Ok now I'm confused...Question about TICS

Ok I went today to buy my first gun since moving to Tennessee. Moved here in May. Got my permit in July. But today went to buy a new gun. The first since I moved here a few months ago. Dealer did the TICS online. After 20 minutes of no response they called TICS and was told they were waiting to here from another agency. Is this cause I just moved here recently? I purchased from a dealer in my old state 3 weeks before I moved here with no problem. Just don't know why this happened. I almost feel embarrassed. The dealer said it's never happened in his store before.

Anyone have an idea why this happened?

Too many reasons to list, but probably just what they said, some system down. Almost certainly not due to your relocation.

TICS accesses 5 databases. The main NICS database itself accesses a bunch of additional databases also.

http://www.tbi.tn.go...ack_check.shtml

That's a lot to go wrong at any time, especially since you're dealing with government. Amazing to me it "works" as well as it does.

So you just went home, approval still pending, or still at the store?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

I waited about an hour and a half once because as my background check was going through the entire TICS went down on a saturday at about 900. Needless to say they were flooded and it took them forever to get it back up. It was so busy they wouldnt even accept the info over the phone to run the check.

Dont worry about it.

• Like 1

They run thought the FBI's system and you're birth state. Not always but some states like Illinois and California can sometimes take longer. I have a feeling some states don't rush themselves to return the info. Especially if you have a common name. If they are waiting for another agency it usually means you name flagged and they are checking with you're home state our the agency that listed the original issue. Usually gets cleared up fairly quickly and if not usually in appeal. In most cases I've they get it cleared they will make a note on you're name so it doesn't keep flagging the next times. Probably what is happening since you just relocated.

• Like 1

They run thought the FBI's system and you're birth state....

A lot more than that, but they don't mention "birth state" per se.

"TICS accesses the following databases:

Tennessee Criminal History Repository

File maintained by the TBI and supported by arrest fingerprint cards. Persons who are convicted felons cannot legally possess a firearm.

State of Tennessee Orders of Protection

Data entered, maintained and deleted by Tennessee law enforcement agencies (generally Sheriff’s departments) on persons against whom a restraining order has been issued by a judge. Active protection orders, which meet state or federal laws, will disqualify an individual from obtaining a firearm.

National Crime Information Center

Database maintaining files on wanted persons, protection orders, deported felons, U.S. Secret Service Protective (persons who may pose a threat to the President and/or others afforded protection by the U.S. Secret Service), foreign fugitives, SENTRY File (persons currently under supervision of the Federal Bureau of Prisons), Convicted Person on Supervised Release File and the Convicted Sexual Offender Registry.

Interstate Identification Index

The national repository for criminal history record information.

National Instant Check System (NICS)

The federal instant background check system maintained by the FBI. It houses databases on Denied Persons, Illegal/Unlawful Aliens, Controlled Substance Abusers, Dishonorable Dischargees, Citizenship renunciants and Mental Defectives/Commitments."

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

They run thought the FBI's system and you're birth state. Not always but some states like Illinois and California can sometimes take longer. I have a feeling some states don't rush themselves to return the info. Especially if you have a common name. If they are waiting for another agency it usually means you name flagged and they are checking with you're home state our the agency that listed the original issue. Usually gets cleared up fairly quickly and if not usually in appeal. In most cases I've they get it cleared they will make a note on you're name so it doesn't keep flagging the next times. Probably what is happening since you just relocated.

Just heard from the shop. I was "denied". Guess they don't like my yankee a** lol :whistle:. Not sure what its all about. I've bought several guns in Indiana from ffl's over the last few years. Guess it's off to fill out the appeal. What a headache. Took 3 weeks to find this rifle and now this. :shake::wall:

Edited by SuperFair92

A lot more than that, but they don't mention "birth state" per se.

"TICS accesses the following databases:

Tennessee Criminal History Repository

File maintained by the TBI and supported by arrest fingerprint cards. Persons who are convicted felons cannot legally possess a firearm.

