Conisdering opening a business (Civil War era guns). Your thoughts?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Mods, if this is in the wrong area, please move.

I will be moving to the Chattanooga area within the next 60 days (Hopefully more like 30). Im fully retired but still fairly young (49) and you can only shoot, fish, play golf and shop so much. So, I am considering opening a shop in the Chattanooga area by the end of the year. Here is what I am looking at, havent gone into much detail on research yet so these are the basics.

My initial investment, not counting storefront, will be $15-$20,000.

I intend on carrying repro Civil War firearms, uniforms and accoutrements. After a while, if I see any success, I will begin carrying actual Civil War weapons, Springfields, Enfields, Harpers Ferry rifles, etc. I have connections for these guns but a 15-20,000 budget doesnt allow for it initially unless I want a shop opening with 10 guns.

I would also be going to as many re-enactments as possible and setting up in the Suttlers areas.

Would also deal on Gunbroker, annd other areas online.

Its hard to determine if there is a real "need" for this in the area, but being a Civil War buff and amatuer historian now for the better part of 40 years, I have been to just about every Civil War battlefield in the country from Texas to Pa, one thing a lot of them have in common is these types of stores. Maybe I just missed it, but I havent seen one in the area I am interested in. With Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain and surrounding areas, I feel something like this would be worthwhile. Go into the Shenendoah Valley, up to Gettysburg, down into MD and these stores are all over, and stay busy. And even in towns where there arent, usually the regular gun shops and Pawn and Guns will have from several to many Civil War era guns.

I wouldnt be carrying any modern black powder guns, havent researched it as far as TN goes, but down in MS, you cant give them away.

So, what do you all think of this idea? How do you think it would come across in the Chattanooga area, if I were able to get a storefront near the Battlefields, maybe even in Rossville, Ga.

What other ideas do you have?

As far as business, I have some background, I did serve 23 years in the Army, but after retirement I was also a GM for two major corporations, owned 3 successful computer business and was a Sub Contractor for Dell Computers plus I have a Business Degree from U. Of CO. Not trying to build myself up, but thinking I do know at least enough not to get myself in a bind by opening something thats not wanted or needed.

Let me know what you all think.

J

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have a niche market, so if the goal is profits, in this economy --- well, people are not lineing up to buy wallhangers right now. Not trying to be down on the idea, just a thought.

If the goal is to enjoy your hobby with money on the side, that is another story.

A lot of the people that do this sort of thing carry not only the guns but other items such as field gear, pictures, postcards, and whatnots. Lots of collectors of the non-firearm items too, and that rounds out the business, attracts more customers. Plenty of CW tourism in this area and chattanooga is central to everything.

If the yearly CW gunshow is any indication, there are a lot of people doing the same thing.

Modern BP guns (hunters, mostly) are of little interest (the ppl that use them have a gun already). But components for the various guns (bullets, powder, caps) might sell some. Also replica guns are moderately popular, and a few of those might sell. I wouldnt fill the store with them but either have the ability to order them or have just a couple on hand might benefit you.

Random thoughts. Best of luck with it!

Guest TankerHC

I think you have a niche market, so if the goal is profits, in this economy --- well, people are not lineing up to buy wallhangers right now. Not trying to be down on the idea, just a thought.

If the goal is to enjoy your hobby with money on the side, that is another story.

A lot of the people that do this sort of thing carry not only the guns but other items such as field gear, pictures, postcards, and whatnots. Lots of collectors of the non-firearm items too, and that rounds out the business, attracts more customers. Plenty of CW tourism in this area and chattanooga is central to everything.

If the yearly CW gunshow is any indication, there are a lot of people doing the same thing.

Modern BP guns (hunters, mostly) are of little interest (the ppl that use them have a gun already). But components for the various guns (bullets, powder, caps) might sell some. Also replica guns are moderately popular, and a few of those might sell. I wouldnt fill the store with them but either have the ability to order them or have just a couple on hand might benefit you.

Random thoughts. Best of luck with it!

I agree with most of this. I know its a niche market, but I would be targeting re-enactors primarily and initially and maybe some of those who are just "Interested". I would have to disagree on those not lining up to buy wall hangers. Although that could be entirely true for this area. I just spent 2 weeks on a Civil War vacation hitting 23 battlefields plus the Museum of the Confederacy and the Confederate White House. From Winchester north to Gettysburg and back South to Richmond not only are Civil War relics, but even the repros and non firing repro's are flying off the racks. A new shop in Gettysburg called "The Armory" just liquidated an estate of 60, Museum Quality 61 Springfields at 6500 each and up, in less than a month and are doing 20,000 in business a week, (They just sold Doc Hollidays revolver) . An army buddy of mine runs the "Civil War Historical Shop" in Gettysbiurg and cant keep the non firing replicas on the wall (I wouldnt carry these). But you could be right about this area.

