I opening a can I guess, but..

I am an old guy that started shooting over 50+ years ago. I was raised on revolvers and 1911's. I still love them. I recently bought a Glock 33 for concealed carry. The Glock 33 fits in my front (or back) dungaree pocket. It will fit in the front pocket of my sunday khakis. I am a handloader and shoot regularly. The Glock is as reliable as anything I have ever handled. They are ugly when compared to "real guns" --N Frame Smiths, Colt 1911's, and other great things like Single Action Armies -- what they bring to the party is reasonable cost (about $500 vs 1200), great reliability, concealability, and a stupendous punch (357 sig) that you just can't get anywhere else for the money. Gaston Glock is a genius who did something that very few inventors have ever done. He designed and built a completely new pistol that is superbly accurate, cheap to build, easy to take apart, and is easy to shoot. All you need to to with a Glock is to know how to pull the trigger. All in all; they are ugly; but a great thing. Try one out sometime and it will make you a believer.

Kind Regards,

LEROY

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

I will like my Glock better once I get the original barrel out of it and a aftermarket one in it. And a new trigger, a mag well.. umm tungsten uncaptured spring guide, 13lb spring, Dawson fiber optic sights.. lets see is there anything else? Oh yeah.. those +5 mag extentions so that each mag holds 20 rounds. There.. that should do it..

Edited by FroggyOne2
Guest Packina45

I have also owned and shot 1911s, Berettas, Rugers, Smith J, K, N, and now X frames. Have to say I have tried hard to like them plastic guns. Owned a Ruger P95 and shot a couple of Glock 9mms. I really do not like the toy feel. I know, I know, ya'll are gonna make me dance... B) But I cannot get past the feel. My SA.45, Para P-14 and my eBay built clunker Commander have ALL shot 10 rings reliably and fit my hand well.

After reading some of the OLD pages in this thread, I am going to look at a compact Model 30 .45 and see if it fits my ham hand and if the size/weight would a better carry. Anyone have one and want to share their experience??

Three Letters For Ya.......

XDm

:hiding:

Great feel, reliability, 16+1 capacity in my .40, interchangeable backstrap, match barrel, SUPER easy takedown, backstrap SAFETY + USA trigger, NEVER A FTF of ANY KIND, "tuff, tuff, tuff"...

Owned others, LOVE THIS ONE...

I'm not a glock hater in the fact that I realize that it is the right gun for some people. As far as I'm concerned I've never shot one and I don't feel that I need to. I have held them and I can't stand the way it feels in my hand, especially the 3rd gen where the finger grooves do not line up with where I want my fingers, or the ergonomics of how it naturally points for me.

As far as my own polymer guns are concerned I own a XD and a USP and they work wonderfully for me, but I'm not going to be a XD snob or a HK snob and look down on glocks as inferior they are simply not the right gun for me.

I have also owned and shot 1911s, Berettas, Rugers, Smith J, K, N, and now X frames. Have to say I have tried hard to like them plastic guns. Owned a Ruger P95 and shot a couple of Glock 9mms. I really do not like the toy feel. I know, I know, ya'll are gonna make me dance... :D But I cannot get past the feel. My SA.45, Para P-14 and my eBay built clunker Commander have ALL shot 10 rings reliably and fit my hand well.

After reading some of the OLD pages in this thread, I am going to look at a compact Model 30 .45 and see if it fits my ham hand and if the size/weight would a better carry. Anyone have one and want to share their experience??

I have the Glock 30. I like the feel of the gun and the concealability of it. The only problem I had with it is the length of the grip wasn't long enough for me, but that was fixed with the Pearce Grip extension. I liked it so much, that I bought the fullsize Glock 21 to go with it. Now, I've bought XS 24/7 Big Dot sights to go on both guns. I like the 45 ACP round and really like the Glock pistols. My wife really likes the 21 also.

Guest HexHead

It's the perception that the Glock must be best because so many LEO agencies use it. Never mind that most agencies make that decision purely on price.

Guest Bill Lumberg

Anyone that thinks price is the foremost consideration for agencies doesn't know much about law enforcement. Reliability and functionality loom far larger.