State of Tennessee Orders of Protection

Data entered, maintained and deleted by Tennessee law enforcement agencies (generally Sheriff’s departments) on persons against whom a restraining order has been issued by a judge. Active protection orders, which meet state or federal laws, will disqualify an individual from obtaining a firearm.

National Crime Information Center

Database maintaining files on wanted persons, protection orders, deported felons, U.S. Secret Service Protective (persons who may pose a threat to the President and/or others afforded protection by the U.S. Secret Service), foreign fugitives, SENTRY File (persons currently under supervision of the Federal Bureau of Prisons), Convicted Person on Supervised Release File and the Convicted Sexual Offender Registry.

Interstate Identification Index

The national repository for criminal history record information.

National Instant Check System (NICS)

The federal instant background check system maintained by the FBI. It houses databases on Denied Persons, Illegal/Unlawful Aliens, Controlled Substance Abusers, Dishonorable Dischargees, Citizenship renunciants and Mental Defectives/Commitments."

- OS

I don't know why you like to over-complicate this every time I mention it. I talk to them nearly daily and have done a fair share of TICS and appeals over the last 2 years. I have a fairly good idea how it "actually" works on a practical level. ;) All that above is encompassed in the FBI's system that I referenced and usually when there is a denial or delay it is because they verify identity through DL and names consistency. Sometimes those don't match up or there is a discrepancy and thus the waiting for another agency to clarify or verify status. Birth state is checked through the FBI's system to clarify name issues and other problems that arise. Some states don't respond as quickly as other's according to TBI/TICS agents I've actually talked to .

• Like 1

Just heard from the shop. I was "denied". Guess they don't like my yankee a** lol :whistle:. Not sure what its all about. I've bought several guns in Indiana from ffl's over the last few years. Guess it's off to fill out the appeal. What a headache. Took 3 weeks to find this rifle and now this. :shake::wall:

Well, you have HCP, so whatever it is should get worked out.

Question I always ask, did you use your SSN? That seems to cut through the chaff most of the time.

- OS

• Like 1

Question I always ask, did you use your SSN? That seems to cut through the chaff most of the time.

- OS

I'm thinking I did....I always have before. But I did on the appeal I just submitted.

ETA: I have my HCP. Was issued first of July. This is why I am confused, being just went thru the background a few months ago. I don't know.

Edited by SuperFair92

I'm thinking I did....I always have before. But I did on the appeal I just submitted.

ETA: I have my HCP. Was issued first of July. This is why I am confused, being just went thru the background a few months ago. I don't know.

Once you find out what it is, you need to determine if it's something that may come up again and again, if it's something that's become "lodged" in the system, and get it rectified.

If not outright mis-identification, most common seems to be some charge from the distant past that doesn't show as settled, even if the charge wouldn't have been disqualifying if guilty in the first place. Probably not your prob since you passed the even more extensive HCP background check, though, and these type findings are more common for that check.

Then again, databases seem to come and go and change with a life of their own sometimes.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Ok I filled the appeal form out and dealer faxed it Friday (9/7). I called today to TICS to make sure they received it, thinking it would be resolved by now. The lady on the phone was almost rude about it, just said "it shows in system that it was received the 7th we have 15 days to respond and what i need to do is wait till friday and call my ffl then cause they won't tell me what the outcome is." I asked if there was any reason given for denial she said she "can't say". I asked if it was cuz i've only been in state a few months. she again said "don't know". she said all she can say is "give at least 7 days and call dealer Friday, we have 15 days to process your appeal." And rushed me off the phone.

Never had I had this kind of problem. The worst ever was delayed on NICS on Thursday and got call on Monday. Less than 48 business hours. But that was long ago.

I'm starting to dislike this Tennessee TICS crap. I'm starting to think I should've just went 20 miles up and went to Mike's in Middlesboro and avoided TICS and saved a little $$$$ too.