Being retired, it woulld be more of a money making hobby, If I could initially (And by initially I mean within 6 months) bring in 500-600 a week in net profit, that would suit me just fine.

I wouldnt carry anything related to modern black powder.

Guest bkelm18

Agreed. Go web-based first and set up on Suttler's Row during events to get your name out. That way you can judge what interest there is. What works at Gettysburg may not work in Chattanooga. Then if you think there is enough interest in the Chatt area, open up a store front. Tanking an internet business is much less costly than tanking a physical store.

Edited by bkelm18

With such a niche "hobby" market, in such a piss-poor economy I can't imagine enough demand to keep yet another brick and mortar store afloat, however if you used some cleaver marketing and helped create some demand by sponsering CW events (using the products you sell) you might be able to make the venture a viable one.

Special store events don't even have to be large scale reinactments, just simple CW themed campouts or a day long shooting demostration, etc would help generate consumer interest and if done correctly longer term customer loyalty, just make sure to bring decent selection of goods to sell at your events so the folks will get an idea of what you sell at your store.

Vending at larger scale reinactments is a good idea, but you'll just be one of many vendors there and while you might make a few bucks and a few new friends, the smaller scale store events will really solidify a consumer/store relationship.

Anyway that's just my experience w/vending to niche markets, g'luck to ya.

Real estate is not the best around the Chickamauga Battlefield. Guess that's a plus as you're sure to get a good price. But there is one small CW souvenir/memorabilia type place already.

With the exception of one pawn shop, there are no gun stores in that immediate area and they do not have any CW weapons.

The Rossville side of the Ridge (John Ross Rd and Lafayette Rd area) might be a good place for a shop like that. I worked at a gas station in this area for a while back before everyone had GPS, so I can attest there's lots of tourist traffic traveling from downtown Chattanooga to the Chickamauga Battlefield and the CW stuff on the Ridge. This area would be my first choice for something like that.

The north end of the Ridge is not a great area... if you catch my drift.

I think you have an interesting niche, and Chattanooga is a good choice for it. My only suggestion is that you might consider pushing your era up another 40 years or so and include cowboy action stuff. While I'm not personally involved (yet), it seems pretty popular and looks like a lot of fun.

What you've suggested is a very small market. I wouldn't think you'd have a ton of business with that alone. However, if you could make it into some sort of tourist attraction/souvenir shop, in addition to what you're thinking, you'd have a great market in Chattanooga. Also, if you could carry obselete parts/ ammunition/ etc. for such guns, you'd definitely have a wider market.

There's a lot of great advice on this topic. As a former CW reenactor and a current black powder collector and shooter who

browses the web regularly to find new "toys" (Henry's, Spencers, SSAs, Sharps, etc) there are PLENTY of places to get the guns, and they all basically come from the same importers/manufacturers so the only thing I really look at is the price of the gun from the respective vendors, shipping, price of ammo etc before making the purchase.

Tennessee alone has many places where you can buy these guns already, most notably Blockade Runner (between Nashville and Chatt) and Dixie Gun Works in West Tennessee.

Through there may be some retail traffic opportunities because of Chickamaugua/Chatt NMP, please do not confuse the traffic there to that of Gettysburg. Both battlefields are original to the "Big 5" national battlefields/military parks that were formed in the late 1800's but the traffic at Gettysburg and the potential profit there is much greater, even with the number of vendors there, because of the major cities and transportation hubs nearby (Harrisburg, Philly, Baltimore, DC, NYC, etc)

I would think the lack of similar place in the Chattanooga area MIGHT be to your advantage but the Civil War tourist culture is much different here based a lot upon the fact that you have to want to get to Ft. Donelson, Stones River, Franklin, Chattanooga, Resaca, etc. All are fairly easy get to but they are not, primary, destinations for the summer tourist like Gettysburg. Don't get me wrong, they get visitors that are there specifically to see the history (Carnton Mansion in Franklin averages 60,000 visitors per year) but I would guess that most of the seasonal traffic is people pulling off I-24, I-65 or I-75 on their way elsewhere. Gettysburg is an international destination.

