Building a Shooting range

Ok I have some land and it has a natural swag in it that will allow me with very little grade work to provide a 150 yd range. It will have at minimum of a 30 foot berm in a horseshoe shape around the full shooting area. I can safely set up 12 shooting stations. It is on a back road and can and will be gated easily. There is plenty of parking to the right Or one can drive down to the firing line. The firing line to targets will be on a slight incline. ( I may level this down If i can keep the dozer long enough)

Ok now what Id like is some thoughts on what to do and or look for as I start this project.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well even if you make everyone who shoots out there sign a hold-harmless / liability waver, you are still going to want to carry plenty of insurance just in case (God forbid) someone gets injured or even possibly killed on your property.

Private use as in public "Membership w/ fee" private or "Friends and family" private??

Are you going to make this a buisness or accept cash for usage or allow those of you choice free shooting??

A "buisness" changes things vs. just letting your buddies come out and shoot.....

Private or membership at this is not a concern. Im just looking for info on building it and tips.

As for the legal stuff, Going to a pay system at this time will not matter. As it will be down the road. Plus county to county in TN vary for the laws.

I just want to build and set it up right the first time.

I am looking at building benches and to have those covered for sun and light rain.

I am looking to run both hand guns and rifles from the one and only firing-line

I look to start with gravel on the firing line.Then go to concrete

After re looking the land over today I may only go 8 or 10 lanes with one or 2 open for the prone position.

Edited by JeffsSig

Sounds like a cool idea. I'd draw it out to scale and lay out where everything will be before doing much physical work. If you're thinking of IDPA, steel challenge, and/or 3 gun type stuff... some planning should help considerably.

Guest nowheretobefound

Jeff,

About three years ago I had several people wanting me to build a range and training center on my property. After looking into all aspects it really was not going to be that much work or cost but some of the requirements made me stop and really think weather I really wanted to commit myself. Restrooms, hard line telephone, parking, access road were a few of the requirements that finally helped me decide to forego it.

My situation is I travel some for the DoD and private security companies to give training, I do some evaluations for firearms manufactures and I'm in a special ops mentoring program that works with younger soldiers. Plus (and a big part of it all) I ended up not wanting to "change" any part of my property. So what I ended up doing, from basic beginner to very advanced are one on one or very small group sessions fitted to my calendar. Looking back I'm very happy with the decision I made.

I realize your purpose and wants are probably very different but I just wanted to give you another perspective.