Good Selection of Suppressors In/Around Nashville

Hey Guys ...

Finally got my NFA Trust squared away, and I plan to jump in with both feet.

Plan to go big on this first go around :) Thinking (3) different caliber suppressors to start.

Called G&L and their Class III man was out for a couple of days, so I figured I would ask the friendly guys around here if anyone knows of a gunshop that has a decent stock of both rimfire/pistol/rifle suppressors?

Also tried calling Nashville Gun Shop, they have none.

Calibers I plan to go with:

1) SS Sparrow (22lr)

2) 9mm Can

3) .223/5.56 Can

If anyone can recommend a good 9mm and/or 223 can, I'd appreciate it. Think I'm already dead set on the SS Sparrow for .22

Thanks Guys! Can't wait to join the group of a Class III Owner!

Depending on shooting habits and plans of cleaning the suppressor, you might be able to get away with using your 5.56 on your 22 without issue. If you shoot a ton of 22, definitely be worth a dedicated can though.

I know there aren't many places that really stock suppressors. Most just are knowledgeable and will help you pick one out and order it for you.

Depending on shooting habits and plans of cleaning the suppressor, you might be able to get away with using your 5.56 on your 22 without issue. If you shoot a ton of 22, definitely be worth a dedicated can though.

I know there aren't many places that really stock suppressors. Most just are knowledgeable and will help you pick one out and order it for you.

Thanks nysos!

When they order to have it shipped, would that be a class III transfer? At which point, I think most places make you pay $100 or so on a Class III transfer. Or since the shop is ordering it for you, just your standard Form 4?

Sorry for the noob questions :surrender:

As for running a 5.56 on a 22 ... I've actually looked at reviews where people do this, along with running like an Osprey with .22.

Since these can's will be with me for life, I figure, a dedicated approach will be best, although I can always run a 9 or 5.56 can on the 22 if I have to :)

Thanks nysos!

When they order to have it shipped, would that be a class III transfer? At which point, I think most places make you pay $100 or so on a Class III transfer. Or since the shop is ordering it for you, just your standard Form 4?

Sorry for the noob questions :surrender:

As for running a 5.56 on a 22 ... I've actually looked at reviews where people do this, along with running like an Osprey with .22.

Since these can's will be with me for life, I figure, a dedicated approach will be best, although I can always run a 9 or 5.56 can on the 22 if I have to :)

That only applies if you purchase from another dealer and have it transferred to your local dealer (I believe that is called Form 3). My local also charges $100 for that.

I would stay away from using nonserviceable cans on .22 as they can get really dirty....best just to get a dedicated can as you already plan to do.

What is most important to you with your 9 and 5.56 cans? Weight? Price? Overall dB reduction? Those will all factor into what is "best" for you.

That only applies if you purchase from another dealer and have it transferred to your local dealer (I believe that is called Form 3). My local also charges $100 for that.

I would stay away from using nonserviceable cans on .22 as they can get really dirty....best just to get a dedicated can as you already plan to do.

What is most important to you with your 9 and 5.56 cans? Weight? Price? Overall dB reduction? Those will all factor into what is "best" for you.

Thanks Samson,

From what I have researched thus far (all of a couple days over at silencertalk) ... The SS Sparow is both easy to clean and relatively light, plus its backed by Silencerco which I hear has great CS. I think for me -- Ideal would be Easy to take apart/clean and dB Reduction. Price isn't a factor since these will be lifelong partners :) I've looked in to Titanium too. Not sure what would hold up best over the long run :) Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

For a 5.56 can I would opt to run a .30 one. That way you can knock out more calibers with one. Outpost has a good selection, but I highly recommend Thompson Machine.

Good idea, as I plan to pick up a .308. Need to research and find some 308 cans being used on 5.56 rifels. I'll be sure to check out both dealers you have mentioned!

