45 ACP. developing a load.

I should have been more specific... the barrel slightly moves when the slide is locked back. when the slide is forward (like the pic above), there is no discernible movement. It feels tight with the bushing.

There is a very slight movement (left/right) of the slide but none vertically.

I can however can tell a big difference with my pics and the one lumber_jack posted.

Yes the fit in yours isn't super tight but like I said that doesn't mean it's not accurate.

The barrel will move when the slide is locked back. Your gun looks good. I'd try just shooting from a rest and see I you get better results.

Is this your first 1911, and are these the first rounds through it? If so, shoot a couple of thousand rounds through it and you will know how accurate it is. I have an old SA that has had probably 15+ thousand rounds fired. It is still very accurate, but the slide is kind of sloppy. I call it my ugly gun. I also have a Dan Wesson CBOB that is very accurate.

Yes, iron sight were difficult to keep steady and I can tell after a few mags it was harder to keep steady. The 45 kicked less than I thought but the gun is heavy.

I'm going to make those loads and then try it benched next time.

Most of the folks shooting 25+ yards have a red dot on their pistols. Not all, but most. Barrel and bushing fit do more for accuracy IMHO than slide to frame. Its pretty cheap to get a smith to hand fit a bushing for you, so thats a win-win mod to do early on. If you can get the bushing out without a 1911 wrench, its worth thinking about.

Please tell me you weighed the charges and did not rely on the Lee dipper chart. The chart is notorious for being off. If you are not weighing you are asking for trouble.

Now if you use the dipper and weigh the charges to see where they fall that is fine.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1

Please tell me you weighed the charges and did not rely on the Lee dipper chart. The chart is notorious for being off. If you are not weighing you are asking for trouble.

Now if you use the dipper and weigh the charges to see where they fall that is fine.

Dolomite

the disk chart is off as well if you use that. And both of them are going to produce more variation between charges than weighing each one carefully on a good scale. Volume measure is just too prone to air space, settling, and the like. The disk device produces "pretty good" ammo for me, and does it fast, but I do not use it when I want precision.

You need to push that range out to 25 yards and use a GOOD solid rest to test loads. In my opinion shooting for group is like peeing in the dark- you may or may not have good luck. At 10 yards I don't get very excited about accuracy or lack thereof. I worry more about function.

• Like 1

Dolomite

Oh yes. I got 'trained' by making loads for the 10FP in 308. I don't even use the Dillon's auto powder feed. I like to weigh each charge and sometimes I weigh them twice. =)

I just use the dipper spoons to give me enough powder to get started and then i dribble the rest in.

You need to push that range out to 25 yards and use a GOOD solid rest to test loads. In my opinion shooting for group is like peeing in the dark- you may or may not have good luck. At 10 yards I don't get very excited about accuracy or lack thereof. I worry more about function.

thanks you; I'll do.

Most of the folks shooting 25+ yards have a red dot on their pistols. Not all, but most. Barrel and bushing fit do more for accuracy IMHO than slide to frame. Its pretty cheap to get a smith to hand fit a bushing for you, so thats a win-win mod to do early on. If you can get the bushing out without a 1911 wrench, its worth thinking about.

This makes me feel a lot better that the gun is fine, the rounds are fine and it's just me. I can do more about the 'me' part of the equation.

I've been dry firing at home and I realize I'm really shaking that 1911; it's heavy compared to what I'm used to. Those targets were my first rounds through the gun. If the seller's words have truth, then I'm still breaking it in. I just made another batch of 45s. Enough for 2 groups of 5 shoots each at different powder weights. I'll head to the range hopefully this weekend and report back on how it goes!

Is this your first 1911, and are these the first rounds through it? If so, shoot a couple of thousand rounds through it and you will know how accurate it is. I have an old SA that has had probably 15+ thousand rounds fired. It is still very accurate, but the slide is kind of sloppy. I call it my ugly gun. I also have a Dan Wesson CBOB that is very accurate.

yep. Original owner said less than a box of ammo through it. Looks like it too; everything is clean except for a few ding marks. It's does have the 'idiot' scratch on the frame that I keep reading about.

In reply also, the bushing is tight. no movement. And I just tried, the spring and with the bushing is so tight, I definitely need the tool to remove it.

yep. Original owner said less than a box of ammo through it. Looks like it too; everything is clean except for a few ding marks. It's does have the 'idiot' scratch on the frame that I keep reading about.

In reply also, the bushing is tight. no movement. And I just tried, the spring and with the bushing is so tight, I definitely need the tool to remove it.

If it was me I wouldn't do a thing to the pistol. I would make a thousand rounds and learn to shoot it. To me the 1911 is a very shootable pistol. It has one of the best triggers ever. Learning to grip the pistol will also make it easier to shoot. I grip with both thumbs riding along the slide with the right hand thumb (I am right handed) on top of the thumb safety. It provide a high hold that is very steady.

http://youtu.be/ysa50-plo48

I'm a bit disappointed today. I went to the range with a box of 45 factory rounds and about 50 reloads (Unique. powder grains from 5.3 to 6.1)

25 yards. 5 shot groups (this one happened to be 6 since I had an extra round) Benched. When I couldn't do better than the 5-6 inches, I asked one of the RSA who I knew was pretty good. He couldn't do better than 5 inches either.

This was one of the best groups. Some of them only had 4 holes.

2e51cfd.jpg

Edited by vujade

So... 2 options I think:

1. send back to S&W. I have a 686 that I can get 2-3 inch groups with cheap factory ammo at the same distance/bench. So I know they make good stuff. The reviews on this seem to indicate I should be getting 2-3 inches easily.

2. The gun looks fine but I don't have a lot of experience with a 1911. What I did does indicate that a tighter bushing can solve many accuracy issues. I took some measurements with my caliper:

Outside dimensions of the barrel: .578

Inside dimensions of the bushing: .612

Outside dimensions of the bushing: .697

Inside dimensions of the slide hole thing where the barrel/bushing fit: .704

I was mistaken with an earlier post, I thought I needed a wrench to remove the bushing. Once the spring/guide rod are free, it doens't need a wrench to turn.

What say you guys on these 2 options (is there a 3rd perhaps?) How about my measurements; should they be tighter?