Ok I filled the appeal form out and dealer faxed it Friday (9/7). I called today to TICS to make sure they received it, thinking it would be resolved by now. The lady on the phone was almost rude about it, just said "it shows in system that it was received the 7th we have 15 days to respond and what i need to do is wait till friday and call my ffl then cause they won't tell me what the outcome is." I asked if there was any reason given for denial she said she "can't say". I asked if it was cuz i've only been in state a few months. she again said "don't know". she said all she can say is "give at least 7 days and call dealer Friday, we have 15 days to process your appeal." And rushed me off the phone.

Never had I had this kind of problem. The worst ever was delayed on NICS on Thursday and got call on Monday. Less than 48 business hours. But that was long ago.

I'm starting to dislike this Tennessee TICS crap. I'm starting to think I should've just went 20 miles up and went to Mike's in Middlesboro and avoided TICS and saved a little $$$$ too.

Most of the folks at TICS are very nice. There is one lady, which sounded like who you got, that is that way no matter what. Keep in mind that one office process every single background check in TN and sometimes they are very busy. They get a lot of calls and they by law can not give out information without verifying identity. If they did that for all the denials statewide they would never get the checks done. It's tough, but be patient. They will get it back.

Most of the folks at TICS are very nice. There is one lady, which sounded like who you got, that is that way no matter what. Keep in mind that one office process every single background check in TN and sometimes they are very busy. They get a lot of calls and they by law can not give out information without verifying identity. If they did that for all the denials statewide they would never get the checks done. It's tough, but be patient. They will get it back.

I understand that I've got to be patient. It's just I've never had these problems buying a gun before. I know it's a little different with the TBI/TICS involved compared to just a straight NICS check. I guess it's just that I'm frustrated with being "denied" and that lady being short/rude. It's just all new to me being this is first FFL purchase since being here. I guess it'll work out in time.

Again Smith thanks for your input.

Ok I went today to buy my first gun since moving to Tennessee. Moved here in May. Got my permit in July. But today went to buy a new gun. The first since I moved here a few months ago. Dealer did the TICS online. After 20 minutes of no response they called TICS and was told they were waiting to here from another agency. Is this cause I just moved here recently? I purchased from a dealer in my old state 3 weeks before I moved here with no problem. Just don't know why this happened. I almost feel embarrassed. The dealer said it's never happened in his store before.

Anyone have an idea why this happened?

I think you have to live here 6 months to be a resident? might just be the problem?

I think you have to live here 6 months to be a resident? might just be the problem?

I asked that question before I even started looking to get the rifle and was told not an issue as long as I have all my state (TN) dl & hcp already then i'm legally a resident. Maybe they were wrong and I have to be here 6 months. I don't know what it is, but it's frustrating to say the least.

You're a resident as soon as you say you are and can prove it with utility bill, pay stub, landline telephone, other docs.

You have six months before an out of state carry permit must be changed to a TN HCP, maybe that's what you're thinking of.

You have 30 days to change DL.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

rant&rave

- OS

I thought it would be worked out days ago. Especially since I have gone thru the HCP thing recently and if I'm ever delayed on NICS it's 1 business day 2 at the most.

Keep in mind that one office process every single background check in TN and sometimes they are very busy. They get a lot of calls and they by law can not give out information without verifying identity. It's tough, but be patient. They will get it back. :wall:

I understand busy but it's been a week. I tried calling a few times to check on it. I was on hold for over 30 minutes twice (Wednesday & Thursday). I called a third time and went right in after just 2 rings (Thursday night). Only to here we have it, that's all we can say. But we have 15 days and it's not been 15 days. WTH! I really am hating TBI/TICS. I know I just need to be patient but I haven't heard anyone say it took them this long on an appeal. Just feel like I'm :wall:

Sorry I'm just venting.

/rant&rave

Guest Like2Shoot

I was denied yesterday after dealer called me in. I dont know if this is why or not. I've been here less than 3 months. I have my cdl and gun permit in Tn. So I thought all would be good. I like the OP did a appeall. Dealer told me it can take 2 weeks. Why so long when the gooberment says 3 business days?