If this is a passion of yours, I'd start web first. If interacting with customers and talking history is what you want a small retail location in Ft. Oglethorpe on GA 3 near the relic shop (I forget the name of it but it's in a strip mall type complex at a major intersection) might be the way to go. As noted above the area near the main entrance to the park and visitors center is a bit "sketchy" and I think even the McDonalds near the gate closed (at least it was shut down when I was there last) and if McDonalds closed that's a sign, and something you should research in depth, because they're practically recession proof especially when located at the entrance of a national park/battlefield.

You might also want to explore a downtown Chattanooga location - that area has seen extensive urban renewal and experiences a ton of traffic and tourism. While not near the CW action directly, it gets the visitors that Lookout Mountain, and other places simply don't.

I love to handle these guns: Enfields, Springfields, Sharps, Colts, etc and visit and talk with like-minded people and could hang out in a place as you envision for hours but I think I'm in the minority. To make money in the business now, in my opinion, you have to cater to the casual and impulse buyer who is moved by what they learned, saw, felt at the battlefield and simply HAS to own a piece of, or a reproduction of, history NOW...before the passion fades. Additionally, the stuff you'll have to sell to really make money to pay the rent and expenses like t-shirts, candy, books, tin cups, canteens, uniform parts (quality or otherwise) toy soldiers and other kid friendly stuff (typical Civil War disposable "junk" you find at most tourist shops, even ladies things like period apparel, etc). in 1994 you could find a Euroarms 3 band Enfield rifle musket everywhere for less than $400 - this same gun now is routinely around $600 or more. That, while very "affordable" compared to a Henry, Sharps or Spencer, is a lot of money for a casual sale to someone who walked out of a battlefield visitor's center earlier in the day.

If it were 20 years ago and the reenacting hobby was booming post the Ken Burns PBS Civil War series I'd tell you to go for it NOW but as we're almost half way through the 150th Anniv celebration of the CW, you might be on the backside of the popularity before you really get up and running.

I'll stop rambling...you just need to decide if you're going to do it for the passion and fun of history or as a money making venture and follow your heart.

Best of luck in your research and decision and if you open, please let us know. I'll make the 2 hour drive from Franklin!!

Guest TankerHC

You need to start as a web based business. Then if that is successful, you could think about a brick and mortar store. I'm betting that most re-enactors buy off the web.

My wife suggested this exact thing last night. After careful consideration, Im thinking that, and going to all the re-enactments and setting up in the suttlers rows would be how to start.

Guest TankerHC

Went back and read some of the posts before this last post. This forum and MSGO (Which is based on this Forum) are great. Some really good advice and great ideas. Keep it coming, Im copying and pasting this stuff into a document so I can sort it out and come up with a final decision. Thanks again.

• Admin Team

I might suggest a couple of things as a small business owner:

1. Move to the area and get to know some people. Folks at the battlefield. People at the reenactments, etc... Talk to them about the perceived demand, and see what's been done historically. These folks will be key to driving folks into your shop.

2. As a hobby based business, make sure it'll still be fun if it's work.

3. The number one reason for small businesses failing is lack of capital - not lack of vision. You've got a budget set. That's good. Make sure you focus on revenue. It trumps everything else in a small business.

4. Web based is good, but it's definitely a different experience. It's a great idea, but if youre looking to interact with people, make sure you don't get so tangled up with a website that you don't have time to do what you really want to do.

5. Tours? Special events?

6. Set a timeline and some milestones. Give yourself a way to measure progress.

Good luck. Have fun.

]Welcome Tanker to TGO.

I have been to this shop myself and the owner is an odd bird, but you might want to check out his website and store in person http://www.wildmans-shop.com/index.htm .. From what you describe in wanting to do, he has been doing for years and is not that far from Chatanooga. There are also several other small shops heading back toward Chatanooga that deal in the same items you describe.

I wish you the best on your venture

I agree with MacGyver's comments. There are also several re-enactors who shoot cowboy and could get you into that shooting community here. The Tennessee Mountain Marauders shoot SASS the 4th Saturday of each month. You would find Jackson Longstreet and other re-enactors there. The Ocoee Rangers shoot the 3rd Saturday. Both matches draw shooters from as far east as the Knoxville area and from as far west as M'boro & Wartrace. There were only two gunshops in downtown Chattanooga that I can remember. One was a pawn shop, the other an up class shooting, fishing store with $5000 shotguns. Both are out of business now. Most people I know don't go downtown at all anymore unless you have no choice. Never at night unless you are just looking for trouble. Contact me when you get here if you want and I'll show you the LGSs and matches if you want.

http://www.themarauder.com/

http://ocoeerangers.com/forums/index.php

Cherokee Slim