WOLF Ammo

Guest Rupertus

Guest Rupertus

Does this stuff suck?

I want to buy decent practice ammo in bulk but don't won't to buy a bulk load of poo!

.45, .40, 9mm

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife

Doesn't suck, just REAL dirty. My 45 would smoke like a locomotive when I shot this brand. Ran some through my 40c ok but still real dirty.

Guest Rupertus

I was worried that being cheap may have more severe drawbacks. Since it would be for practice, I was mainly concerned that buying any cheap ammo might hurt the gun...what about gun shop reloads, would you trust them? Reloaders Bench in Mt. Juliet has some reloads I was wondering about.

Guest price g

While I can not comment on their handgun ammo, I can say without a doubt, their rifle ammo is quality ammo. I have put thousands of rounds through all my rifles with it. For shooting paper it is fine. One rifle has over ten thousand through it and is still operating with the orignal extractor and bolt. Go figure

Guest jcoyle6

I purchased a case of their steel cased .45 ammo a year ago but the rounds were about a hair too long and I couldn't fit more than 3 of them in any of my factory sig mags. The tolerances in my factory mags are very tight, but the ammo had no problem in any of my friend's .45s (XD or 1911). I think my issue was the sig mags and nothing more

Guest jackdog

I've used wolf ammo in my Glocks S&W 40's as well as 45Cal and 9mm. To me it is no dirtier than white box winjchester from wally world. Never have had a problem with my fire arms, They all clean up easily after range time. Thew steel case has never been an issue either. . have shot probably over 4000 rounds of wolf thru Glocks Kel tECs CZ rock island never an issue.:drool:

I've never run any through my stuff, not because I'm afraid to, just havent.

The only issues I've ever heard of have been from AR owners. Some claim the laquer coating on the steel cased wolf melts off of the casing and causes issues. Again, I've never had any of these issues myself, just read about them from other users on other message boards.

Then again, I've got an "economically savvy" (::cough:: CHEAP! ::cough::hyper: co-worker who feeds Wolf to his Bushmaster all day long and it continues to eat the stuff up by the hundreds with no problems.

The only jam I have ever had in my 1971 vintage AR15 SP1 was due to the coating on Wolf ammo fouling the guns chamber, I know other people who have no problems with it at all. Try it in your gun and see how it works for you. Wolf is all I shoot in my AK and it has never failed.

The only jam I have ever had in my 1971 vintage AR15 SP1 was due to the coating on Wolf ammo fouling the guns chamber, I know other people who have no problems with it at all. Try it in your gun and see how it works for you. Wolf is all I shoot in my AK and it has never failed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my AK will eat ANYTHING. When I bought it I was given several thousand rounds of Norinco ammo that my rifle just loves to eat. It may be dirty but it doesnt care.

Guest Grout

There was a thread on ar15.com a few years ago about Wolf ammo.It was very funny.Wolf ammo caused everything from global warming to babies being born naked.

Guest ui_cleirigh

For my SKS, that's all I bought. Of course, its an SKS. I have never had major problems with Wolf. For the 9mm, I will normally buy the Winchester "white box" at Walmart. In Johnson City a box of 100 is running about $20. But I have, in the past, used wolf because there are some sweet bulk buys on the net.

Guest bkelm18

Just to dispel the misconception, Wolf no longer uses the lacquer coating on it's rounds. The lacquer coating is what would melt in the chamber and cause jamming issues. They now use a polymer coating that won't jam your weapon. Although I believe their "Military Classic" line still uses the lacquer, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, to answer the original question, I will use Wolf in any of my weapons. Have used it almost exclusively in my AR and my AK and have never had so much as a hiccup out of either.

Guest Rupertus

Thanks for the input...looks like I'll be trying some Wolf, I haven't found anything else that really compares for the cost. Anybody got any other suggestions for cheap ammo?

I've used Wolf 62gr in my AR, I haven't cleaned it since my last visit to the range last year some time and the previous visits to the range as well, it still goes bang.. might be a little dirty, but nothing that can't be cleaned with some CLP and a rag. Or with shaving cream, tooth brush, and steamy hot water..

Guest Steelharp

I've never used Wolf that didn't jam. That, or one round would go "poof," then the next would be so overcharged it would sunburn your face. Lousy, as far as I'm concerned.

Guest ui_cleirigh
if anyone cares I know some ranges (coal creek) don't allow steel cased ammo

I can understand the corrosive nature of the cases but is it a huge problem of people not cleaning up their leavings? I'm just curious because my cheap 9mm is steel cased and I don't want to catch any flak if its not permitted.

Just to dispel the misconception, Wolf no longer uses the lacquer coating on it's rounds. The lacquer coating is what would melt in the chamber and cause jamming issues. They now use a polymer coating that won't jam your weapon. Although I believe their "Military Classic" line still uses the lacquer, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, to answer the original question, I will use Wolf in any of my weapons. Have used it almost exclusively in my AR and my AK and have never had so much as a hiccup out of either.

Yeah that's about right. It's easy to tell though, the lacquer stuff tends to have a green case and a light purple (lacquer) coating. The polymer tends to have a grey case and no visible coating.

BTW it's good stuff. I used it in my 5.56 AR and it did leave some purple spots from the lacquer, but never had any malfunctions.

I would say because they take the brass to the scales and get cash back for it.With the price of brass right now Id say there making a small fortune on left over casings.

If there was steal mixed in with it they would either have to pick it out by hand,or get less money from mixed metals