sorry someone took advantage of you with their ignorance.

Let me know.

Dolomite

Guest kingarmory

Yup, aluminum has no place in a gas system. Surprises me how many companies are making muzzlebrakes out of aluminum as well. Guess a lot of people slept through metallurgy class :(

Guest kingarmory

It is easier and quicker to machine in their CNC operations. And time is money.

Yup. Plus they get more feet of bar stock per pound so their material cost is substantially less as well. Too many idgits out there with a CNC machine and idle time