Police serving warrants in the middle of the night

Guest kwikrnu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not treat people with a criminal arrest warrant like humans? Why not call first? Cops won't tell you over the phone if you call if you have an outstanding arrest warrant. You have to go to the station or office. I'd be willing to bet a lot of people would just go down and turn themselves in.

Many cops do treat them like humans and many cops call them. On slow nights I use to call people that had warrants in my district and tell them that if they would come to HQ and surrender to me I would (on misdemeanor warrants) process them myself and allow them to post bond. Some would take advantage of that; most wouldn’t and I would just wait until I saw them driving and nab them, tow their car (which gives me PC for anything and everything I find in their car), and take them in.

Usually calling them results in them trying to plead their case. They don’t seem to understand that I had no control over that they are going to be arrested; it’s just a matter of when and where it happens. Walking in and surrendering (with or without an attorney) is usually going to be easier on them than being taken down on the street or a forced entry.

Criminal aren’t very smart.

Guest kwikrnu

Which is why I posted of when the deputy came to my house. No one ever called me. As soon as I found out about my warrant I went down to their office when they opened the next morning. :shrug:

So, do you have the same inside info canyn does? What was the "real" warrant for?

There is no inside info! Canyn was just stating that sometimes the police don't release all the information to the media, things such as PRIOR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND won't always come to light in a 1 minute news report. The warrant was probably selected to be served that way because of information the department had on file about that individual

A warrant can be for jaywalking, but if the guy has a violent past they are going to go in late/early and try to surprise him.

Which is why I posted of when the deputy came to my house. No one ever called me. As soon as I found out about my warrant I went down to their office when they opened the next morning. :shrug:

I’m still missing the connection here? You said it was a civil warrant; the Deputy would have served you with it and left. Which is very different from an arrest warrant where he would have handcuffed you and hauled you off to jail.

If a knock on the door and handing you a piece of paper is all that is required; there really is no reason for a phone call.

Guest kwikrnu
I’m still missing the connection here? You said it was a civil warrant; the Deputy would have served you with it and left. Which is very different from an arrest warrant where he would have handcuffed you and hauled you off to jail.

If a knock on the door and handing you a piece of paper is all that is required; there really is no reason for a phone call.

There is not much difference. A simple phone call and someone could go down to the sheriffs office and go straight to be booked.

I had to sign a couple of documents and the deputy said she had to read the papers to me. It took a good 10 minutes.

Guest kwikrnu
There is no inside info! Canyn was just stating that sometimes the police don't release all the information to the media, things such as PRIOR CRIMINAL BACKGROUND won't always come to light in a 1 minute news report. The warrant was probably selected to be served that way because of information the department had on file about that individual

A warrant can be for jaywalking, but if the guy has a violent past they are going to go in late/early and try to surprise him.

If he was talking about prior history why didn't he say that? He said, "Just cause that is what the news reported doesnt mean that is all the warrant was for..."

His statement led me to believe the warrant was for other things as well.

If he was talking about prior history why didn't he say that? He said, "Just cause that is what the news reported doesnt mean that is all the warrant was for..."

His statement led me to believe the warrant was for other things as well.

It may have been, but I don't think Canyn meant he KNEW it was for other things, just that sometimes the media doesn't always get and/or tell the whole story, but in this case I can't see why any information pertaining to the warrant would be omitted.

There is not much difference. A simple phone call and someone could go down to the sheriffs office and go straight to be booked.

An excellent idea! I can’t imagine why someone has not already thought of this.

Instead of wasting your time on that mall crap, why don’t you write a proposal to the local Police Departments to implement this?

You can call it the Voldemort tactic. Just call up all the thugs and ask them to come on down and turn their self in. No danger to the Officers, the offender or the public. It really would be a win-win.

Oh… and could you ask them to bring with them the drugs that would normally be seized in the old school forced entry?

Guest kwikrnu
An excellent idea! I can’t imagine why someone has not already thought of this.

Instead of wasting your time on that mall crap, why don’t you write a proposal to the local Police Departments to implement this?

You can call it the Voldemort tactic. Just call up all the thugs and ask them to come on down and turn their self in. No danger to the Officers, the offender or the public. It really would be a win-win.

Oh… and could you ask them to bring with them the drugs that would normally be seized in the old school forced entry?

It would be a win win. It would be much safer. If the cops have evidence of drugs get a warrant for drugs.

Guest kwikrnu
It may have been, but I don't think Canyn meant he KNEW it was for other things, just that sometimes the media doesn't always get and/or tell the whole story, but in this case I can't see why any information pertaining to the warrant would be omitted.

I can't see it either, but canyn saying what he did I thought he must have inside information.

It would be a win win. It would be much safer. If the cops have evidence of drugs get a warrant for drugs.

No warrant needed when drugs (or anything else) are in plain view. That is the law…. And we are all about following the letter of the law… correct?

Guest kwikrnu
No warrant needed when drugs (or anything else) are in plain view. That is the law…. And we are all about following the letter of the law… correct?

I thought you were talking about going into people's homes.

I thought you were talking about going into people's homes.

I am. I’m talking about going in people’s home on an arrest warrant. If any amount of drugs or anything else illegal is in plain view I have a free pass to search anywhere in the rest of the house where that item could be.

Guest kwikrnu
I am. I’m talking about going in people’s home on an arrest warrant. If any amount of drugs or anything else illegal is in plain view I have a free pass to search anywhere in the rest of the house where that item could be.

That's cool with me. I'd just rather that cops gave people a chance to turn themselves in before doing flash bangs at 3am.

Guest shadow12

I agree with Kwik, We should just call the thugs and ask them to turn themselves in, Between 8-5 Monday through Friday. This way all of us LEO's could work a normal work week like a banker.

Perhaps we could just ask them to not commit crimes, then I could just retire and spend my time on my Harley. If we had just asked Ted Bundy to not kill people, maybe he would have listened. Can't we just be a kinder and gentler people. Why do we LEO's feel the need to carry firearms, Why do we have no knock warrants, we can just be nice to everyone and they will be nice to us. Damn I wish someone would have figured this out years ago. But then I would have had to get a different job.

COPS DO THE THINGS WE DO FOR A REASON, FOR SAFETY. MAINLY OURS.

I love this forum, but I have to say, sometimes the stupid crap gets to me. I have done this job a long time, not as long as some though. And it never fails to amaze me how there is always someone that knows how to do my job better. If anyone wants the way we do things changed, get the job, and change it from there. But until you go through the door first, not knowing what is on the other side, you don't get a vote in how we do things, PERIOD.

I apologize for my rant, and if anyone feels I have crossed the line, I apologize for that. But I am tired of why do cops do this and that. We do it becasue that is the way it is done.

You done just fine! Maybe schools should teach some of the reality of living with the rule of law as part of "social studies".

That way we could clean things up a bit quicker.

Judge: Mr. Perp are you a high school graduate

Perp: Yeah

Judge: So you were made aware of your rights granted by the constitution as well as commission of acts that violate others rights is a crime.

Perp: Well I didn't know it meant that and (insert common excuse for race, location, financial status, etc)....

Judge: Guilty. Sentence is 11 months, 29 days of incarceration to include daily community service between the hours of 8-5 and two hours of Societal Education from 7-9 Monday thru Saturday evenings. Sunday may be considered a day of rest and but you will be allowed to attend a religous service (non denominational) should you wish to.

• Administrator

At the risk of seeming like we're just censoring free speech... this thread seems to have outlived it's usefulness and everyone has had their say by now. Leaving it open just would promote more troll bashing, so I'm going to close it down.