Need my computer repaired in East Tennessee have ????s

so the computer someone gave me that i have been using has a bunch of issues, which all lead to a virus, i cant log onto Facebook and some other websites i like, or anything it tells me i need to be an administrator but nobody knows the password... also it wont let me use any antivirus and i cant download anything since im not a administrator, is there any way i could bypass that or figure a way to log on the administrator account?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so the computer someone gave me that i have been using has a bunch of issues, which all lead to a virus, i cant log onto Facebook and some other websites i like, or anything it tells me i need to be an administrator but nobody knows the password... also it wont let me use any antivirus and i cant download anything since im not a administrator, is there any way i could bypass that or figure a way to log on the administrator account?

Boot into safe mode by pressing F5 or F8 repeatedly after you turn your machine on and you go away from the BIOS screens. Go into safe mode using the administrator account and choose safe mode with networking. Install an antivirus and then update it. Then run it and let it run. Clean everything out and then reboot.

Hopefully, whomever gave you this computer left the administrator password blank so you can just log in. If not, things get a bit more tricky. You'd have to login to your account. If not, it's a bit more tricky. You'll have to use safe mode with command prompt and add a new user.

net user root /add

net localgroup Administrators root /add

net localgroup Users root /delete

Then, you can get some password recovery to get the actual administrators password and then remove it or change it.

Edited by wcsc12

What operating system?

Shoot me a pm with contact info, I might be able to help you out. You'll need to be savvy enough to set up an admin account on your own, but there is a good chance I can get you into the existing admin account.

if you do not have the admin password, you can reset it with the windows install disk (or you once could, not sure about windows 7??). You will lose anything encrypted under the old admin log in, but that is unlikely to be an issue.

The best way to cure a virus that is very bad is to remove the hard disk and scan it with a working computer using a good antivirus.

I've had good luck with this program http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ to unlock the administrator account.

It sounds to me like your best option is going to be to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. Hopefully you got the computer with the installation CD's. If so, just put in teh first CD and reboot the PC. It should boot from the CD and there will be menus to install a fresh copy of WIndows.

If you don't have the install CD's then you'll need to procure some. If you want a free option, you could always go Linux. Get someone to download a copy of Ubuntu. If all you're doing is browsing the web, you'll be just fine with Linux.

If you can get to Oak Ridge, I'd be happy to help you out and reinstall the O/S for you.

Outlaw, if you would like to meet up with me to drop your laptop off I can get everything cleaned up for you. If you want to PM me we can work something out, or if you want to drop it by my work I can take a look at it here.