Small Revolver

Guest Jamesmb

Guest Jamesmb

Hi

Not sure if this is under the right category, but looking for some recommendations for a small revolver for concealed carry. A Rossi 462 is a bit big with the cylinder and was wondering if any of the S & W guns even if just a 38, not 357 caliber also, would be any smaller then this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rando

I bought my wife a Taurus Titanium 38 snubby and I have a holster for it so I can carry it sometimes. You cant tell its there until you need it, it is so light but shoots great. We had a friend to try it out and now he and his wife carry the same gun and they come in a few different colors so as to suit more people. They are ported to help stay on target better and have the key lock on the back for saftey when stored or when youngster might be around.

hope this helps, Rando:)

Guest Jamesmb

Hi, thanks all for the advise on which gun to buy. What loads do you use in your 38s? Was also looking at a M&P 360 but kinda high priced. Says it can shoot 357s and weighs only 12 ounces empty!

I'd go with a j frame as well, James. Just remember lower weight means harder recoil, too. :rolleyes: It's a double edged sword.

The .38 J-frame is the gold standard for concealed carry. I dont like the .357s because the only thing you gain is cost, muzzle blast, noise, and recoil. The bullet really isn't any more effective.

Guest Todd@CIS

Stick with the Airweight S&W 442 or 642.

The scandium Smiths weigh a little less, but recoil more...enough to make certain loads "jump crimp" (hence the "nothing less than 125gr warning"...I've had other weights jump crimp, too). They're also more expensive.

And I know some here have had good luck with Taurus, but we've been seeing too many failures with Taurus lately...and their once excellent customer service has REALLY taken a nosedive.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Jamesmb

I will be looking closely at the 637, 638 and 642 series of S&W. Now have to figure out the differences. Says they come in external hammer, internal hammer and what is shrouded hammer? Leaning towards external hammer.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14772&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

Edited by Jamesmb
changed link
Guest Jamesmb

ok, I got it now, thanks. As of now I plan on going to the gun show this coming weekend here in Knoxville so will keep my eyes open for one of these guns, or maybe a used earlier model of them.

Edited by Jamesmb
Guest BG38357

The 642 looks like it has Uncle Mike's grips like the ones that come on model 60's.

The original grips on my 638 were too small for me and I put an old Pacmayr Compac grip on it.

Guest BG38357

I agree with Rabbi's post.

In my 638 I'm using Hornady .38 Spcl. 158 gr. JHP/XTP and shoot right at point of aim for me.

Guest kwikrnu

S&W 342 is lighter than the others. It is only .38 special though. I've been looking for one and will buy one if I can find one cheap enough. The last one I saw at a gun show was too expensive for me. It was discontinued.

Guest 270win

The S&W Airweight snubs are excellant and have been in production for the most part since the 1950's. I personally like the 642 because it is stainless steel, hammerless, and easy to carry. Since it is hammerless, it is smooth drawing from an uncle mike's 10 dollar pocket holster and does not snag. I have never been noticed carrying the gun and have carried about everywhere in several states. I looked at a 638 shrouded hammer, but opted for the 642 hammerless because it doesn't have the hump where the hammer is on the 638.

There are 357 mag versions of Airweights and also the Airlites, but i find 38 special is enough in the already light airweight. I would hate to shoot 357 mags through such a light gun.

I looked at a 638 shrouded hammer, but opted for the 642 hammerless because it doesn't have the hump where the hammer is on the 638.

The 638 is the one I went with. Cocking the hammer is alot easier after adding a slightly larger grip like the Pachmayer that supports your little finger.

you've got a lot of recommendations for the S&W J frame. i love them also, and carry one regularly. i also have a NAA mini-revolver in .22magnum, its about the smallest revolver there is but its single action only and very small...its just pocket insurance for me and i treat it like a pocket knife...just another tool i carry... you cant go wrong with a good J frame...big enough to shoot accurately and regularly, and small enough to carry daily.