Passengers with HCP and car gets pulled over

Guest MrsS

Guest MrsS

I & my husband know that it is courteous to inform any LEO's during a stop that we have our HCP and we have a firearm....

my question is this: what should the passenger/other riders do if they also have an HCP and is armed?

my father in law, husband's uncles and cousins also have HCP's and sometimes 3 or 4 of us will be in one vehicle and all of us are armed. Thanks.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Old goat

If I were a passenger, if I were not asked I would not say a word. I mean if I'm walking down the street and pass a cop, I'm not going call him over and say " I just thought you would like to know I have a HCP and I am armed".

Guest MrsS
Now, that there's a Foxworthy joke, living and breathing... :tinfoil:

I'm pretty proud of y'all...

Forgive me for asking this....but this is in reference to my thread, right? I know who Foxworthy is, but enlighten this darn yankee as to how my thread is in reference to a joke of his...LOL.

Guest MrsS
If I were a passenger, if I were not asked I would not say a word. I mean if I'm walking down the street and pass a cop, I'm not going call him over and say " I just thought you would like to know I have a HCP and I am armed".

I don't advertise that I carry....but there is always an off chance that I may be asked to present my ID...since my DL is the same as my HCP (numbers)...I may get a LEO with a chip on his shoulder or nervous (I know the risks they get themselves into on the job) and was wondering if the passengers should avoid any headaches by alerting LEO's from the beginning that we are armed...or just wait and see if we will be asked.

Forgive me for asking this....but this is in reference to my thread, right? I know who Foxworthy is, but enlighten this darn yankee as to how my thread is in reference to a joke of his...LOL.

I'm pretty sure no offence was intended, it was a reference to the fact that only in the south IE "redneck" would you find 4 peoople in the same car all armed and carrying. If you think about it it's pretty funny and cool at the same time.

Guest MrsS
I'm pretty sure no offence was intended, it was a reference to the fact that only in the south IE "redneck" would you find 4 peoople in the same car all armed and carrying. If you think about it it's pretty funny and cool at the same time.

The reason why more than one of us may be armed in the same vehicle is because we usually meet up/get picked up from different places(work, etc); my husband's family (I'm just married into the southern clan) who all carry HCP range in age from the late 20's to just a wee bit shy of 70.

Guest Steelharp

Absolutely NO offense was intended, and I'm glad your husband could help with my sense of humor... you go, girl!

Guest Old goat

Trying to stir the pot a bit?

You asked for opinions, I gave mine. I defined it by saying "if I were not asked". If I were driving, I would tell up front, just to be polite, If I were asked as a passenger, I would tell him/her. Its just a thought but if there are 4 or 5 adults in the vehicle and the driver hands over hcp (when asked or before), the cop just might say "anyone else in this vehicle armed?".

I'm the one person here that always says volunteer the information.. but this is the one time I think, if I were a passenger and my gun is concealed where there is no bulge or anything... I'd keep my mouth shut and hands away from it in plain sight. Now if the officer address's you(the passenger) I would then volunteer the information. But you tell a cop on the side of the road that all 4 of you are armed.. he's calling for help.

IMHO.

Trying to stir the pot a bit?

You asked for opinions, I gave mine. I defined it by saying "if I were not asked". If I were driving, I would tell up front, just to be polite, If I were asked as a passenger, I would tell him/her. Its just a thought but if there are 4 or 5 adults in the vehicle and the driver hands over hcp (when asked or before), the cop just might say "anyone else in this vehicle armed?".

NAGH... THEY WILL JUST ASK UP FRONT IF ANY WEAPONS ARE IN THE VEHICLE.

If I was a passenger in a vehicle that had been pulled over and the cop asked if there were any weapons in the car I would speak up. It is very possible that the driver may not know I am armed and that driver may well not have a permit and be into guns.

So if the cops specifically asks I will speak up, Other than that I am just a passenger and am not the reason we were pulled over.

Right or wrong, I've always met the LEO at the back of the car with my driver's license and permit out and ready to hand over. I'll leave the weapon in the car (and advise the LEO) when I do this. Some LEOs may not like this but I've never had a problem. Actually, it has kept me from getting a few tickets, I believe.

Guest Verbal Kint

my father in law, husband's uncles and cousins also have HCP's and sometimes 3 or 4 of us will be in one vehicle and all of us are armed. Thanks.

Inform him that he's out-gunned and needs to let you go. :tinfoil:

:screwy:

Guest Steelharp
Right or wrong, I've always met the LEO at the back of the car with my driver's license and permit out and ready to hand over. I'll leave the weapon in the car (and advise the LEO) when I do this. Some LEOs may not like this but I've never had a problem. Actually, it has kept me from getting a few tickets, I believe.

You've actually opened the door, and stepped out as an officer has pulled you over and not been yelled at to "remain in your vehicle!" and/or drawn on?

You, my friend, should definitely buy a lottery ticket...

this is actually the worst thing you can do. It puts the officer on guard immediately. It also makes him wonder what your hiding in the car. Usually people that are under the influence of something or smuggling/hiding use this tactic to keep the officer away from the drivers compartment of the car. Its a major officer safety violation as well... so far you have been lucky.

I've always met the LEO at the back of the car with my driver's license and permit out and ready to hand over

Did this ONE TIME about 30 years ago. First time I had ever been pulled over as a driver. Cop pulled on me and screamed get back in the car. I did as he ordered and have never thought to get out of the car again.

Guest nraforlife

Keep quite unless asked. Kind of like telling a father you have been sleeping with his daughter versus his asking you.

Guest Boomhower
I'm the one person here that always says volunteer the information.. but this is the one time I think, if I were a passenger and my gun is concealed where there is no bulge or anything... I'd keep my mouth shut and hands away from it in plain sight. Now if the officer address's you(the passenger) I would then volunteer the information. But you tell a cop on the side of the road that all 4 of you are armed.. he's calling for help.

I'd say your right, and as Mike said, the passenger is not the reason for the traffic stop. The only reason any passengers should be brought into the situation is if the officier has reason to believe something is a little fishy. (read into that as you wish)

The family that carries together has fun!:D

or......A family that carries together, will make it home together. :D

Wow. This a COPS show beat down waiting to happen. I hope you don't travel outside of the state much, or your own county for that matter. I'm surprised to even hear that the Memphis PD's allow it without so much as even a word of discouragement in case of a next time.

You, my friend, should definitely buy a lottery ticket...

I agree. Wanna go in together and have him buy a bunch for the next powerball?

Did this ONE TIME about 30 years ago. First time I had ever been pulled over as a driver. Cop pulled on me and screamed get back in the car. I did as he ordered and have never thought to get out of the car again.

Did you stain your shorts. I proly woulda.

Edited by Boomhower

Believe it or not.... Never had a problem. I've had the LEO have his hand on his weapon and once ask why I got out of the car. I replied that my firearm was in the car and I thought he might prefer meeting around back or in his car. He smiled, asked me why I carried, advised me how they just changed the speed limit in that area, and told me to have a good day. I have been traveling in about a 150 mile radius around Memphis for almost 10 years and no problem yet. Thanks for the advice about the officer's safety violation, wasn't aware of that.

I am sure there will be times that four of us will be in the same car and carrying. My husband, myself, my daughter Natosha and her husband Freddy because we do travel together sometimes. I guess we will be another armed redneck family :D but anyway on to the question. If I am driving I will let an officer know that I have a HCP and am armed but if I am a passenger then I have no reason to unless asked.