Pistol Caliber Carbine Help!

Guest ASmartOne

Guest ASmartOne

Try and find one for MSRP.or less. Or at all, actually.

- OS

Is it discontinued or just a REALLY popular model?

I put it together using a Garrison Manufacturing kit. They are long since gone. I did go through and thin the barrel some to make it lighter for the wife.

Dolomite

Well, thanks anyway. But I am curious, may I ask how you thinned the barrel?

Off Topic: What are some good online gun stores?

They are rare and very popular.

Yep, supply has not kept up with demand for quite a few years.

You can always find Marlin .30-30 and often .44 just at Wally's for way under MSRP, but any .357 generally goes for MSRP at the least. Hell, even used ones sometimes do. 'Bout the only place I see new ones available is on GunBroker, where they get a premium.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Seems everyone has forgot a BIG one in the 9mm carbine market.

The AR. My wife's AR has at least 8K rounds through it and other than hiccups with certain HP's it is very, very reliable. It is the most reliable gun I have ever owned. Also, they run even when dirty. I cleaned it at about 3K and again a few months ago when I stripped all the Krylon off of it. So we had at least 4K rounds through it since the last cleaning. You can find mags for it for under $20 for steel mags that run right. They also use UZI mags after you cut the mag catch slot. They take all the same accessories as a standard AR.

Her 9mm AR will be with us until it gets passed to our son.

Dolomite

I guess they're cheaper to shoot, but I dunno...for what it is though, I think I'd just keep it .223.

My vote goes to the hipoint though. Especially when you factor in the price. There's always a mech tech conversion if you've got a glock frame laying around!

Hell, you can probably buy a new glock frame from lonewolf and the Mech Tech unit for what a Storm costs anyway...

Guest ASmartOne

Yep, supply has not kept up with demand for quite a few years.

You can always find Marlin .30-30 and often .44 just at Wally's for way under MSRP, but any .357 generally goes for MSRP at the least. Hell, even used ones sometimes do. 'Bout the only place I see new ones available is on GunBroker, where they get a premium.

- OS

Strange off topic: Would it be smart to hunt deer with a .44? Weird question, I know.

Though the main reason I am looking at a pistol caliber carbine is that the local range is handgun calibers only.

I guess they're cheaper to shoot, but I dunno...for what it is though, I think I'd just keep it .223.

My vote goes to the hipoint though. Especially when you factor in the price. There's always a mech tech conversion if you've got a glock frame laying around!

Hell, you can probably buy a new glock frame from lonewolf and the Mech Tech unit for what a Storm costs anyway...

I would like an AR in .223 but as I said before, handgun calibers only at the local range. And my netbook's charge is dying... That's all folks!

Strange off topic: Would it be smart to hunt deer with a .44? Weird question, I know.

Haven't killed anything except fish since my 20's, but most folks I see opine seem to think .44 mag is fine within say 100 yards, maybe another 25 or so more with Hornady Leverevolution.

- OS

Guest ASmartOne

I chucked the barrel in my lathe and just hinned it out.

Dolomite

Thanks for the info!

Haven't killed anything except fish since my 20's, but most folks I see opine seem to think .44 mag is fine within say 100 yards, maybe another 25 or so more with Hornady Leverevolution.

- OS

I am not sure I could hit a deer at 100 yards!

- OS

It's perfectly capable round on white tail at that range. from a 16-18" barrel, hell, maybe a little further.

First post!

What pistol caliber carbines (PCC) are available right now? I want something for, mainly, plinking but I also want it to serve for defense. Now, I wasn't planning to get a PCC right away because I want my carry permit and a handgun to with it. However, I may be able to get a good deal on a used Beretta Cx4 Storm.45 ACP. However, the price of .45 acp ammo, combined with the fact that the .45 Cx4 ONLY has an 8 round mag puts me off a little bit.

So I would like to know if I should look elsewhere before buying the Cx4. Cause if I can pay less for a just-as-good gun, I would like to know.

These are the three common models that I know of:

(1) Beretta Cx4 Storm

(2) Kel Tec Sub 2000

(3) Hi Point Carbine

And the Hi Point isn't really on that list because I want a nicer gun, just personal preference.

Sorry this post got long but I had a lot to say.

I have the sub2k in 9mm Glock. Perfect setup if you plan on getting a Glock 19 or 17. Same ammo and magizines and Hi-Cap. + it folds. What it comes down to is, are you going to match a hand gun to the carbine or the carbine to a hand gun.

Guest ASmartOne

Update: I missed the Storm. Pity as it would have been a good price. I did look at the local pawn shop and they had a Marlin .44 for $599. I did not see which model it was.

Crossfire, I don't think I will make a match either way. I just like the 33 round capacity of the Sub2K.

As for the rest of the PCCs, I have decided to wait until after I have my HCP to buy one. But! I really want to say thanks to all you guys for the invaluable advice.