Some interesting 300 BLK dummy loads

L-R: 86 grain FMJ, 100 grain cast, 168 grain cast, 175 grain FP cast, 180 grain cast, 208 A-Max, 230 grain BT cast

b3066911.jpg

The 86 grain bullets are pulls from the 7.62x25 Tokarev. I read some where where the 86 grain bullets were being pushed to close to 3k. They are .308" also without doing anything to them.

Not sure which ones I will actually load but I think the 86 grainers and the 230 grainers will be on the top of the list. If I am going to load something to super velocities then I am going SUPER.

And then this happened.

I was sitting here staring off into space then something came into focus. My 55 grain .31 caliber balls I cast for my slingshot. I decided to size one down and wouldn't you know it looks mighty nice in the 300 blk case. About 1/2 the ball sticks out and the sizing process gave me about a 1/4" of bearing surface. Now it would never work for a AR you wanted to cycle but for a bolt gun or an AR that you wanted to shoot single shot it would. I would not push it too fast but it would make a great little squirrel bullet. Get the velocity to around 1,000 fps and it should not tear a squirrel up too bad. And on top of that it would be miserly with the powder and probably pretty quiet as well if you used some very fast powders.

blackout00buck_zps0f47be8f.png

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as 7.62x39. I actually built a bolt gun in x39 and never really shot it for accuracy. I decided to dump the x39 and go with BLK because I am able to find load data for using HEAVY bullets.

But as far as hunting deer I can see it being very effective as long as you think of it like a 30-30. The ballistics are nearly identical between the BLK and the 30-30 except the BLK can use pointy bullets. For me I am using it for a cheap and easy way to shoot 30 caliber bullets. I also like the fact it has very little recoil because I do not tolerate it well since a helicopter accident.

Dolomite

For hunting think of it as a rifle/round for 250 yards and closer. Of course always check your trajectory at the range before hitting the field with it. It sounds like the perfect rifle for TN, great self defense round for inside the home or out and about on the property, great for hunting in 90% of TN hunting situations on large game, and if you reload its a great recreational/fun gun.

I gotta get me some Noslers too. I sure like the looks of the Sierra 125g soft points I loaded......or maybe I just like 'em cuz they were free.

I DO like the looks of a 150g FMJ. They look positively wicked. Gotta get with David and get me some more of those!

Left to right: 125g Sierra - 168g cast - 150gFMJ

DSC02718.jpg

I think I am most excited about my cast loads though. Man I hope they work out. Loading them for less than a dime each puts me ahead of the pack on expenses.

photo-13.jpg

Edited by Caster

I guess I am behind the power curve. I don;t even have a single loaded round yet.

Dolomite

That don't mean nuthin'.

You could say I'm the nutty one. I've had loaded ammo for a while now. I've even got loaded ammo for 300 RIMMED Blackout. I may never get one built but by golly if I do, I got ammo for it!

OOH! Which reminds me Dolomite. I've been thinking about a single shot in 300 BLK-R but now I'm thinking about maybe doing a bolt action like Ruger's .357 mag or maybe doing a lever action. I was thinking on my 30/30 the other day and it occurred to me how cool a lever action in 300 BLK-R would be loaded with Hornady FTX flex tips.

Edited by Caster

OOH! Which reminds me Dolomite. I've been thinking about a single shot in 300 BLK-R but now I'm thinking about maybe doing a bolt action like Ruger's .357 mag or maybe doing a lever action. I was thinking on my 30/30 the other day and it occurred to me how cool a lever action in 300 BLK-R would be loaded with Hornady FTX flex tips.

I had already thought of that too. A 300 bulk that will reliably cycle in a bolt gun. Use the rotary magazine and probably have a very reliable platform.

Dang it, not I have another platform to look for.

Dolomite