Edited by xRUSTYx

Thanks Samson,

From what I have researched thus far (all of a couple days over at silencertalk) ... The SS Sparow is both easy to clean and relatively light, plus its backed by Silencerco which I hear has great CS. I think for me -- Ideal would be Easy to take apart/clean and dB Reduction. Price isn't a factor since these will be lifelong partners :) I've looked in to Titanium too. Not sure what would hold up best over the long run :) Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated!

Good idea, as I plan to pick up a .308. Need to research and find some 308 cans being used on 5.56 rifels. I'll be sure to check out both dealers you have mentioned!

I use my Thompson Machine Thirty on my 5.56.

Look at HTG M30-A

It's rated all the way up to 300 Win Mag, and is a take apart design so you could use it with 22lr as well

http://www.htgsilencers.com/Products/Suppressors/Rifle_Suppressors/?ProductID=365

Outpost has a decent selection.

On Target in the 'Boro is a stocking Yankee Hill dealer.

Thanks for the Rec's guys! I'll definately look in to them!

I use my Thompson Machine Thirty on my 5.56.

Not many reviews out on the Thompson Machine Thirty ... I'll have to dig around a bit more.

Look at HTG M30-A

It's rated all the way up to 300 Win Mag, and is a take apart design so you could use it with 22lr as well

http://www.htgsilenc.../?ProductID=365

28 Ounces is heavy! Probably do a 308 in titanium for weight savings!

OK...this could be long. I started this journey about two years ago myself. Someone here recommended Mike Montgomery with Class III firearms. Mike is a one-man operation in Cool Springs. His primary business is selling to law enforcement throughout the Southeast. He has a few in stock, but he will order and find whatever you want. His prices are fair. As you stated, the price game is not the factor in the NFA world. I gave Mike a copy of my trust, told him what I wanted and he found it. He will do the transfer in to him and then file all the paperwork, etc. for the NFA. The best part is that he gives really good service and is very easy to get a hold of. When I want a new can, I email him what I want. He sends me back a quote. He then usually comes by my office, gets a check and starts the paperwork. A few months later, he calls/emails that the stamp is in and I make a BEELINE down to his office and pick up my can. I have found it very advantageous to work with him since he is the only one I deal with. Less mistakes that way. His contact info is:

http://fflgundealers...nterprises.html

As you also stated, you will find what you want by spending time on Silencertalk. I make that place a regular part of most days:) There are some very knowledgable and helpful people there.

I have the SS Sparrow and it is fabulous. I also have the AAC Element, YHM Mite, and Liberty Essence in .22 cans. I have a SWC Spectre II that went pending in August and have ordered a Element 2 as of yesterday. Having a 'user-servicable' .22 can is a must. You will shoot tons of .22 suppressed. It's cheap, fun, very quite, and always a 'crowd-pleaser.' It is also very dirty. The AAC cans, sparrow, and the essence are all stainless baffles and can be 'dipped'. They will clean up like new. You can shoot .22 through the rifle cans, but they are not user-servicable and are very heavy.

I have the Osprey and Tirant45 in .45. They are both equally good. The Tirant can be broken down, the Ospery cannot.

In 9mm, the AAC Evo9 and the Liberty Infiniti. Both are good, but the new TiRant9mm is probably better than the older Evo9. The Infiniti is new to me so I am still 'testing' it out.

I have the YHM Cobra in .223. It makes a .223 much more tolerable, but you still need hearing protection.

I also have an older model AAC Dragonfly. It is an integral can on a buckmark. That one I bought from Bullseye near Atlanta. It was a demo they had. Mike did the transfer for me as well on that one.

Most shops that have class III items will sell near retail. They will also tend to sell you what is in stock. The NFA world is different in that most purchases are 'for life.' It is not like you can run down to the local gunshow and 'flip' a can that you don't like. Finding the new and improved items is worth the trouble. I have had good luck reading the posts on SilencerTalk and doing my due diligence.

I'll be happy to answer any more questions, but this is my 2$ worth:)

Edited by gr8smiles

TM is a small 2 man company in FL. All of their cans are user serviceable.

Interesting & good to know! I enjoy supporting small businesses! Gonna look in to them further!

