Trade or no trade

Guest Jerm4786

The 9mm yes , the .40 no . There have been noteable reports and fixes by S&W for magazines being ejected during firing of the Shield in .40 caliber. Take a visit to mp-pistol.com and ask about them over there . I have no personal experience with the .40 but I do with the 9mm. In the 9mm I did experience a lot of failure to go back into battery when I do a "press check". Some guys say that most guns do this but I dont own a single gun that will not go back into battery when I slightly pull the slide back to inspect the chamber .

When S&W fixes that issue I will get the Shield in 9mm

Edited by tercel89
Guest Jerm4786

The sig p238 doesnt go back into battery on its own either...at least mine dont. I am still leaning towards the shield in 9mm for the bigger round, i dont pocket carry the sig anyway. I assume the shield would be as easily concealed iwb.

The 9mm yes , the .40 no . There have been noteable reports and fixes by S&W for magazines being ejected during firing of the Shield in .40 caliber. Take a visit to mp-pistol.com and ask about them over there . I have no personal experience with the .40 but I do with the 9mm. In the 9mm I did experience a lot of failure to go back into battery when I do a "press check". Some guys say that most guns do this but I dont own a single gun that will not go back into battery when I slightly pull the slide back to inspect the chamber .

When S&W fixes that issue I will get the Shield in 9mm

This is a known issue with the shield. I have a friend who is having the same problem with his 9mm.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/248797-manually-fail-battery-not-issue-but.html

Edited by DaddyO

Just to reinforce what others have said, I love my PM9. It's not a pocket gun (for my clothing and build, anyways), but it's a great IWB for shorts and T-shirts, etc. When I can't hide my P229, the PM9 is my go-to "summer clothes" carry gun after much trial and error.

Actually, I traded my P238 and got a .40 Shield and am very pleased. I would do the same thing again. I'm just not a fan of the .380 caliber. I reload most of the ammo I shoot. I dare say that even though the P238 is a pretty accurate weapon for it's size, it just won't match the Shield. I did a little work on the sear in my Shield and it has a very good trigger pull. It is better than my M&P 9c or my M&P .45fs. It carries very well in an IWB Kydex or Kydex Hybrid holster. I have a Silent Thunder and an Old Faithful prototype for it. They both work very well. I bet those of you who are knocking the Shield probably haven't shot one and certainly don't own one. To me that's like a celibate giving sexual advice. You shouldn't give advice about something you haven't done. Another nice thing about it is that it has a thumb safety as do all my M&Ps.

Edited by Dave Nowlin

I don't think I would trade for the Sheild. I did have a P238 and loved it as a carry gun. The only reason I sold it was I purchased a Kinber Solo 9mm and it was about the same size so the P238 just sat in the safe. Didn't need a .380 when I could carry a 9mm just as easily.

I like the shield a lot better than I thought I would. It is a very good design. I do not care for the regular M&P line very much, and expected more of the same. Its better than the regular M&Ps to me, and had I known that, I would have it instead of that nano.

• 2 weeks later...