Hickok45 Covers my favorite rifle; The 99 Savage

gregintenn

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We love our 99s! My wife has one in .250 Savage, and mine is in .300 Savage. Reloading components are cheap (except cases), since .25 and .308 bullets are common. With the .250, we get 2900fps with 100gr bullets, and the .300 gets 2700fps with 150gr bullets.

The smooth profile is very welcome when trudging through heavy brush as there is nothing to snag. Balance is prefect, and handling is very quick. Both of ours were made in the 1920's and show that super-high level of craftsmanship typical of high-end firearms of that period.

I always felt that the .250 Savage would have been an excellent military cartridge. Much better all-around ballistics than the 5.56mm, while retaining relatively light weight and recoil. It makes an excellent deer cartridge out to medium ranges (400-500 yards) with good energy retention and a flat trajectory.

The .300 Savage is almost as powerful as the .308. I can handload it to a tiny bit less than .308 velocities. But in a 90 year-old rifle, I don't think it's a smart idea. So, I keep my loads in that cartridge down to right at 2700fps.

The 99 beats all others hands down. No other lever gun allows the 30WCF to reach it's maximum potential. Super strong action and the rotary box magazine may lose a round or two by comparison to tube magazines but you can load a spitzer with no issues.

It was the rifle that my Papaw always used. So wanting to be just like him, it was the first rifle I bought myself. I was probably early or pre teen. Still have it, of course.

Found another one a few years ago, an E model. It's a .243 and someone has shortened the stock for a youngster. With a shorter barrel, it's a handy little rifle. I just wish it was chambered in .260 Rem. That may be a future project.

Will

I inherited one of these 99e in 300 Savage. I always wondered how the rotary mechanism loaded. Mine doesn't have the schnable forend. Highly rated medium game rifle such as deer and black bear. I'll bet being such a handy rifle it would make an effective hog gun.

IIRC the most common round is about 160 gr.

Thanks for pointing out the Hickock review.