Totally new to guns and I have a few questions.

Jesse

I shot a shotgun about 10 times when i was 15 and thats all I know about guns lol. now 17 years later I have a wife and kid and I'm going to buy a shotgun for home defense. I been thinking about the Mossberg 500A with the pistol grip. What do you guys think about that gun?

Also I'm going to need a gun range to practice but I need to know about the laws first. Basically what are the laws for owning a shotgun, can you take them out on your own yard? Can shotguns be transported in your car in TN with no permits? When going to a gun range must the shotgun be in a carrying case? I don't want to look like I'm about to rob the place or anything. Thanks if you can give me some info.

My suggestions on the gun would be this. If you are refering to the pistol grip only, I would highly advise against it. It is very very hard to be accurate with a pistol grip only. Buy a pistol grip/shoulder stock combo. More control, better accuracy, more comfort. A shotgun isn't m as point and shoot as its made out to be. You still need to practice and pattern different loads to learn what works best for you. For carrying, your allowed to carry an unloaded long gun in the car with no case. Just make sure the ammo is seperated. Like shotgun in the trunk, ammo in the glove box, something like that. Anyways, welcome to the addiction of gun ownership, I hope you get the answers your needing here.

Edited by Spots

Shotguns with defensive loads (buck shot) have lots of recoil. Pistol grips are hard to handle with that much recoil. You may want to consider a real stock. Not a huge deal. You can always change it.

Some ranges, like Stones River, will only let you shoot slugs.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest bkelm18

Forget the pistol grip. It ain't like the movies. The recoil will be harsh and aiming will be tough. Get a regular stock. Or go for a regular stock that also has a pistol grip on it as well.

No permits are required and you can shoot it on your own land if you desire. When transporting, if you do not have a handgun carry permit, keep the gun and ammo as separate as possible. Such as the gun in the trunk and the ammo up front or vise versa.

Guest Victor9er

I don't know if I would use a shot gun if the wife and kids may be close by ???

+1

I don't like that shotguns scatter. I guess it depends on your house and how close you think you would be if you ever need to use it, but with wife and kids I'd be afraid of a stray hitting someone I wasn't aiming for. A longer barrel won't scatter too much, but it's going to be hard to manuver inside of a house with a long barrel. A shorter barrel is better for inside, but it will scatter more than a longer barrel will.

Also, you have to consider where you are going to keep it, especially with kids running around. Are you going to keep it locked up? If so where? And how will you be able to access it quickly if you ever do need it? A gun safe is good for keeping it out of your kids' hands, but can you get to it when you really need it?

Why not a handgun if all you want it for is home protection? It's smaller, much easier to manuver while you're inside your house, and you can find some small, quick access safes to store it in that you can keep by your bedside. You don't need a permit just to have one in your house, only if you decide to carry it.

Some ranges have restrictions on shotguns as far as what's allowed and what's not. Handguns for the most part are good to go no matter what range you go to.

Edited by Victor9er

Also, the Mossberg 500 & Maverick 88 as well as the venerable Remington 870 are all good choices for this type of role. Pretty reliable, fairly inexpensive to own and train with, and almost completely modular when it comes to accessories.

I think shotguns make excellent SD weapons. They take far less expertise to employ and are better fight stoppers.

However, triple-ought buck shot (which many consider THE best choice) will overpenetrate worse than JHP handgun or .223 bullets. I saw a demo on the Sportsman Channel where one of the .30 cal projectiles from a .000 buckshot shell from a 12 gauge went through 2 interior walls and exited the house (not brick of course).

I don't like the place, but On Target in M'boro allows you to shoot shotguns on their indoor range. Too many variables (zoning, city limits, local ordinances, proximity of neighbors, etc.) to say whether you can shoot in your back yard.

One other thing...I can't stress enough how right these guys are about the pistol grip. To make matters worse, the Mossberg 500A is the worse possible choice if you're considering a pistol grip (even if it has a stock).

Notice where they put the slide release!? Try hitting that release with a pistol grip installed. You have to contort your hand/wrist around very awkwardly to reach it. It works fine with a standard stock, so consider a collapsible instead and skip the pistol grip altogether, if you're going with a Mossberg.

+1

I don't like that shotguns scatter. I guess it depends on your house and how close you think you would be if you ever need to use it, but with wife and kids I'd be afraid of a stray hitting someone I wasn't aiming for. A longer barrel won't scatter too much, but it's going to be hard to manuver inside of a house with a long barrel. A shorter barrel is better for inside, but it will scatter more than a longer barrel will.

Also, you have to consider where you are going to keep it, especially with kids running around. Are you going to keep it locked up? If so where? And how will you be able to access it quickly if you ever do need it? A gun safe is good for keeping it out of your kids' hands, but can you get to it when you really need it?

Why not a handgun if all you want it for is home protection? It's smaller, much easier to manuver while you're inside your house, and you can find some small, quick access safes to store it in that you can keep by your bedside. You don't need a permit just to have one in your house, only if you decide to carry it.

Some ranges have restrictions on shotguns as far as what's allowed and what's not. Handguns for the most part are good to go no matter what range you go to.

They don't "spray" stuff everywhere. At distances inside a house, the patterns are very tight (a few inches). You use a shotgun to deliver a heavy payload, not to kill everybody in the room with one shot.

