Blued vs Stainless Revolver?

Congadulations TN! It came with some leather too right?

Spend some time with it and let is know how it shoots. With a little practice you shout be able to make 100 yard pie plate shots all day.

came with a holster all i need is an ammo belt and a stetson Hat :D i shot it and from 25 yards was demolishing a coke can hanging from a string

Guest 6.8 AR

I wish I'd started collecting revolvers, years ago. I like the two Smiths I have and would be happier if I also had their

partners in blue.

Guest Big-A

May sound crazy but i like blackhawks the best when they have a lil holster wear when the finish is grey but thats how i remember my uncles always liked shooting it to

As Lester Weevils noted, a wipedown with a silicone-impregnated cloth will prevent external rust. Some Wal-Marts carry them (not mine), and you can also get them from gun shops or online. Brownell's has them for $3.49, or $2.73 if you have a FFL. The ones I've used (and liked) are made by Kleen-Bore.

I own both blued and stainless.

The Stainless won't rust as fast and resist wear a little better. Leather holsters don't wear the finish as bad.

But the down side is you really have to clean them good to make them look "clean"

The worst part is the powder ring on the front of the cylinder. I'm to the point now where those "black" rings are just going to have to stay there.

It takes a lot of time and work to make it look new again.

As for blued, holsters seem to eventually wear the blue off to a point. And it will rust "faster"

I don't go crazy and soak the gun in oil either unless I'm going to store it for a year at a time.

If it does rust a little just rub it with "0000" steel wool and oil and move on.

After all you live in South East and it hard to fight the humidity and sweat. Both of witch cause the most rust issues in my experience.

Also, you don't have to worry about the powder "stains" as the blue masks it pretty good.

Edited by TnShooter83
Guest TUNER260

I just purchased a stainless blackhawk in .45 lc/ .45 acp. I love it so far now i just need to find a good belt and holster for it.

Guest Lester Weevils

The worst part is the powder ring on the front of the cylinder. I'm to the point now where those "black" rings are just going to have to stay there.

It takes a lot of time and work to make it look new again.

Thats interesting. Never asked anyone about it, but the "deep" discoloration around the front surface of the cylinder of a S&W stainless snubbie I had, the deep stained part that didn't easily clean off and seemed part of the steel. It had an appearance kinda similar to the case-hardened finish of the trigger and hammer. Had wondered if maybe the heat from escaping gasses was somewhat "case hardening" the front surface of the cylinder. Dunno nothin about metals.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Sooner

The purist in me prefers the blue but the pragmatist prefers stainless. For what it is worrth, I'd go with the blue as it just seems right.

Guest Sooner

I have those same oversize grips on my Blackhawk, really like 'em.

That's a beautiful pistol. Indeed, I am looking for one identical to it. I owned an Interarms Virginia Dragoon 44 Mag years ago and that is the closest pistol I have seen to it in style.

Edited by Sooner

i have Some Gunslick pro Ultra Klenz is that Ok to use on it?

I checked their site and it doesn't say not to use it on blued finishes.

I don't think it would hurt anything. I'd maybe take a grip off and try it on a small area first if it worries you.

Apparently it is non-toxic and has a Cedar smell to it?

I've never used it, I just us a bore brush, brass brush (tooth brush style) and what gun cleaner I have handy.

I mostly use RemOil and CLP.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • 2 weeks later...