Home protection handgun

Guest racr28

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take your $500 and buy two used service revolvers that are equally as functional as the XD-but can be used by anyone in a pinch.

Ruger or S&W 4in 38sp or 357 mag will do just fine. Plus they are used-they are already fully depreciated and will not loose any value. They should appreciate 6 to 10 percent a year. So you will get protection and an investment.

The xd is just passion for firearms.

If you have a source for Ruger or Smith 38s and .357s at $250 out the door I want to know about it. Even a sort of crappy Model 10 is around $300. And a customer just got finished transferring a Security Six through me and he said he paid $385, without the transfer fee.

I really have no experience with revovler. I have shot 1000's of rounds from M9's; but, I am open to the idea of a revolver. I small children and would keep the weapon locked up next to the bed. The shotgun would need a gunsafe, but a pistol can have a small lock box; otherwise, a shotgun would be the perfect answer.

racr28

Check out a GP 100. The S&W and Colt guns are great too, but you will spend more $. Buy a pistol safe for $60 at wal mart and bolt it to the back of the headboard of your bed. Can unlock it with a fingerprint, combination, or key.

If you are thinking about CC or a car gun...look at the Ruger SP101 or an Airweight .357 S&W. Simpler is better and unless you plan on shooting the snot out of it...a revolver will serve you well.

That think would probably kick like a mule, but it sure would put a hurtin on anything you point at....get some Russian Brown Bear with #4 Buck

Actually they don't kick bad. I've got one and it's great for it's "intended" purpose (IE close range destruction).

If you have a source for Ruger or Smith 38s and .357s at $250 out the door I want to know about it. Even a sort of crappy Model 10 is around $300. And a customer just got finished transferring a Security Six through me and he said he paid $385, without the transfer fee.

Sorry-there I go again livin in the past.

I was thinking of the days when a S&W Model 10 Cop Gun (Trade-In) was $175 or $200.

I do think that used Cop guns are the best value for home defense whether it is a revolver or self loader (5906, 4006, Sigma, etc.)

Guest titanwolf
I am thinking of buying a handgun for home protection. I am thinking of a Springfield Armory XD-45. Any other suggestions. I would like to keep it under $500.

racr28

I paid $520 our the door for mine

XD. 45 OD Green

Guest ColdSteel

Mossberg 500 Persuader w/pistol grip is perfect for home defense. Pull the plug and load that murf with some #4 buckshot

I really have no experience with revolvers. I have shot 1000's of rounds from M9's; but, I am open to the idea of a revolver. I small children and would keep the weapon locked up next to the bed. The shotgun would need a gunsafe, but a pistol can have a small lock box; otherwise, a shotgun would be the perfect answer.

racr28

If you and your wife are both familiar enough to load and use a semi auto under stress that’s great. If you aren’t you can’t beat a full size .357mag revolver. (S&W 686; probably the #1 home defense handgun choice in the country).

Any weapon that is locked away is not a home defense weapon; it is just another gun that you can’t get to when you need it.

I'd be hard pressed to think of a worse choice. Maybe a Lorcin in .32 or something....

Do you not like the Mossberg or the shot?

a pistol grip only shotgun will be very harsh on recoil also a shotgun will be much more unweildly than a pistol

Yup.

Shotguns need a shoulder stock. They suck as ECQ weapons and are at their best as barrier weapons. And I really think a 20ga works just fine.

Guest darkstar

I'd say get a Sig 226 or 229, but then I remembered you want to keep it under $500...so good luck finding a used one for that, though you may be able to find a CPO (certified pre-owned) for $100 or so more. Thet are great guns 1 shot DA then SA after. Barring that you can get a good revolver for $500 or less....I'd go with what others have reccomended .357/.38

Guest GLOCK2340

I have an XD 45 tactical and use it as a home defense gun. Loaded with Hornaday TAP, mepro night sights, and an off-brand rail light.... I really like for its purpose. I think I paid like $540 for it, can't remember exactly, but then I got the night sights later. Its a good reliable choice, after you break it in. Let us know what you decide on, and happy shopping!:(

Guest racr28

The P6 sounds interesting; but, still unsure about the stopping power of the 9mm round. I can get XD 45's locally for around $500 out the door. That may be too much gun for her. Anyone no of any ranges in the Nashville area that rent guns. That way she can get a feel for what she likes.

racr28

Well just look at my icon. lol, go to the gunshow and find you a Ruger security six or a police servic six. Now you get a hogue monogrip and your set. I bought mine several years back for about 250.00 saw a few at the show in the 300.00 to 350.00 range. easy to load not bad on recoil with defense loads even. 38's feel like a .22. thats my 2 cents anyways daddy loves his ruger.

Guest darkstar

Your gonna get 1,000 arguments for and against 9mm. In my opinion 9mm is perfectly fine. With the updates in technology in the past few years the 9mm hollow points today are very dependable. The benefits of the 9 are: Higher capacity (though not in a P6), lower recoil which will allow for faster follow up shots, not nearly as much muzzle blast which can be a factor in a dark situation. Sure .40 and .45 and .357 are great defensive rounds and I would reccomend them all highly, but if you are worried about a larger caliber for your wife a 9 would be a good choice. I often carry a 9mm and do not feel under-gunned. But you need to decide, get the caliber you (both) shoot the best, most places will have rental guns you can try out. Your wife may be perfectly OK with .45

EDIT: ASP in Joelton rents all sorts of guns

a pistol grip only shotgun will be very harsh on recoil also a shotgun will be much more unweildly than a pistol

They are harsh on recoil compared to a 9mm yes but not so bad as to make them useless in a HD situation.

Im using a Moss 500 12g with the stock removed as of right now and have no problems whatsoever on handling it because of recoil.

The only draw back of using a pistol grip shotgun,or any shotgun in a HD situation is your follow up shots.Now I guess you could get an autoloader and nip that problem in the butt..