Guest bkelm18

They don't "spray" stuff everywhere. At distances inside a house, the patterns are very tight (a few inches). You use a shotgun to deliver a heavy payload, not to kill everybody in the room with one shot.

Yep. Pattern will be very small. If you can't hit the bad guy with your shot, don't pull the trigger. That applies to all guns. Handgun rounds will sail through walls just as easily.

It really depends on the layout of the house. As far as the shot spreading, from my testing and patterning, even at what would be long range self defense ranges of 20-30 yds 00 buck did not spread enough to worry about a wide spray pattern out of my 500 with a 18.5 barrel and IC choke. My personal opinon, there is no fight stopper in the world like a short barrelled shotgun loaded with reduceded recoil 00 buckshot. A handgun is to give me a fighting chance at getting to a long gun, not a primary self defense weapon given any other choice.

• Like 1
Guest Victor9er

I didn't say they "spray everywhere" I said they scatter. And I also said it depends on the distance as well. And the barrel length. There are variables involved like with anything. A glancing blow to an intruder's shoulder for instance, the layout of the person's house, etc. Some people like them for self defense. They are certainly intimidating especially with that loud "ka-chunk" that we all know and love from a pump-action. But I'm not a fan of them for the reasons I mentioned above. I prefer a handgun for home protection. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, easier to store, only one bullet to keep track of each time you pull the trigger... To each his own.

Edited by Victor9er

I didn't say they "spray everywhere" I said they scatter. And I also said it depends on the distance as well. And the barrel length. There are variables involved like with anything. A glancing blow to an intruder's shoulder for instance, the layout of the person's house, etc. Some people like them for self defense. They are certainly intimidating especially with that loud "ka-chunk" that we all know and love from a pump-action. But I'm not a fan of them for the reasons I mentioned above. I prefer a handgun for home protection. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, easier to store, only one bullet to keep track of each time you pull the trigger... To each his own.

Didn't mean to step on your tail :pleased: . Some folks have this vision of an 18" pattern at 6 feet. It's closer to a 1000 caliber bullet with big teeth. My 870 stays in the safe. I usually just keep a pistol or two out for defense. With that said, you stand a better chance of hitting your target with a shotgun under stress. Not because of the pattern, but because it's a long gun.

Meh the ka-chunk thing is overrated. I prefer not to give any potential threat a loud audible signal to zero in on. Mine stays loaded with one in the chamber and safety on. Like you said, everyone has their own opinon on what works best for them.

Edited by Spots
Guest Victor9er

Didn't mean to step on your tail :pleased: . Some folks have this vision of an 18" pattern at 6 feet. It's closer to a 1000 caliber bullet with big teeth. My 870 stays in the safe. I usually just keep a pistol or two out for defense. With that said, you stand a better chance of hitting your target with a shotgun under stress. Not because of the pattern, but because it's a long gun.

I understand your point, but again, with a kid in the house he needs to consider where and how he's going to keep it stored. A shotgun that you can't get to does you no good. To me long guns are meant for mid to long range engagements. (of course shotguns are not a long-range type of weapon...) Handguns are for short to mid range. Inside of a house you're dealing with short to mid range distances. Then there's the issue of manuverability in tight quarters as well.

That's not to say you can't use a long gun for home defense, just that you need to consider the pros and cons to decide what's best for you. Really that's the point I'm trying to make, to help the OP weigh his options and ask himself why he want's a shotgun and is it the best choice for him?

:)

Edited by Victor9er

I understand your point, but again, with a kid in the house he needs to consider where and how he's going to keep it stored. A shotgun that you can't get to does you no good. To me long guns are meant for mid to long range engagements. Handguns are for short to mid range. Inside of a house you're dealing with short to mid range distances. Then there's the issue of manuverability in tight quarters as well.

That's not to say you can't use a long gun for home defense, just that you need to consider the pros and cons to decide what's best for you. Really that's the point I'm trying to make, to help the OP weigh his options and ask himself why he want's a shotgun and is it the best choice for him?

:)

Sure. Lots of pros and cons, especially with kids in the house. I don't have any of those. Like I said, the 870 usually lives in the safe. Honestly, when the hair is up on the back of my neck, I pop a mag in one of my AR's and stand it in the corner. I'm better with them than a shotgun. We're just talking a lot more money.

Guest nysos

I would look at the remington 870 over the mossberg if you want a pistol grip or pistol grip w/ stock (tactical versions). If I recall, the safety on the mossberg 500's is on the top, meant to be removed via thumb with a normal grip. With a pistol grip you can't access the safety with your hand staying on the grip easily. The 870 if I recall has a safety mounted on the trigger guard that can be manipulated with your index finger easily with either a traditional grip or a pistol grip.

I believe everyone else has already covered most of your other points.

Thanks everyone for your replys! Yes the shotgun I was looking into has the stock plus the pistol grip. My house isnt that big of a house and my kids room is right beside ours. So It worries me anyone returning fire at me will also be sending the bullets toward my childs room. If somone broke in my house with a gun all they have to do is walk down a 10 foot hallway and be right on any of us. So I figured a blast from a shotgun would incourage them to get the hell out if I missed. I plan on keeping it in a keyless shotgun safe mounted on the wall in my bedroom.

What size barrel would you guys reccomend , the Mossberg I looked at has an 18" barrel.