Guest Packina45
I have the Glock 30. I like the feel of the gun and the concealability of it. The only problem I had with it is the length of the grip wasn't long enough for me, but that was fixed with the Pearce Grip extension. I liked it so much, that I bought the fullsize Glock 21 to go with it. Now, I've bought XS 24/7 Big Dot sights to go on both guns. I like the 45 ACP round and really like the Glock pistols. My wife really likes the 21 also.

Good to hear, bnaga... i will be going to the Outpost this weekend for Mother's Day :P and will have a feeler on a model 30 and others. we'll see what happens!!

Guest Packina45

I'd be nuts to miss this one... it's 30 minutes from the house!! They have cleared out the property a lot since a couple of years ago too. Really nice now. Hope to see ya'll there. :hat:

not extremely accurate but very dependable and certaintly not ergonomic for many

I'll have to agree with this part. Had a G19 and it was horrible. Not accurate at all and not very comfortable after a few rounds. Prefer my XDm's instead. Actually had to buy another one b/c my wife took mine.

Guest Bill Lumberg

They're very accurate. Don't confuse lack of skill with a particular weapon with that weapon not being accurate. Glocks are less forgiving of user error than some heavier guns, and require a bit more skill to shoot well.

They're very accurate. Don't confuse lack of skill with a particular weapon with that weapon not being accurate. Glocks are less forgiving of user error than some heavier guns, and require a bit more skill to shoot well.

The problem with this statement is that you are assuming that glocks are all the same. But, they are a manufactured gun and are not the same particularly when it comes to accuracy. I have seen some in a ransom rest shoot nothing under 8 inches at 25 yards with 3 different loads and when I put my 23 in there it printed under 3 inches with all three loads. So it may not be the shooters skill level. Same with an XD I had. I ended up sending it back to be re-barelled and now it shoots pretty well. Acceptable anyway.

The problem with this statement is that you are assuming that glocks are all the same. But, they are a manufactured gun and are not the same particularly when it comes to accuracy. I have seen some in a ransom rest shoot nothing under 8 inches at 25 yards with 3 different loads and when I put my 23 in there it printed under 3 inches with all three loads. So it may not be the shooters skill level. Same with an XD I had. I ended up sending it back to be re-barelled and now it shoots pretty well. Acceptable anyway.

I've heard that knock on the XD before, as well, but I shoot mine quite a bit, and never had acuuracy issues from it. The only problems I've ever had was FTF on reloaded LSW ammo. Using just regular RN and HP ammo, it has never been an issue. Same with my Father-in-law's XD, which was purchased the same day from the same dealer (Volunteer Ordnance) at a gun show. I also had a G19 that had serious FTF problems, as well as accuracy, and switched to a 23, and never had a problem out of it. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's the firearm, and not the shooter.

As far as the Sigma goes, I have a friend that owns one. It's not any less accurate, I guess, but the trigger SUCKS. Needs some serious polishing. Also, the slide seemed like it was on sandpaper for a while. I guess when you put a couple thousand down the barrel like my friend did, it smooths the slide up pretty well. lol

Guest Bill Lumberg

You are correct. 20+ years of shooting glocks and working for an agency that has yet to have a glock with accuracy issues lulled me into thinking that they're generally quite accurate guns. There may be exceptions, but experience would indicate that they are rare.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have a keen sense of beauty, and I think that glocks are beautiful weapons. They are exactly as they are intended to be. It is utilitarian, reliable, indestructible and accurate. Any machine like this I am going to love.

On a separate note; an Heirloom doesn't have to be pretty. I own a 110 year old double barrel 10GA granny gun that's had all the bluing worn off. It has a laminated belgium steel barrel. Uglier than my granny who gave it to me, but I still love it and think it's beautiful.

And my wife....

Guest 70below

On a separate note; an Heirloom doesn't have to be pretty. I own a 110 year old double barrel 10GA granny gun that's had all the bluing worn off. It has a laminated belgium steel barrel. Uglier than my granny who gave it to me, but I still love it and think it's beautiful.

And my wife....

To me it doesn't get any better than Damascus steel.......whether it be a barrel, knife, whatever.....