Gun shop employee returns fire....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From how the article reads, the guy rented a gun. Went to the attached shooting range, fired 3 boxes of ammo, returned with the gun. Clerk was adding up his total to pay when the customer "shot" him. The clerk in turn returns fire and kills customer.

To me this sounds like accidental/negligent discharge by customer, and the clerk taking it as a threat on his life. I am wondering if they have video surveillance to shed some light on this.

From how the article reads, the guy rented a gun. Went to the attached shooting range, fired 3 boxes of ammo, returned with the gun. Clerk was adding up his total to pay when the customer "shot" him. The clerk in turn returns fire and kills customer.

To me this sounds like accidental/negligent discharge by customer, and the clerk taking it as a threat on his life. I am wondering if they have video surveillance to shed some light on this.

Your theoretical scenario crossed my mind as well.

If the customer shot more than once, then I would say yes - threat.

If just once, and he had a deer in the head lights look on his face, you should be able to tell it was an accident.

Don's Guns is one of those gunstores that I always tended to avoid when I lived in Indy, not only were the prices outragious but the shop itself was frequented by some of the worst elements, so no surprise on this end, I am actually shocked that stuff like this doesn't happen more often there.

Story suggests multiple shots from the rented gun.

Don's Guns is one of those gunstores that I always tended to avoid when I lived in Indy, not only were the prices outragious but the shop itself was frequented by some of the worst elements, so no surprise on this end, I am actually shocked that stuff like this doesn't happen more often there.

You are right he is the highest priced shop in Indy. I was there about 6 months ago or so. He wanted $899 for an Xdm 40 (all black $989 for stainless slide). It's right in middle of a crime hotspot. Alot happens there related to the shop but it's not publicly announced/connected. I've only been there 3 times during the 35 years I lived in Indy. Not a place worth taking a chance to visit.

Whether AD or intentional shooting, the story states that the clerk is in the hospital in critical condition. If a stranger shoots me and I am seriously enough injured that I am going to end up in critical condition I don't think I am going to wait around to see whether he says, "Oops," or shoots me, again before I act in self defense. Instead, at that point, I am going to assume (based on the bullet hole in my person leaking precious bodily fluids) that there is a real threat of death or serious, bodily injury.

Edited by JAB

The clerk was upgraded to fair condition this afternoon. No word yet if he is still on a ventilator.

But yeah. I'm not waiting for an "oops!" or "my bad!" You shoot at me I'm shooting back.

Supposedly the video system in the store shows it was intentional and not accidental.

I like this quote. ( http://www.indystar.com/article/20120917/NEWS02/120917017/ )

“If you shoot us,†(Don) Davis (owner of Don's Guns) said, “we’ll shoot you right back.â€

“If you shoot us,†(Don) Davis (owner of Don's Guns) said, “we’ll shoot you right back.â€

Heck, even the Dalai Lama has said that if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you then it is reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Of course, I think he went on to say something about trying to shoot them in the leg, etc. but still - when even a Buddhist monk and religious leader who is often seen as an embodiment of peace and compassion thinks shooting the bastich is the right thing to do...

Edited by JAB

I am all for shooting someone in the knee if I need to know something, but this did not sound like a good time to be asking questions. Didn't know the Llama was into harsh interrogation techniques though, but can't blame him after what he has been thru either.

Seems one should shoot center mass when/if one has reason to shoot to stop the threat.

If you hit someone in the leg that is trying to kill you, they still have a chance to do so.

I agree. I just think the Dalai Lama was trying to balance common sense (shoot the bastich!) with a desire to remain as 'peaceful' as possible. I am no Buddhist monk, however, and would probably respond more in the spirit of Nathan Bedford Forrest when a junior officer under his command intentionally shot him during an argument. Forrest (with a bullet in him) reportedly drew his sabre, killed the other man and is quoted as saying (one of my favorite quotes, ever,) "No damn man kills me and lives."

Edited by JAB