XDS

Guest 556or762

Guest 556or762

Well I have asked again at two of the local gun shops but nobody has heard anything on the release of the XDS, anybody got any info?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Victor9er

Seems no one knows. I read somewhere where a Springfield rep had said it was due out in May, but the Springfield website still says "shipping soon" so I guess it could be any time between tomorrow and three or four months from now. Maybe they're having labor issues in Croatia. :shrug:

Sounds like it's going to be a popular gun regardless, even when it ships you may have a hard time getting your hands on one... good luck!

(on a side note everytime I look up info on Springfield I seem to find something else I don't like about them as a company... ah well, to each his own)

Edited by Victor9er

I really wanted this gun but the grip safety is what made me decide to not get it . If it is not depressed correctly , like the other XD's , is may not fire. I had an XD fullsize in 9mm . I loved it but with a one hand grip that was not "exactly correct" the gun would not fire . That is why I got rid of it . There may be times where you need to fire with one hand and it may be an awkward situation , and you may not be able to fire the gun . That is why I stick with Glock and the non grip-safety type guns.

If they would eliminate the grip safety it would be an AWESOME GUN !!

Edited by tercel89
Guest Victor9er

I really wanted this gun but the grip safety is what made me decide to not get it . If it is not depressed correctly , like the other XD's , is may not fire. I had an XD fullsize in 9mm . I loved it but with a one hand grip that was not "exactly correct" the gun would not fire . That is why I got rid of it . There may be times where you need to fire with one hand and it may be an awkward situation , and you may not be able to fire the gun . That is why I stick with Glock and the non grip-safety type guns.

If they would eliminate the grip safety it would be an AWESOME GUN !!

Plus, Glock already has the G36... it's only 0.13" wider than the XDS and it can hold 1 more round, with no grip safety.

Edited by Victor9er

Let me throw something else at you. The Kahr CW45 is about the same size and lighter. Great trigger, I did the mag follower replacement to get 7+1 out of the factory mag. I also have a flush fitting 1911 mag for it.

I'm not the worlds biggest 45 fan but the Kahr CW45 has filled the needs of a slim 45auto for me. It's been flawless with 250rds of factory load fmj. Had some initial problems with cast LSWC but bumping them to max pressure fixed it. The mag follower change cured all the problems with the LSWC so even bunnyfart loads perform.

Edited by Patton
Guest 556or762

Well lets see to the grip safety post, I shoot and carry 1911's a lot and I like em a lot so im used to the grip safety. I have used my XD9 in IDPA shooting one handed and off handed and it works for me but thats why there are different guns they dont all work for everybody. To the Kahr post, I have a Kahr P45 and carry it about 80% of the time if not it I carry a scandium frame 4" 1911, I think the Kahr guns are as good as it gets for small carry guns with big power. I have had 3 Kahr P45's leading up to the all black with night sights I have now and loved them all, the triggers are long but very smooth and with the P45 and P9 the accuracy rivals what I can attain from most other 4" polymer pistols. I know some people will say that the trigger is too long but that is the safety, and that there isnt enough capacity (6+1) you are supposed to use it for defense not a gang war (of course I DO carry an extra mag on my left side and a light in my left front pocket) I think both a great guns but again thats why there are differnt guns they are not going to fit everyone, I think Glocks are great guns but the grip angle messes me up I cant reliably pull a glock and fire accurately I always shoot high because I am used to a 1911 grip angle. I say they are both great guns but buy what fits you best not what someone says you have to have beacuse they are the best gun chances are there is another one out there that may feel better in your hand and if you are comfortable with your gun you shoot better with your gun PERIOD

I never had an issue with the grip safety either. I at first was excited about the XDS but it's news has worn off. I honestly feel so much better armed with a subcompact 9/40 like a G27.

Edited by Patton
Guest bkelm18

Yeah I never really understood the reasoning behind why some people dislike the grip safety. If your hand is on the back strap at all the grip safety will be depressed and the gun will fire. I think people just buy into this myth that unless you have the absolute world's best 100% grip on the gun that it won't fire. Oh well.

Guest Victor9er

they are on gunbroker......ill wait till the prices level out .

Its a cool CCW but I cant help wonder if 5 rounds of 45 was smart

It was fine in the wild west for how long?

It's a .45, all you really need is one right?

:stir:

Hopefully yes but this isnt the thread for that discussion.

I see this selling at most marginally better than the g36. Xds has better ergos (imo), match grade barrel, slimmer, better aestetics, better sights, softer shooting. Glock is a more recognized and established brand name.

I like it for carry when i dont feel like carrying or dressing around a bigger gun. Its better than a 5shot jframe or a 6shot .380acp. And imo better than a 7shot 9mm or a 6 shot .40 pocket auto either.

Guest Victor9er

Hopefully yes but this isnt the thread for that discussion.

I see this selling at most marginally better than the g36. Xds has better ergos (imo), match grade barrel, slimmer, better aestetics, better sights, softer shooting. Glock is a more recognized and established brand name.

I like it for carry when i dont feel like carrying or dressing around a bigger gun. Its better than a 5shot jframe or a 6shot .380acp. And imo better than a 7shot 9mm or a 6 shot .40 pocket auto either.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :lol:

Yeah I think it'll do well at first... shiney new toys usually do. Long term we'll see. Glock enthusiasts will stick with their G36 and XD enthusiasts will opt for this. Aesthetics may be important to some people, for a gun that's going to stay concealed in my holster where no one can see it it's down at the bottom of my list on what's important in a handgun. But I know the XD's have a pretty loyal following, I don't really have anything against the gun itself... I just can't bring myself to give my money to Springfield. But that's another discussion.

I'm not a .45 kind of guy anyway, but lots of people carry 5 and 6 shot revolvers and no one seems to question their choice when they do. I don't see why a 5 or 6 shot semi is any different.

Edited by Victor9er

I'm not a .45 kind of guy anyway, but lots of people carry 5 and 6 shot revolvers and no one seems to question their choice when they do. I don't see why a 5 or 6 shot semi is any different.

After many failed attempts I am not a 45 guy either. Let me throw out there that lots of 5 and 6 shot revolver guys carry lightweight (13-15oz) duarable(reliable under all consitions) guns that are often cheaper than $550+. The two carry revolvers I have are often carried as back up guns or carried with a speedloader in the pocket. My dad has a revolver that the rounds have been stored in it for 10yrs. Would you store a XD for 10yrs and expect the mag to feed in a emergency? People carry revolvers when they want simplicity and people carry autos when they want capacity. Historically 6 rounds is enough for a civilian self defense shooting but when your situation comes do you know how many rounds you will need?

XDS' will sell but I don't think they will break any records. I may even try one myself.

I had a Glock 36, but found it didn't carry any smaller than my Glock 19. Used the same holster for both.

Finally went with M&P Shield which carries better than either Glock. The XDs is about the size of the Shield, so if 45 is your bag, then I say go for it. 5 or six rounds is okay with me. Carried a j-frame for years and didn't worry too much.

Not to worry, someone will no doubt come out with a 30 rd mag for it.

I had a XDm full size in 40, which of course had the grip safety. Never really

liked the idea, but never had a problem with function either. One of those

things you either hate or love.

Edited by Grunt67