Training Beyond CCW Class

OK! I keep getting the nudge at the top of every page that I haven't posted lately, so here goes.

I have had my Handgun Carry Permit for about 12-13 years now. Got it back when we had to be bonded. I've taken one refresher course to bone up on changes to the laws and their interpretation. Now I am curious about further training to increase my skill with a handgun. I have read several threads about all the courses that many on this site have attended and it is obvious that most are Law Enforcement or other professionals. I'm just an ordinary guy, older than most here, who would like to go through a day or two of good instruction and practice that I can continue on my own at the local range. I don't spend all my free time at the range and mostly shoot by myself, so it is easy to fall into bad habits. Are there any courses that fit this criteria in either the Memphis area or Nashville area or in between?

Unlike the courses to get the permit, I don't need instruction on the difference between a semi- automatic pistol and a revolver or similar topics. I own several examples of each and would like to be more proficient with them and more confident in carry situations.

Looking forward to the replies. Also maybe this will get the message about no recent post off the top of the page.

Thanks

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grimel
I can highly recommend Tom Givens of Rangemaster in Memphis.

Definitely. Tom took my dad up several levels of competency in his 2 day Dynamic Marksmanship class. My dad was 63 and it was his first class. Helped him understand things I've been preaching to him for years.

Guest Todd@CIS

I know this place in the Nashville area...

...we have a Defensive Pistol June 14-15.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Check out Pistol Class on this thread. lmsdefense.com is having a class in McEwen on June 7 and 8. Check out their web site. If you don't know where McEwen is it is 60 miles west of Nashville, 15 miles west of Dickson and 30 miles east of Camden. If coming from Memphis you would take I40 to exit 143. This should give you some idea where it is located.

Guest grimel
Thanks for all the responses. I won't be doing this in the next couple of weeks but do intend to look into it before the summer is over. Do any of these classes have an upper age limit?

My dad was 63 and has 2 artificial knees, and multiple shoulder surgeries when we did Rangemaster's Dynamic Marksmanship class.

He's ready to try a shotgun/rifle class this year.

Find a local IDPA match

IDPA is a great place to keep your gunhandling and shooting skills sharp (USPSA also) but it should NOT be used to take the place of training. If you want formal training pay for it, and them by all means shoot competitively for fun and practice. My 2 cents

• Administrator
I know this place in the Nashville area...

...we have a Defensive Pistol June 14-15.

I really want to take this class but I'm not sure I can fit it into the scheme of things for June. Do you know when another will be offered, Todd?

• 6 months later...
Guest Guntrainer

APPS is still in the days of revolvers and dump bags. Whatever training the owner had was while he was a beat cop 25 years ago. I don't know of anyone who needs a "Certified Scuba Diver", or "Bomb Disposal Technician" to train a Private Citizen or Private Protective Security, who has the same powers of arrest as a Private Citizen.:)

I am one of many who agree that active or retired Law Enforcement, when they do not take and keep applicable training fresh and Court Defensible, are not the best trainers for the Armed Citizen. There are legal loopholes that allow them to become Certified Trainers with NO training or experience.:foot:

Well if you have any thoughts, please tell. If not...:)

There is alot of history with James Yeager and Tactical Response on this forum that you're obviously not enlightened to with only 2 posts so that is why BigPoppa said that the way he did.

Himself and some of his instructors were on this forum for awhile and after James incited several arguments for no good reason and was called out on his EXTENSIVE history, he left.

In case you are not familiar with James Yeager (there are 2 sides of course) he is often accused of trying to flee a firefight while several of his men were under heavy fire and subsequently killed. He couldn't get the car in gear, so he hid in a ditch. He later claimed he did what was right and that the other men were killed because they did not follow procedure. :foot:

He returned home and created Tactical Response and has some pretty decent instructors working with him, but he is pretty much a joke to anyone who teaches serious combat techniques.

Several people here have taken classes there, and while some of the instruction is good, I think you could find MANY better places to spend your money and get quality training.

There is alot more to Yeager and if you do a search you can find out why most of us have a VERY low opinion of him.

Well if you have any thoughts, please tell. If not...:foot:

Me personally ? No, no thoughts at all. either way.

However, asking about Tactical Response (and in particular, their head guy) usually has folks coming out of the woodwork.

1/2 will say :shhh::rock::bow: while the other side says :);):cry:

Let's wait and see........................................

Me personally ? No, no thoughts at all. either way.

However, asking about Tactical Response (and in particular, their head guy) usually has folks coming out of the woodwork.

1/2 will say :foot:;):rock: while the other side says :):cry::shhh:

Let's wait and see........................................

I thought I fell somewhere between :rant:and :bow: