SIG TACOPS

DMark

For a while I realized that I needed (wanted) a railed 1911 to instruct with. I've had several folks shooting railed 1911s during low-light training and I like to be shooting the same type weapon as everybody taking the instruction. I've never really like the "looks" of a railed 1911, but the SIG just seem right to me - - - maybe its the slide profile.

Thanks to forum member "jcoosi" who listed this TACOPS in the for sale section, I now can say that my need (want) has been satisfied.

I'm impressed with this SIG TACOPS...., this coming from an old-school Colt guy. They are IMHO the most undervalued 1911 on the market right now.

The only dislike I had was the grip safety. The shape of the OEM grip safety's upper tang has an edge that cuts into my thumb using a high hold. After a run of training I'd have a blister on the inside of my thumb joint. One day while doing a detail cleaning I was looking at the SIG's tang and it sure did seem to have the same cut and shape as a Kimber. So....., I had a spare Kimber grip safety in my parts box and figured, while not give it a try.

It was a Drop-In!

A little bit of fitting, a safety function test, and after a few hundred rounds - - - No More Bite from my SIG! Some of you might think of this as blasphemy, putting a Kimber part on a SIG, but Dang - - - Even the Finish Matched!

m9xdtt.jpg

These are the other mods that I have done to this TACOPS.

- Novak rear sight with "Super Wide" .170 notch.

- Harrison Design Extreme Service Trigger, Medium.

- Cylinder & Slide High Grip Wide Extended Thumb Safety.

- Ed Brown Double Diamond Checkered Cocobolo Grips.

These parts are found on most of my other 1911s. I'm not a big fan of having an ambi-safety on the 1911, yet I found the stubbie one on the SIG to be worth trying. After running the gun for a while, I found engaging it with gloves on to be an issue for me, thus back to my normal C&S safety. I have John Harrison's trigger on all of my 1911, most being the short one. With the TACOPS I'm trying the medium trigger since I found the OEM supplied ERGO grigs to be thin. Even after installing the trigger the ERGO's thickest just didn't feel right, so I installed a set of the Ed Brown grips.

The "Super Wide" Novak rear takes into account my "seasoned & experienced" eyesight. :eek:

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1

Here it is with all of the stock hardware. Note the red arrow pointed to the edge on the grip safety that was giving me problems.

vo4nra.jpg

Now with the Kimber Grip Safety. Even the blend into the tang of the frame is better.

2lid9w0.jpg

Also shown is the Novak wide-notch rear sight and the C&S thumb safety.

• 1 month later...
.... How hard has it been to find holsters made to fit this?

David,

You are right, that can be an issue. The slide profile is unique and does give it a distinctive SIG look and feel.

And that is the problem - - - being unique, you just can't buy any off-the-rack holster and expect it to fit. The SIG's slide is wider and flatter at the top unlike the rounder profile of all other 1911s. Add the desire to run a weapon mounted light and the only maker is Bladetech unless you go with a custom leather maker.

20pdik4.jpg

What I find interesting is that SIG now makes some of their 1911s with what they call a 'traditional" slide which has the normal rounded top. Those fit any holster made for a 1911.

Did I mention that they are they are D**N Accurate! :up:

amulh3.jpg

While I first fired this SIG, I did a 50 round function firing on some steel plates to settle the firearm in. Then I did the 20 yard shots off of a bench rest. I used a six o'clock hold on the black dot and slowed fired a full mag after topping off. When I checked the results the comment "HOT D**N" came to mind. I then went right to my modified "Bill Drill" which is a topped off weapon, firing as fast as I can, with a full mag reload.

This 1911 points well which is a great aid with rapid follow up shots. It also seems to have a very soft recoil. I wonder if SIG's use of a flat wire recoil springs has anything to do with that?

I too had the 'hots' for a Sig 1911. Bought the standard Nitron 1911 and it is my favorite.......except......it does ocassionaly fail to go into full battery. That really sucks, because I really like this gun. Sig has promised to make it right, and I understand this is something they have had some problems with. Hopefully they will solve the problem because it is very accurate and feels great in the hand.