OK...this could be long. I started this journey about two years ago myself.

Really appreciate your lengthy post gr8! I shot you a PM for a bit more info on Mike, hope you don't mind!

Now, on to some questions.

From your .22 cans. What's your favorite and why? What is the most user serviceable?

As for 9mm can's -- I looked in to Liberty, but I'm currently leaning towards the Osprey due to the flat top. FIgured it would be easier to see over with my PPQ since taller sights aren't available yet (and I don't know if they will ever be available)

Can find much info on the AAC Dragonfly?

From your .22 cans. What's your favorite and why? That depends....haha. Seriously, if I had to have only one .22, it would be the SS Sparrow. It is super-wicked quiet, easy to break down with no tools, and works equally well on rifles and pistols. It also does not seem to have much effect on point-of-impact. I shoot a lot of target .22 and use 24-36 power scopes. I have found this suppressor to be very consistent.

What is the most user serviceable? That would be the SS Sparrow. But, I have found that the Element cleans up very easily because I just throw the baffles in the dip overnight.

As for 9mm can's -- I looked in to Liberty, but I'm currently leaning towards the Osprey due to the flat top. FIgured it would be easier to see over with my PPQ since taller sights aren't available yet (and I don't know if they will ever be available) I have the Osprey in .45. I also have multiple pistons for it. That way, I can use it on my 9mm, .45 and on my metric threaded guns and standard threaded guns. The Osprey is not user-servicable so you would not want to shoot .22 through it. The AAC Tirant45 is one you can clean. I have found no noticable difference in shooting the .45 cans on a 9mm vs a dedicated 9mm can. You can use standard ammo in .45, but you will have to use sub-sonic 9mm to have the 9mm guns perform quietly.

Can find much info on the AAC Dragonfly? You won't. Mine is one of about 20. It was a demo model that AAC did in the early years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Rec's guys! I'll definately look in to them!

Not many reviews out on the Thompson Machine Thirty ... I'll have to dig around a bit more.

28 Ounces is heavy! Probably do a 308 in titanium for weight savings!

Thompson Machine is 27ounces. most full auto rated .30 cal user-servicable cans will weigh in that range. If your putting it on a bolt gun, the by all means Titanium is probably the best choice. but if you want to put it on an AR that will handle any resonable rate of fire, I would not chose Ti. its just depends on what your looking to use it for.

I would suggest that you find a way to try before you buy. I have a YHM mite and it sux!!!!! I had never "heard" one before I bought it. If I had I would put that money somewhere else.

It is pretty crappy even with sub sonic ammo, and pretty much worthless when using anything else. I am glad I started small. I would be sick if I had $1000.00 in something I did not like and could not easily sell.

Just my .02

Can find much info on the AAC Dragonfly? You won't. Mine is one of about 20. It was a demo model that AAC did in the early years.

This is like flaunting a piece of hot dog in front of a hungry dog!!!! LOLOL

I'm gonna find one dangit!!!! It might take me 12 years, but I will!

Thompson Machine is 27ounces. most full auto rated .30 cal user-servicable cans will weigh in that range. If your putting it on a bolt gun, the by all means Titanium is probably the best choice. but if you want to put it on an AR that will handle any resonable rate of fire, I would not chose Ti. its just depends on what your looking to use it for.

This really helps! Thanks Lumber Jack!

I would suggest that you find a way to try before you buy. I have a YHM mite and it sux!!!!! I had never "heard" one before I bought it. If I had I would put that money somewhere else.

It is pretty crappy even with sub sonic ammo, and pretty much worthless when using anything else. I am glad I started small. I would be sick if I had $1000.00 in something I did not like and could not easily sell.

Just my .02

Thanks One! Definitely won't go that route. I feel relatively safe going with an SS Sparrow as my first can! Don't think I have seen a single bad word said about it!

If you want to come to Chatt I can let you try both of mine.

I might just take you up on this one day Duce. We have some family in Ringgold and get down that way a couple of times a year! Appreciate the offer!