Rifle Case

wcsc12

As I draw near finishing my AR-15 build, I realize that I don't have anywhere to put them. Can anyone recommend a good rifle case? I will be buying a dedicated .22LR AR as well so if it can fit 2 rifles pretty snugly, that's a big plus.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^That's the question. If you want a decent soft case there are plenty out there from 5.11 and the like that will likely fit the bill. If you really want to go big you could get a Pelican case. They are top of the line and durable as hell. But there are many in between those price ranges as well.

What kind of prices are we talking? $50 or $60 max is possible but if I need to spend more, that's fine.

You can get a generic hard plastic/foam lined rifle case like I had for about $25/30, only count on fitting 1 rifle in it though. If you want a nice pelican, we are talking hundreds of dollars.

From my experiences, you can get a decent foam padded, zippered, soft-side case from 30 to 150+. It depends on the name brand and quality, as well as construction and features on them.

On the other hand, a really good hardcase like the Pelicans can go for 200+. Seems like the last one I saw in a Gander Mtn. store was about 229. Of course, used cases can be found as well.

Check e-bay or post a wtb ad here. Even web search. All kinds of possibilites out there.

Some Walmart stores sell some very nice cases. They look like Pelican cases and have the pull and pluck foam. They are big enough for a couple of rifles and a pistol or two.

They had them on sale on Black Friday for $60 but I do believe they sell for $100 normally. And for $100 they are a GREAT value.

Dolomite

I like 5.11. The single rifle cases can hold two rifles side by side w/o scopes or accessories.

The double rifle cases are a little more but holds the rifles on top and bottom with a padded divider and can accommodate scopes.

Both come with plenty of PALS webbing.

Edited by strickj
Guest ThePunisher

The Outpost Armory had the Barrett 36" AR bags for $59.99 this past Tuesday when I was there. I've got a 5.11 and paid way over a hundred dollars and the Barrett bag is a much better bag with lots of storage space. I'm going to get one the next time I'm there. Wished I had went ahead and picked one up, but thought I had already spent too much money.

Edited by ThePunisher
Guest ThePunisher

Made a trip back to Outpost Armory today and picked up two of the Barrett AR 36" bags. The bags have one large zippered pocket of approximately 24" wide with two Velcro fastened pockets within the large pocket. Lots of storage in this pocket. On the outside of the zippered pocket are three large Velcro pockets with additional buckles to fasten. The middle pocket is a little larger than the two outside pockets. You can put at least three or four Pmags in the outer pockets, and probably four or five Pmags in the larger middle pocket. Very impressed with the padding and quality. Well worth the $59.99 price; bargain.

You can easily build your own. Gobsown to the local music emporium, or even online and find a keyboard case. Last time I looked they where $60-$100 for one that would suit your purposes well.

Head down to home depot and get a couple cans of great stuff or any spray foam insulation, next grab either an old beach towel or make a trip to walmart for some fabric. Spray the foam in the case, lay down the fabric and press your rifles into it. Now you've got a custom rifle case.

Or just grab an SKB. I've been using SKB case for guitars for about ten years and think they're great. Their rifle cases are in between the budget brands and pelicans both in cost and quality.

Some Walmart stores sell some very nice cases. They look like Pelican cases and have the pull and pluck foam. They are big enough for a couple of rifles and a pistol or two.

They had them on sale on Black Friday for $60 but I do believe they sell for $100 normally. And for $100 they are a GREAT value.

Dolomite

I saw some new ones in Walmart tonight for $22. They are Plano cases that are supposed to fit 2 rifles with scopes in it comfortably. I might give them a shot. However, they didn't have a divider. Apparently just the foam is supposed to keep them apart....not really a fan of that but I'll only have one rifle at first for about 3 weeks anyway before I get the 2nd.

Edited by wcsc12