Firing Range Rant.....

Disclaimer: I'm not an ass and I don't try to run any range I go.

Today, the rookies and idiots were out at the range! :shake:

First the rookies...

Three young boys, probably 18-19 years old and their pistol grip 12ga. We all call out cold so they could put up a target as they just arrived. Some folks to my left decide to change their target as well. All of the sudden I hear the 12ga blasting away! So I had to scream out to stop them and tell them the cold/hot procedure. :stick: Then I think all is well and we resume shooting. Next thing I know, these same boys are walking down range to change a target without calling out cold! :doh: So I yelled down range again and explained it all in detail and the dangers. Seems they got it this time.

Next up, the guy with an AK47 shows up with 500rds. Soon as I talk to him and ask what cal, etc., and step back toward my AR15, he starts shooting like crazy as fast as he can. This clown shot all the way across the 100 yard range targets from left to right (he was on the left, I was center, my dad was on the right target)! This douche didn't even setup a target before he went fricken Rambo! :mad: I just stood there starring at him boiling, so he proceeded to sit the gun down and go to the left side range to shoot something else. He didn't come back to the 100 yard but did take the AK47 to the closer rage (50yards?).

Last guy, really old fellow. My dad switched to shooting the right side close range (25yrds?). This old guy would not call hot or cold and just would wander right down range and change his targets. I tried to explain to him the cold/hot procedure and he acted like I was trying to run #### and ignored me and kept doing it. So he moved to the left side (50yrds?) and started doing it again. I was shooting my .270 at this point and seen him moving down range in my peripheral vision and halted fire and called him out again in a tactful way. He just got angry and started mumbling off "You guys are big boys" yadda yadda. :ugh:

I don't know how you guys would react to this or feel, but this almost ruined my day. it really made it stressful at times as i was pissed and then I was also having to look out for idiots. :surrender:

I really think I need to find a better place to shoot where all the clowns and rookies can't have the freedom to be stupid! :shake:

The only advice I could give to correct this problem is maybe if they (TWRA/WMA) had a printed out sheet with the rules and safety procedures of the range, and made folks read and sign it before they hand over the 2hr permit. That would be great! :2cents:

Where was the Range Master? I thought those TWRA places kept a person on the range.

It was the:

Cheatham WMA Firing Range and Archery Range

Open 12:00 noon until dark every day. Fee required: Adult (age 16 or older - $5.50 for 2 hours), Youth (under 16 years of age - $1.50 for 2 hours). Must purchase the range entrance ticket from a TWRA license agent. No tickets available at the range. Use or possession of alcoholic beverages prohibited. Contact Randy Cromer (615) 792-4510.

That really sucks. CHMR where I shoot doesn't seem to have a whole lot of yayhoos rolling through. The few I've seen are usually quickly and quietly corrected by either Charlie or other members.

In fact I'd have to say it's kind of the opposite, I think you need to find a new place to shoot.

Seriously, I've shot a lot of places growing up. But I've never seen so many clueless idiots in one place screwing up like this in my life! Why are folks so silly nowadays? Common sense? What happened? :shake:

Yes, I like Stones River. But my dad doesn't. He's used to the freedom of shooting all day at my uncles farm, so that much structure gets on his nerves. I'll deal with the structure as long as someone is in place to keep the rookies and clowns from screwing up my day! :shrug:

You're in the 'boro and went all the way to Cheatham WMA? Definitiely try Stones River and CHMR. Both are closer and much better organized. More yahoos at Stones River than at CHMR, but there are usually plenty of RSOs keeping an eye on them.

<<edit>>

I see you know SRHEC. Try CHMR.

Edited by monkeylizard

You're in the 'boro and went all the way to Cheatham WMA? Definitiely try Stones River and CHMR. Both are closer and much better organized. More yahoos at Stones River than at CHMR, but there are usually plenty of RSOs keeping an eye on them.

<<edit>>

I see you know SRHEC. Try CHMR.

Got a link to CHMR? I have never heard of it. :)

You summed up exactly why I don't go to that range anymore. I'd much rather be annoyed by highly enforced tight range rules at Stones River than have to worry about getting shot by an idiot at the Cheatham range.

I know how you feel. This used to drive me crazy. You have to have rules but I also enjoy a bit of freedom. I don't want some overachieving RO down my neck the whole time. Not that all ROs are but some are. Yet, we can't have some yahoo wandering down the range while it's hot.

You'd think gun owners who are all about rights, small gov't and anti nanny state could manage to self police themselves so this wouldn't be an issue. I've been a member at Gallatin Gun Club for 3 mos now. Short of owning my own lower 40 and shooting out my back door, which I don't and can't, it's been awesome. There's been afternoons I've had the whole place to myself. Sunday was quite a few people there. It was as smooth as silk. Everyone respected everyone. Every time I've been there with quite a few people it's been smooth and I've met a new friend.

I reload and since I didn't get into AR15 until about two months ago I frequented indoor ranges exclusively. I got so tired of someone busting thru the door jumping me for picking up my brass and telling me once it hit the floor it was theirs. On three occasions at GCC, once for .223 and twice for .45acp, someone has come up to me and gave me their brass because they didn't reload and they noticed I picked mine up.

I would have been tickled if someone left it on the ground and I picked it up after they left. To gather it for me and hand it to me was very nice I thought. I've started keeping a little cooler with some Cokes, Dr Pepper and bottled water for these nice people.

Any GCC members who might read this, I 'preciate ya!

Brad

I use Terry Walden's place on 16 Model Rd, Manchester. Take the 105 exit, go right, turn right less than a mile on 16 Model,and look for his sign on the right. Usually meet someone from the 'boro coming or going when I visit. All of them tell me they would rather come there then go local. Rifle range has 300 yds Rules are common sense by everyone and it's rarely crowded. Cost is $5 for all day.

Edited by RoadKill

Simple solution to the .223 brass issue.. get a brass catcher...

I was referring to other nice people giving me their .223 brass. I can't put a catcher on their guns. LOL! They probably saw me picking up my brass from my 1911. When I shoot my AR, I put my case on my right and prop it open 90 degrees and my brass falls right on the eggshell. Which was probably a dead giveaway that I was saving it to reload.

Brad

I use Terry Walden's place on 16 Model Rd, Manchester. Take the 105 exit, go right, turn right less than a mile on 16 Model,and look for his sign on the right. Usually meet someone from the 'boro coming or going when I visit. All of them tell me they would rather come there then go local. Rifle range has 300 yds Rules are common sense by everyone and it's rarely crowded. Cost is $5 for all day.

Now the sercet is out, only range I know w/o range restrictions